Conn Smythe Tournament (1977-00) Round 1: 1999 Nieuwendyk vs 1986 Roy

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #2 (Round 1): Joe Nieuwendyk (1999) vs Patrick Roy (1986)

Joe Nieuwendyk (1998-99):
23 GP 11 G 10 A 21 Points

Patrick Roy (1985-86):
20 GP 15 W 1.93 GAA .923 Sv% 1 Shutout

Round 1 Matchups:
Stevens 00 vs Leetch 94 Thread
Nieuwendyk 99 vs Roy 86
Yzerman 98 vs Gainey 79
Vernon 97 vs Gretzky 88
Sakic 96 vs Bossy 82
C Lemeiux 95 vs Lemieux 92
Roy 93 vs Smith 83
Lemieux 91 vs Goring 81
Ranford 90 vs Hextall 87
MacInnis 89 vs Robinson 78
Gretzky 85 vs Messier 84
Trottier 80 vs Lafleur 77

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Roy's 1986 seems to get the stature of this mega dominant win now, similar to his 1993, however, it seems hardly the case.

It was one of the big surprises in the little Conn Smythe project I did looking up who was in the running before/who was runner ups/what was the voting. So like you didn't see someone like Butch Goring, who always gets chirped for his win, have his coach say he should thank his teammates and puck luck, and you didn't have an opponent say "yeah I don't want to take anything away from him but..." lol

By the way check how the Conn Smythe was awarded back then, in the locker room of the team, they did it like this for Hextall the next year too, could have saved a lot of embarrassment for everyone had they done it like that this year for McDavid

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Roy's 1986 seems to get the stature of this mega dominant win now, similar to his 1993, however, it seems hardly the case.

It was one of the big surprises in the little Conn Smythe project I did looking up who was in the running before/who was runner ups/what was the voting. So like you didn't see someone like Butch Goring, who always gets chirped for his win, have his coach say he should thank his teammates and puck luck, and you didn't have an opponent say "yeah I don't want to take anything away from him but..." lol

By the way check how the Conn Smythe was awarded back then, in the locker room of the team, they did it like this for Hextall the next year too, could have saved a lot of embarrassment for everyone had they done it like that this year for McDavid

Yeah I do recall Lemieux's name and a few others being in the conversation before Montreal won the cup. Roy wasn't absolutely stellar in the first few games to be fair. I'd still rank it pretty high, probably tier 2.

Do you know when they started awarding the smythe on the ice? I would assume at least as early as 92 or 93

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Yeah I do recall Lemieux's name and a few others being in the conversation before Montreal won the cup. Roy wasn't absolutely stellar in the first few games to be fair. I'd still rank it pretty high, probably tier 2.

Do you know when they started awarding the smythe on the ice? I would assume at least as early as 92 or 93

yeah seems like when Bettman became commish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad