Conn Smythe Tournament (1977-00) Round 2: 1993 Roy vs 1992 Lemieux

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #4 (Round 2): Patrick Roy (1993) vs Mario Lemeiux (1992)

Patrick Roy (1992-93):

20 GP 16 W 2.13 GAA .929 Sv%

Mario Lemieux (1991-92):
15 GP 16 G 18 A 34 Points

Round 2 Matchups:
Yzerman 98 vs Ranford 90 (Still Active) Thread
Sakic 96 vs Roy 86 (Still Active) Thread
Leetch 94 vs MacInnis 89 Thread
Roy 93 vs Lemieux 92
Lemieux 91 vs Gretzky 88
Gretzky 85 vs Lafleur 77

Round 1 Results

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
No matter how brilliant Lemieux was, and he always was when he played, I just can’t give the nod to the guy who missed 30% of his team’s playoff run.

It speaks to the strength of that Pittsburgh team when one of the four greatest players ever can miss most of the second round and they were still able to dispatch the Presidents’ trophy winner. They also staked him to a 1-0 lead in the Conference Finals before he returned (he also missed a game in the opening round). If they couldn’t win against the Rangers, essentially without him, his story changes a lot.

Roy again.

Reactions: Regal

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
This run by Roy is far more deserving of its lofty status than 1986, although I will still note that the he and the Habs were fortunate in who they got to avoid in the playoffs and especially that both Mogilny and the LaFontaine went down in the second of game 3 of the division finals, series was 2-0 Habs but a very close 2-0, and that game 3 and the rest of the series may look mighty different if the Sabres had their two superstars, they were giving Montreal fits as it was.

Lemieux's best run in terms of play from wire to wire, the thing I always point to when thinking about the most perfect (finesse) hockey player we have seen so far, but he missed an entire series worth. Still when he was playing he was a one man band even if he didn't necessarily need to be.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
No matter how brilliant Lemieux was, and he always was when he played, I just can’t give the nod to the guy who missed 30% of his team’s playoff run.

It speaks to the strength of that Pittsburgh team when one of the four greatest players ever can miss most of the second round and they were still able to dispatch the Presidents’ trophy winner. They also staked him to a 1-0 lead in the Conference Finals before he returned (he also missed a game in the opening round). If they couldn’t win against the Rangers, essentially without him, his story changes a lot.

Roy again.

Agreed. It's tough to precisely compare a goalie to a skater, but even though Lemieux was probably better on a per-game basis, I can't overlook him missing close to one-third of his team's games (and they had a winning record without him).

Reactions: Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
As mentioned, I’m giving it to Roy due to Lemieux’s health. If he played every game I’m not sure who it’d be though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Once Lemieux came back, the Penguins went 13-2, including an 8-0 run through the ECF and SCF. He led the playoffs with 34pts in 15gp. That's 2.7 PPG and was over 1.0 GPG. Going goal per game in the playoffs is a pretty rare feat. Wayne did it once. Hull, once. Lemieux, twice.

Both Conn Smythes are super impressive but I can't ignore this level of offensive output.

Oddly, one of the greatest showdowns of the 90s could have been Pit vs Mtl in the ECF. Isles squeaked past the powerhouse Pens and then got trounced by the Canadians. Penguins would have been a much better series.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Once Lemieux came back, the Penguins went 13-2, including an 8-0 run through the ECF and SCF. He led the playoffs with 34pts in 15gp. That's 2.7 PPG and was over 1.0 GPG. Going goal per game in the playoffs is a pretty rare feat. Wayne did it once. Hull, once. Lemieux, twice.

Both Conn Smythes are super impressive but I can't ignore this level of offensive output.

Oddly, one of the greatest showdowns of the 90s could have been Pit vs Mtl in the ECF. Isles squeaked past the powerhouse Pens and then got trounced by the Canadians. Penguins would have been a much better series.

Gretzky was reduced to 7 point in a gentleman's sweep.
Pretty sure Mario wouldn't have fared a whole lot better. Roy was absolutely dialed in that year.

1722371041340.png

Reactions: SEALBound

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Gretzky was reduced to 7 point in a gentleman's sweep.
Pretty sure Mario wouldn't have fared a whole lot better. Roy was absolutely dialed in that year.

View attachment 898095

I don't think Pittsburgh matched up that well against Montreal (how Buffalo broke their system apart was just their speed off the rush and getting to loose pucks) but there was a pretty huge difference between Lemieux and Gretzky in 1993. But Montreal also missed much stronger and worse matchup teams in the Campbell, always think about the what if of Detroit going up against most other teams except Toronto in 1993, feel we would have smoked the Habs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lemieux had a 0.91 PPG edge on his closest teammate that year in the playoffs. That's a lot bigger than any of Gretzky's leads in cup winning years - where Gretzky always did great, but so did his teammates.

No question in my mind Lemieux is better than Roy on a per game basis in this run.

Whether to vote him ahead of Roy based on games played is difficult. This might be the best goalie smythe win of all-time for me. All those OT wins by Roy are spectacular.

I'm undecided

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Lemieux gets penalized for missing games here. Roy.

Lemieux had a 0.91 PPG edge on his closest teammate that year in the playoffs. That's a lot bigger than any of Gretzky's leads in cup winning years - where Gretzky always did great, but so did his teammates.

No question in my mind Lemieux is better than Roy on a per game basis in this run.

Whether to vote him ahead of Roy based on games played is difficult. This might be the best goalie smythe win of all-time for me. All those OT wins by Roy are spectacular.

I'm undecided
10-0 in OT games in a single playoff run will likely never be repeated again. Just amazing.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Roy's 1993 playoffs run should Win this entire poll

What he did during those playoffs will not be replicated, ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad