Value of: Connor Brown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He was on a 30 goal pace last season. Sens 2nd leading scorer. Is locked up for two more years at $3.6M. 27 years old. Great two-way player. 5 short-handed goals.

But he doesn't really fit the sens rebuild timeline.

So what's he worth?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah, I'm asking how the hell it doesn't fit our "timeline. "

We suck. We have no timeline.
We don't suck. We were 10th worst last season and just crushed the habs 7-2 tonight and were a playoff team for the last 41 games we've played. 27 makes him a vet on our team and he's due for a big raise when he's closing in on 30. Keep up, man.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
We don't suck. We were 10th worst last season and just crushed the habs 7-2 tonight and were a playoff team for the last 41 games we've played. 27 makes him a vet on our team and he's due for a big raise when he's closing in on 30. Keep up, man.
You don't crush teams in preseason. It's literally a scrimmage game to judge chemistry. Brown is need to be resigned. You can't just ice just players under 25.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
You don't crush teams in preseason. It's literally a scrimmage game to judge chemistry. Brown is need to be resigned. You can't just ice just players under 25.
You're right about preseason. But I'm not going by the score. I'm going by the talent I saw on display.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Pretty good player with some leadership skills.
I don’t think he is a deadline acquisition guy tho so top value isn’t going to rise unless he puts up big numbers next two seasons.
He’s a mid to late second round pick or b prospect (young Connor Brown) right now is my guess. value could jump or decline obviously.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Pretty good player with some leadership skills.
I don’t think he is a deadline acquisition guy tho so top value isn’t going to rise unless he puts up big numbers next two seasons.
He’s a mid to late second round pick or b prospect (young Connor Brown) right now is my guess. value could jump or decline obviously.
Brown would return a mid to late 2nd very easily and then some lol. He probably could have returned near that when he was in Toronto.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Brown would return a mid to late 2nd very easily and then some lol. He probably could have returned near that when he was in Toronto.
You sound like a leaf fan!
Possibly a late second when he was traded to you but no top B prospect. He hadn’t nearly proven enough.
As for now, 2 more years on a fair contract and then UFA. It would require a naive GM overpaying to offer a first or quality prospect. what has Connor brown proven?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
We do suck, we've been a bottom 10 team for a while now.

We played a Habs preseason roster, are you nuts? Brian Bochenski would be in the hall of fame if we relied on the preseason.

We can extend him in January of next year if we want and he'll be 28. A 5-6 year contract would be ideal at that point.

Not everyone is going to demand 8 years.

Reactions: banks

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Possibly a late second when he was traded to you but no top B prospect. He hadn’t nearly proven enough.
As for now, 2 more years on a fair contract and then UFA. It would require a naive GM overpaying to offer a first or quality prospect. what has Connor brown proven?

He has 3 15+ goal seasons, two 20+ goal season, very good defensive player, has scored at a 50pt pace since coming to Ottawa, signed for 2 more years at 3.6m and he's only 27.

Ottawa wouldnt entertain a 2nd AND a B prospect, let alone one or the other.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I would love to have Brown back.
Maybe Amirov+2nd+Kerfoot+Engvall

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If the team is as good as you think, a player like Brown is a great piece to have as a luxury. If you’re wrong, he’s a necessity.

A team acquiring him would be like Tampa going out and getting Coleman or Goodrow.

At the deadline as a UFA you’re looking at around 1st round value. Yes, playoff teams will pay that. Now consider you get two cracks at the playoffs and get him for two full regular seasons as well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You sound like someone who doesn’t know the value of a player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He was on a 30 goal pace last season. Sens 2nd leading scorer. Is locked up for two more years at $3.6M. 27 years old. Great two-way player. 5 short-handed goals.

But he doesn't really fit the sens rebuild timeline.

So what's he worth?

I really don't see why... Unless we plan to continue rebuilding for 3+ more years, which would be stupid considering how stacked the u-25 pool is. At some point, you're just wasting some players early prime years

Connor Brown is just 27, he's an iron man and hasn't missed a game in years. Knock on wood but he doesn't have an injury history that suggests he's about to regress, he has at least 5-6 more good years IMO. He's the quintessential "older" veteran to have on a young team. He's an excellent skater with great work ethic and a non-stop motor, can't see him becoming "useless" anytime soon.

Ok I know you probably don't spend your evenings watching the Ottawa Senators but this just shows how underrated Connor Brown still is. So I just copy/paste these facts to inform people, spreading the Brown love. Connor Brown is approaching Selke Winger territory

- He was 2nd in takeaways last season (behind Mark Stone of course)
- He received Selke votes (17th)
- Total beast on the PK : routinely gets more scoring chances than the opposition
- used heavily in a defensive deployment (34.0 oZS% vs 66.0 dZS%) but still provides good offense (61st for Even Strenght Points among NHL players since 2019-20)
- He has scored at a 24 goals/50 pts pace (per 82 GP) in Ottawa (in 127 games, which is not a small sample size)

His speed, non-stop motor and flawless work ethic is a beautiful thing to watch. With only a 3.6 AAV for 2 more seasons... way too valuable for Ottawa and they love him a lot.

They need to extend him, not trade him, even if he gets a raise. If it comes to trading him, it will be much better than what you've been suggesting.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If at 50% he should get a near identical return to Coleman. Similar player

Its a great comp right down to the contract situation, ie a team getting Brown this year will have him for an extra year at a great price…this as much as anything adds a lot of value.

He won’t pull an A core prospect but for a true contending team I don’t see why he can’t pull a B+ prospect and a late, late 1st like Coleman did (with Nolan Foote and a late 1st). Now I’ve always considered Foote an overrated prospect and I think that’s he’s done very little to change that but he still was a late 1st round pick.

Using that as a basis - Amirov, a 2nd and some contracts is probably a fair ask from the Leafs. Amirov was a higher pick than Foote so the pick gets lowered a bit. I’m not saying the Leafs would do it (or the Sens for that matter) - just that it seems a reasonable ask based on a very similar player comp. And again that would only be if the Sens actually decided they needed to deal him -the Sens have so many young prospects at this point there may not be a lot of appetite for this. He might just be a guy it is worth re-upping long term to be a leader for the long-haul.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Its a great comp right down to the contract situation, ie a team getting Brown this year will have him for an extra year at a great price…this as much as anything adds a lot of value.

He won’t pull an A core prospect but for a true contending team I don’t see why he can’t pull a B+ prospect and a late, late 1st like Coleman did (with Nolan Foote and a late 1st). Now I’ve always considered Foote an overrated prospect and I think that’s he’s done very little to change that but he still was a late 1st round pick.

Using that as a basis - Amirov, a 2nd and some contracts is probably a fair ask from the Leafs. Amirov was a higher pick than Foote so the pick gets lowered a bit. I’m not saying the Leafs would do it (or the Sens for that matter) - just that it seems a reasonable ask based on a very similar player comp.

That would be a very solid offer although I just dont see Ottawa trading Brown

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
That would be a very solid offer although I just dont see Ottawa trading Brown

Yeah I just amended that post with a bit more though from the Sens side. I’d do my best to try and keep Brown around honestly. But every serious contender would be interested in 1.5 years of Brown @ $3.6 million so maybe the value back becomes irresistible at some point? I dunno what Sens fans feel about the point at which asset collecting becomes a little overkill and then eventually you find yourself needing more players like, well Brown, to actually start being serious about winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad