Congratulations Miikka Kiprusoff!

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I just realized that this was Kippers 2nd last season in his contract and remembered he signed one of those front loaded contracts and was wondering if anyone else is worried about this. Because next season he only makes $1.5mill. Do you think he's going to want to come back and play for that low of money or do you guys think he was always planning on this season being his last when he signed this contract?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
300 wins is no mean feat. Especially all with one team.

If he retires a Flame, I wonder if the organization will retire his jersey. He does have a Vezina and the Cup run, and is the best goalie in the franchise's history. Don't know if it's enough though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I just realized that this was Kippers 2nd last season in his contract and remembered he signed one of those front loaded contracts and was wondering if anyone else is worried about this. Because next season he only makes $1.5mill. Do you think he's going to want to come back and play for that low of money or do you guys think he was always planning on this season being his last when he signed this contract?

There was a rumor that came out when he signed his contract that he wasn't going to play out the final year. It was just an extra year tacked on to reduce the cap hit as seen in this article.

Don't know if there's any veracity to it though, and even if there was, he could have changed his mind. If he feels he's still playing at a high enough level, he may decide to stick it out for a little while longer. Maybe he wants to win a Cup before he retires. Then again, he still goes back to Finland every summer. Maybe he'd rather play out his final years at home.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
There was a rumor that came out when he signed his contract that he wasn't going to play out the final year. It was just an extra year tacked on to reduce the cap hit as seen in this article.

Don't know if there's any veracity to it though, and even if there was, he could have changed his mind. If he feels he's still playing at a high enough level, he may decide to stick it out for a little while longer. Maybe he wants to win a Cup before he retires. Then again, he still goes back to Finland every summer. Maybe he'd rather play out his final years at home.

In the summer Kipper did a interview for a Finnish newspaper, (tried to find it, couldn't) Kiprusoff was talking about what he plans to do after his contract, and he said he would love to continue playing with the Flames, but if the Flames didn't re-sign him he would go coach his team in Turku, and that he only wanted in Calgary, so thats hopeful at least.

I looked again and couldn't find it so take this with a grain of salt but I remember reading it.

Sep 13, 2009
300 wins is no mean feat. Especially all with one team.

If he retires a Flame, I wonder if the organization will retire his jersey. He does have a Vezina and the Cup run, and is the best goalie in the franchise's history. Don't know if it's enough though.

What more does he have to do, reinvent the wheel? :huh:

You can bet nobody will ever wear #12 or #34 again for the Flames.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
What more does he have to do, reinvent the wheel? :huh:

You can bet nobody will ever wear #12 or #34 again for the Flames.

I don't think there is even a question about either number, the only question I have is are his career stats enough to get him a spot in the HoF, my guess is not yet, if he plays 4 or 5 more years of good-great goaltending, then he will likely break the 400 win mark and that significantly improves his chances, as there are no eligible goalies with 400 wins not in the HoF, and his career save percentage is 3rd all-time of goalies winning more than 300 games. My guess is Jersey retired, no question, HoF, quite possibly, as he may make it to 400 wins on a team many consider to be quite inferior to the rest of the league.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think there is even a question about either number, the only question I have is are his career stats enough to get him a spot in the HoF, my guess is not yet, if he plays 4 or 5 more years of good-great goaltending, then he will likely break the 400 win mark and that significantly improves his chances, as there are no eligible goalies with 400 wins not in the HoF, and his career save percentage is 3rd all-time of goalies winning more than 300 games. My guess is Jersey retired, no question, HoF, quite possibly, as he may make it to 400 wins on a team many consider to be quite inferior to the rest of the league.

Hard to say really if he will make the HHOF. If he walks at the end of this year to Finland then I doubt it, if he continues playing here or somewhere else in the NHL and gets into the playoffs a couple more times then I could see it.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
I wonder if that was planned, so in the future we can look up to the rafters and see "1 2 3 4"? :sarcasm:

Wow, I never noticed that before. That's epic, they better retire their jerseys at the same time so when you look up at the sanctions you see "1 2 3 4."

Also, I don't know if I can imagine Kipper playing on any other team. I hope he can keep playing at this level for another "9-10 years." That way, flames won trade him and he can retire with Iggy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad