Congratulations to the Montreal Canadiens

HabsChik*

First in goals against in the Eastern conference with 86. Third overall in the NHL. We have an amazing defense. Way to start off the new year.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'd be very curious to know how often we allow 2v1 and breakaways compared to the rest of the league over the past year and a half, or even just this season.

My impression is that we are ahead of other teams on that front.

Pricef*

OP: Please do not post ANYTHING positive about the Habs. This is where all positive things about them go to die.:rant:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Elliot Friedman has Price as the MVP of the league. Based on our goals for,our bad PP and our great record, I have to agree with him.

HabsChik*

OP: Please do not post ANYTHING positive about the Habs. This is where all positive things about them go to die.:rant:

Yeah it was pretty much the meaning behind my post. I read a post by a Mod the other day and found the ignore button. It's amazing how the place is so peaceful for my positive mind now ;)

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
While a lot of that is obviously because of Price, our defense is nowhere near as bad as the complaining on this board suggests.

Probably around 10th in the league.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
While a lot of that is obviously because of Price, our defense is nowhere near as bad as the complaining on this board suggests.

Probably around 10th in the league.

according to this board we should be 31st in the league and MT is just a very lucky man who somehow managed to beat the odds for over 2 years!

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I think PK Subban deserves a lot of credit too. It's ironic that he still has an 'offensive defenseman' reputation from his league debut back in 2009-2010; he's actually a BEAST on defense. He has become a very well-rounded defenseman.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It's an impressive feat and deserves appreciation, but I think it's more a reflection of the great goaltending than anything else.

If anyone has stats on scoring chances allowed to goals against ratio, I would be surprised if we aren't at or close to the top of that list, meaning that the scoring chances are still being allowed at a relatively high clip, but the goalies are just plain stopping them

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I think PK Subban deserves a lot of credit too. It's ironic that he still has an 'offensive defenseman' reputation from his league debut back in 2009-2010; he's actually a BEAST on defense. He has become a very well-rounded defenseman.

Our leaders have been our leaders so far this year. P.K. and Markov have been our best D, Price has been our best player and Pacioretty our main offensive threat. I wish Plekanec could feed his wingers a bit more, but he's still an important player for this team.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Elliot Friedman has Price as the MVP of the league. Based on our goals for,our bad PP and our great record, I have to agree with him.

Yet, last season, our back up - Budaj - had a similar win rate playing against teams with a superior win %. A back up who isn't even in the league anymore this season. I wonder how that happens ?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Our defense is average.

Our goalie is elite.

That's all there is to it.

Subban is elite, Markov is top pairing.

The rest are #4-#6s with no real #3. Still, when the first two play big minutes it's bound to translate into more than 'average'. We're not top tier by any means but I don't think we're 15-16th(average) with those two in the fold.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's an impressive feat and deserves appreciation, but I think it's more a reflection of the great goaltending than anything else.

If anyone has stats on scoring chances allowed to goals against ratio, I would be surprised if we aren't at or close to the top of that list, meaning that the scoring chances are still being allowed at a relatively high clip, but the goalies are just plain stopping them

I'd love to see that statistic in comparison with the rest of the league. I doubt the results are what you think they are.

Price is very good this season but he couldn't prevent the team from finishing 3rd last a few years ago. So some credit has to go to the team for sure.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009

The rest are #4-#6s with no real #3. Still, when the first two play big minutes it's bound to translate into more than 'average'. We're not top tier by any means but I don't think we're 15-16th(average) with those two in the fold.

I think Beaulieu is getting there and the refreshing thing about his situation, Therrien is opening up to him as well. I think Nate's problem was from the shoulders up and he's improved on that. The results are proof of the changes he's made.

So Habs could be on their way to having a very good #3 in Beaulieu. Gonchar, for this season, compliments Beaulieu well, so along with Markov and Subban, there's your top-4. The rest of the defensive squad are underwhelming and that's a shame because I had faith in Emelin turning things around.

I retract that statement of "no defense". They have an okay defensive squad and an elite goaltender.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I see Markov as more of a second pairing guy as of right now.

Come to think of it, is he that much better than what Gonchar has showed us since we traded for him? They play a very similar game.

I think we need a solid all-around minute eater kind of defenseman, either a #2 or #3, for me to really trust our defense. I have minimal trust in it right now, hence why I'd refrain calling it good.

Emelin is our trump card. When he plays at the top of his game, he's actually a decent #3/#4. He often plays like a #5, however.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think Beaulieu is getting there and the refreshing thing about his situation, Therrien is opening up to him as well. I think Nate's problem was from the shoulders up and he's improved on that. The results are proof of the changes he's made.

So Habs could be on their way to having a very good #3 in Beaulieu. Gonchar, for this season, compliments Beaulieu well, so along with Markov and Subban, there's your top-4. The rest of the defensive squad are underwhelming and that's a shame because I had faith in Emelin turning things around.

I retract that statement of "no defense". They have an okay defensive squad and an elite goaltender.

Emelin and Gilbert are fine on the third pairing, we just need Beaulieu to develop into a top pairing d-man while Markov declines into a lesser role on the 2nd pairing. I'd say that's doable by the end of next season. And Tinordi should be on the team by that point. I'm hoping Nygren can replace Gilbert in a few years. Eventually run:

Beaulieu - Subban
Tinordi - XXXX
XXXX - Nygren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad