Conn Smythe Tournament (1977-00) Round 1: 1991 Lemieux vs 1981 Goring

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #8 (Round 1): Mario Lemeiux (1991) vs Butch Goring (1981)

Mario Lemieux (1990-91):

23 GP 16 G 28 A 44 Points

Butch Goring (1980-81):

18 GP 10 G 10 A 20 Points

Round 1 Matchups:
Stevens 00 vs Leetch 94 Thread
Nieuwendyk 99 vs Roy 86 Thread
Yzerman 98 vs Gainey 79 Thread
Vernon 97 vs Gretzky 88 Thread
Sakic 96 vs Bossy 82 Thread
C Lemeiux 95 vs Lemieux 92 Thread
Roy 93 vs Smith 83 Thread
Lemieux 91 vs Goring 81
Ranford 90 vs Hextall 87
MacInnis 89 vs Robinson 78
Gretzky 85 vs Messier 84
Trottier 80 vs Lafleur 77

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can anyone shed some light on why Butch Goring won? It's not a run I'm particularly familiar with. But:

Mike Bossy - 35 points, 17 goals, 3 GWG +14
Brian Trottier - 29 points, 11 goals, 1 GWG +18
Denis Potvin - 25 points, 8 goals, 2 GWG, +18
vs
Goring - 20 points, 10 goals, 2 GWG, +6

It seems that he has 3 teammates who were very clearly better than him these playoffs. Why did he win? What was the rationale or thought process? Nothing really jumps out looking at stats, except that he was clearly behind all 3.

Either way - this is obviously Lemieux.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Very unfortunate for Butch Goring to be dealt this matchup lol, kinda like Vernon where a guy who already gets chirped after the fact gotta deal with maybe the winner of the poll.

Goring not only won the Conn Smythe, he won the Sport Magazine MVP of the finals, Unlike say Roy's 1986 where you had a player on the opposing team kinda throw shade on the win, the North Stars couldn't help but heap praise on Goring.

1721149062809.png

Once again a case of running up scores in earlier series where the other team is outmatched paints a drastically different picture after the fact when stats and player reputation is all that remains. Happens today too.

Pointing what I said before about Goring

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Can anyone shed some light on why Butch Goring won? It's not a run I'm particularly familiar with. But:

vs

It seems that he has 3 teammates who were very clearly better than him these playoffs. Why did he win? What was the rationale or thought process? Nothing really jumps out looking at stats, except that he was clearly behind all 3.

Strong SCF showing basically. He had a hattrick in Game Three and two goals in Game Five.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Strong SCF showing basically. He had a hattrick in Game Three and two goals in Game Five.

Still had less points than Bossy in finals. 8 points to 7

Finals:

Bossy 8 points (4 goals)
Goring 7 points (5 goals)
Trottier 7 points (2 goals)
Potvin 6 points (2 goals)

Reactions: DitchMarner

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

vs

Most people who watched the '81 playoffs expected Goring to win. In addition to his five goals in the finals, Goring played in all situations, he was good defensively, very tenacious (without taking penalties), strong skater....he really exemplified the Islanders style of play as well as anybody. He was a standout. He always had pretty good offensive skill too. Just a very important player for the Isles.

Reactions: Guttersniped

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Most people who watched the '81 playoffs expected Goring to win. In addition to his five goals in the finals, Goring played in all situations, he was good defensively, very tenacious (without taking penalties), strong skater....he really exemplified the Islanders style of play as well as anybody. He was a standout. He always had pretty good offensive skill too. Just a very important player for the Isles.

Thanks for the extra input. It's obviously before my time, so I have no direct experience of watching/following that series - but that still boggles my mind.

He was good defensively? But - wouldn't Trottier have been better? Trottier who also scored 7 points in finals, but way more points overall?

I have trouble envisioning something like that happening today. Imagine if instead of McDavid getting the smythe in 2024, they'd have given it to someone else on his team with ~20 less points because he's more of a heart and soul type player. It's just very strange....

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Thanks for the extra input. It's obviously before my time, so I have no direct experience of watching/following that series - but that still boggles my mind.

He was good defensively? But - wouldn't Trottier have been better? Trottier who also scored 7 points in finals, but way more points overall?

I have trouble envisioning something like that happening today. Imagine if instead of McDavid getting the smythe in 2024, they'd have given it to someone else on his team with ~20 less points because he's more of a heart and soul type player. It's just very strange....
It's not strange at all, and certainly wasn't considered so at the time. It's only seen as strange by some people now who weren't watching at the time.

Goring receiving the Conn Smythe was expected by most observers. He was certainly considered more important to the team defensively than Trottier was. And Goring had different dimensions to his game - nobody skated all over the ice tirelessly like Goring did.

The comparison to McDavid is not apt. For one thing, Trottier and Bossy weren't McDavid. But also, the context is important. Players like Goring were bigger standouts in 1981 than they are now, when coaching and defense are more prominent. Goring was a special player for the Islanders.

Still, Trottier or Bossy could've won the Conn Smythe too.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I’m sorry I messed with the result, I’m not usually trolling.

But I can defend my vote, I’m sure I can.

Goring had that certain je ne sais quoi in 1981. And a game winner in the cup finals, indeed, Mario didn’t win a single game when push came to show.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Goring had that certain je ne sais quoi in 1981. And a game winner in the cup finals, indeed, Mario didn’t win a single game when push came to show.

Oh come on.

Goring shouldn't even have won his. Lemieux's is in contention for the very best playoff run of all-time. It's fine if you think highly of Goring's run - but that's hell of a bridge to gap to slot him above Lemieux.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Oh come on.

Goring shouldn't even have won his. Lemieux's is in contention for the very best playoff run of all-time. It's fine if you think highly of Goring's run - but that's hell of a bridge to gap to slot him above Lemieux.

It’s a stupid poll, the comparison is ridiculous, I was joking.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014

appreciate you giving Goring a vote!

did not deserve a clean sweep (probably from many people who didn't even watch him or know who he even is lol)

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad