Conn Smythe Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 1: 2013 Kane vs 2018 Ovechkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #9 (Round 1): Patrick Kane (2013) vs Alexander Ovechkin (2018)

Patrick Kane (2012-13):

23 GP 9 G 10 A 19 Points

Alexander Ovechkin (2017-18):
24 GP 15 G 12 A 27 Points

Round 1 Matchups:
01 Roy
vs 21 Vasilevsky Thread
02 Lidstrom vs 22 Makar Thread
03 Giguere
vs 11 Thomas Thread
04 Richards vs 14 Williams Thread
06 Ward vs 12 Quick Thread
07 Niedermayer vs 19 O’Reilly (Still Active) Thread
08 Zetterberg vs 09 Malkin Thread
10 Toews vs 17 Crosby (Still Active) Thread
13 Kane vs 18 Ovechkin
15 Keith vs 20 Hedman
16 Crosby vs 23 Marchessault

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Normally, I don't like just looking at goal, assist and point totals, but in this particular case I think the fact that Ovechkin beat him in all of those categories is enough to warrant voting for him.

I assume scoring was a little lower in the 2013 playoffs, but Ovechkin was more consistent during the first three rounds from what I remember.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont even know what the argument for Kane is here…

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Such a weird one for Patrick Kane.

This is arguably his worst playoff run - yet that's the one he won the smythe in. Still a great performance obviously, but I don't think it'll hold up well in this tournament.

Alex Ovechkin doesn't necessarily have one of the strongest conn smythe performances ever - but it's still a very solid run. It's easily him here.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ovechkin easily. Kane is offence only, Ovechkin brought more offence and still had a physical element even if he wasn't that dynamic anymore.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Ovechkin’s year gets a bit underrated because of Kuznetsov’s point totals and the fact he wasn’t as dynamic as peak Ovi. He was consistently productive in every series, provided a ton of physicality on a team that was using that to wear opponents down and had a number of big moments. His 15 goals is also tied with Crosby for most in a run since Sakic in ‘96 (we'll see where Hyman ends up).

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Kane only won the Smythe because the PHWA has a habit of 'making up' for previous votes. Should've gone to Crawford or Duncan Keith.

Ovechkin easily.

I dont think they were ‘making up’ for anything so much as the same people voting on the award had spent the previous week shitting all over Crawford for one weak performance in a game he allowed fewer goals than the other guy.

None of those hacks were going to admit they jumped all over the easy narrative and were proven wrong.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pretty much have to be hater to be voting Kane here. Can't help but notice none of them are even trying to justify their votes with a rational basis.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
It was, the voters were making it up to him

Of course it doesn't help back then the award was voted on in the second intermission, don't know if that is still the case

Lol, no they weren't, and you have nothing to base that on.

Kane wasn't even the second-favorite for the Smythe behind Toews when all was said and done in 2010. The other Blackhawk people were pushing hardest for was Keith.

Kane got the award in large part because the award was, at the time, voted on by a group of writers composed primarily of Blackhawks and Bruins writers, plus a few national writers. The Bruins writers weren't paying attention to Blackhawks through the bulk of the playoffs, they only voted based on the Final. Kane had a big Final, but we all know anybody that watched every game that run would vote for Crawford.

The same thing happened in 2014, and in 2015, they changed the composition of the Conn Smythe voting pool, increasing the number of voters and increasing the number of national voters.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pretty much have to be hater to be voting Kane here. Can't help but notice none of them are even trying to justify their votes with a rational basis.
I think it's Ovie but the argument for Kane would run something like this.

1. He lead his team in scoring overall and in the finals as well.

Ovechkin was second and fourth.

A Keith/Kuznetsov poll would have been more fruit full but voters do these things and that's fair.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I doubt it, Kane in 2010 wasn't some legendary performance. I doubt he was second in voting.

Maybe, we'll never know I guess... it just odd I don't know if you can find a Conn Smythe winner who had a worse performance in the final than Toews and it not like Toews was in some legendary performance either.

But this time was also the start of the "Is Toews better than Crosby?" debate in the hockey world and also when Kane and Keith were getting some rather negative stories and rumors spread in circles.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Kane was definitely a weak choice for CS I'm 2013. Might be weakest choice since Vernon in 97. Crawford or Keith should have won it.

Ovechkin wasn't a slam dunk pick. But he still deserved it. Kuznetsov would have been a deserving winner too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe, we'll never know I guess... it just odd I don't know if you can find a Conn Smythe winner who had a worse performance in the final than Toews and it not like Toews was in some legendary performance either.

But this time was also the start of the "Is Toews better than Crosby?" debate in the hockey world and also when Kane and Keith were getting some rather negative stories and rumors spread in circles.
It would be nice if they would release historic Conn Smythe voting for the curiosity. I assume Keith was second that year, not sure. The media definitely loved Toews way more than it did Kane at the time, so if they were anywhere close I have no doubt Toews would be the pick.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad