Conn Smythe Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 1: 2008 Zetterberg vs 2009 Malkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #7 (Round 1): Henrik Zetterberg (2008) vs Evgeni Malkin (2009)

Henrik Zetterberg (2007-08):

22 GP 13 G 14 A 27 Points

Evgeni Malkin (2008-09):
24 GP 14 G 22 A 36 Points

Round 1 Matchups:
01 Roy
vs 21 Vasilevsky Thread
02 Lidstrom vs 22 Makar Thread
03 Giguere
vs 11 Thomas Thread
04 Richards vs 14 Williams Thread
06 Ward vs 12 Quick Thread
07 Niedermayer vs 19 O’Reilly (Still Active)
08 Zetterberg vs 09 Malkin
10 Toews vs 17 Crosby
13 Kane vs 18 Ovechkin
15 Keith vs 20 Hedman
16 Crosby vs 23 Marchessault

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

These are the two best forward CS performances and having them go head to head is a shame. What Zetterberg did in 08 was incredible. And what Malkin did the next year was incredible as well. But, homer vote to Geno

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I don't put much stock into big scoring stats in the new NHL playoffs (teams load up on star studded units more than ever before and most importantly game is just too soft even in the playoffs), but Malkin did this while playing with some pretty low end wingers (of course he played with Crosby a ton in the regular season and even a got a good chunk of points together in the playoffs on the powerplay but still a far cry from the stacked lines/units we have today).

Also, Malkin has just historically been underrated. If he wasn't flaky at times and dealing with nagging injuries at others, he'd for sure be top 100 lol

Zetterberg is just a hockey player's hockey player, especially at his best, which he was around the 2007-2008 season and playoffs.

He was the Barkov of that time, in the sense that he got all the Gretzky love, "best player in the world" "best Swedish player ever" and so on (don't worry I ain't comparing Z to a zoomer gen player otherwise).

Homer voted Zetterberg, so close though, and if I wasn't a Wings fan maybe I'd go Malkin by the slimmest of margins

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Zetterberg was great but it has to be Malkin for me, too unstoppable at times though playoffs and a lot of the time as a one man army. The best forward performance in this poll against probably the second best forward performance.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think these are the two best forward seasons here. I’m honestly pretty torn. Malkin’s offense was incredibly, especially given linemates, but Zetterberg’s two-way game was undeniable.
Zetterberg was great but it has to be Malkin for me, too unstoppable at times though playoffs and a lot of the time as a one man army. The best forward performance in this poll against probably the second best forward performance.
I think the offense and support make this one for Malkin but Zetterberg is really close.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Zetterberg was a machine, but he was on one of the best, deepest teams of the cap era.

Malkin, meanwhile, helped Crosby carry a VERY top heavy Penguins team to a cup.

So as far as value to their team, Malkin wins this, even if their raw impact was relatively close.

Wish this hadnt been a 1st round matchup.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think these are the two best forward seasons here. I’m honestly pretty torn. Malkin’s offense was incredibly, especially given linemates, but Zetterberg’s two-way game was undeniable.
Never really thought of it but it's true that there aren't many forward standout smythe runs this century. Most of the best runs are from goalies or defensemen.

Which is weird - because if you go back 20 years prior, so from ~1980 to 1999, the majority of the best smythe runs are all by forwards.

I did vote Malkin, I think he is probably #1 in this tournament. Zetterberg great too, but I prefer Malkin in 2009.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Malkin, meanwhile, helped Crosby carry a VERY top heavy Penguins team to a cup.

Was it top heavy and "carried?" Scoring-wise I think you can make that case but if you look at the full picture, in terms of team depth, Jordan Staal was the 3C. He was pretty good. Letang, Cooke, Dupuis, Kunitz, Gonchar, Orpik, Fleury - that team actually had no problem winning without Crosby (.619 points % without Crosby in extended time) when he was injured and we have a very large sample size to draw from. Same goes for Malkin.

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Was it top heavy and "carried?" Scoring-wise I think you can make that case but if you look at the full picture, in terms of team depth, Jordan Staal was the 3C. He was pretty good. Letang, Cooke, Dupuis, Kunitz, Gonchar, Orpik, Fleury - that team actually had no problem winning without Crosby (.619 points % without Crosby in extended time) when he was injured and we have a very large sample size to draw from. Same goes for Malkin.
Jordan Staal had 9 points and was -5.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Never really thought of it but it's true that there aren't many forward standout smythe runs this century. Most of the best runs are from goalies or defensemen.

Which is weird - because if you go back 20 years prior, so from ~1980 to 1999, the majority of the best smythe runs are all by forwards.

I did vote Malkin, I think he is probably #1 in this tournament. Zetterberg great too, but I prefer Malkin in 2009.

It’s funny too because some of the best forward runs didn’t win Smythes. Crosby in 2009 was better than either of his actual Smythes. Kucherov in 2020 and 2021 was better than probably any other forward win in this period other than these two.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It’s funny too because some of the best forward runs didn’t win Smythes. Crosby in 2009 was better than either of his actual Smythes. Kucherov in 2020 and 2021 was better than probably any other forward win in this period other than these two.
Cant say crosby was better in 09 than 17. Due to finals

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This isn’t fair to Zetterberg whose Smythe was very good. Malkin though was top 3 post lockout.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad