Confidence level in goaltending for upcoming season (23/24)?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don’t know what to make of Husso.

It went from “we might have our long year solution” to “this guy ain’t it” real quick for me.

These guys are not good for my goalie trust issues.

Husso is still a bit of an unknown, all things considered. I know enough to say he's a journeyman, and not a disaster, but is he capable of being a good starter? This year is really his big test.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
like a 3 maybe

Husso gets pretty overhyped, he's 28 and still doesn't really have much of an NHL track record but the other 2/3rds of his NHL career other than his one good year in St. Louis has been pretty bad and Reimer and Lyon are nothing of note
I can't discount Husso because of his age. Linus Ullmark is a year older and was pretty pedestrian until recently. Yeah, Boston is a better team but he didn't win a Vezina being average.

It's almost a cliche here that goalies are unpredictable but there's merit to it. There's no other position that has as many late bloomers, flashes in the pan, or one hit wonders (hello Darcy Keumper!). That said, I think Husso can carve out a path as a decent starter if he has support.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can't discount Husso because of his age. Linus Ullmark is a year older and was pretty pedestrian until recently. Yeah, Boston is a better team but he didn't win a Vezina being average.

It's almost a cliche here that goalies are unpredictable but there's merit to it. There's no other position that has as many late bloomers, flashes in the pan, or one hit wonders (hello Darcy Keumper!). That said, I think Husso can carve out a path as a decent starter if he has support.
Darcy Keumper has a .920 save percentage for half of the years in his career. He has a .910 for the other years really. If you go by performance with team. Playing .920 hockey with the Coyotes wasn't a small feat. I have never been his biggest fan. I don't really know what to think of the Caps, they don't seem to be getting better. Keumper has started 350+ NHL games at this point, he has been in the league for more than a decade. He has a couple of disaster years, but by in large has delivered his job, the Colorado year is actually his third best save percentage.

Now for the general topic, I am not sure what to make of Husso. He flashes a lot of talent, I agree with everyone saying he needs a pitch count. I am not sure we have enough at backup goalie. I think it kind of bums me out, now I think they are better than Ned. I wish him luck but it did not end well. So it should be upgraded, but I don't know that either Reimer or Lyon are big NHL upgrades though Reimer has the better track record. Reimer has done it, Lyon got hot at the right time with a team on an absolute tear. Alex Lyon is a 30 year old AHL goalie. I hope he isn't the backup and I know some have their own reasons for rooting against Reimer, but I think he is our better option. Reimer is a .910 save goalie, he isn't one at this point in his career perhaps and I think that is fair. He got absolutely caved behind a brutal Sharks team last year so he does need to bounce back. But in the last 10 seasons his low is 22 games and just 20 games twice. One of these is the lockdown shortened year. Reimer also has a high of 48 games, two years ago, but he can be counted on to carry a decent chunk of games in a rotation at least that is his history statistically. So Reimer does play games consistently and might actually match Husso well in terms of upgrading his effectiveness.

I do think we might miss the playoffs over the goaltending. It is a hard variable to predict, I think they are in better shape between the pipes than they have been in a while, but lets be honest we have been lacking massively in talent in our net for a while. The standards have to go up to go where we want to. I hope that part of the dressing room is ready, we need more. On a number 5 out of 10.

I hope Husso has a good 50 to 55 games and is managed to where there is less burnout. When he looked fresh and right his agility was really an asset. When he got run down it was a tough stretch but the team in front of him was bad to end the year. I think he could play well, but I need to see how he gets protected, starts and if we give him more breathers this year.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
5/10. I think Husso is going to top out as a 35-45 guy who can't handle many more games, and still put up a good performance. He isn't very consistent to me, as he has 2 or 3 games where you are like alright, finally we have a starter again, but then he is just meh in a bunch.

Last year we were better defensively and he had similar numbers to Ned the year before, and the team was a lot crappier for a lot longer section of the second half 2 years ago. If Husso hadn't had that 10-15 game stretch at the start of last season where he was pretty good, I think we are feeling a lot worse about him as a starter on a good team. He really wasn't better than Ned from the season before, just more of a stable style than Ned. Husso's play was already dropping before the apparent injury he suffered.

I think Reimer will play the rest and be the stable backup he has been most of his career. Lyon will be in GR/waived and or/claimed at the start of the season.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The level of goaltending will be suspect until(hopefully) a prospect takes the #1.

Or Detroit trades for one.

Husso is a good goalie. I'm not sure if he will ever be a true #1

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I felt more confident last season. I think we're giving up on Ned too early. Reimer and Lyon inspire no confidence at all, while Husso is a very good goalie.

Reactions: RRhoads

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The level of goaltending will be suspect until(hopefully) a prospect takes the #1.

Or Detroit trades for one.

It doesn't change anywhere with a prospect or with a trade.

Goalies will come and go. I would not sign anybody longer than 3-4 years and would build timelines for a replacement guy using dynamic duos all the time.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm reminded that I feel like advanced stats for goalies would be infinitely more useful than for forwards/defenseman, but are very rarely discussed.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I like Husso. He is the best goalie we have had since pre-injury Jimmy Howard. Reimer should be a decent or at least usable backup and he's only here for one year. Lyon & Cossa are still unknown.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I like Husso. He is the best goalie we have had since pre-injury Jimmy Howard. Reimer should be a decent or at least usable backup and he's only here for one year. Lyon & Cossa are still unknown.

Bernie was better in his second and third year with the team. He stole quite a few games, had a better save % with a crappier defense in front of him. Not that those games mattered much, in fact you could probably complain that he made the draft position worse, lol.

I'd be happier if the team had THAT Bernie instead of Husso (or maybe both). Looks like he's done after getting hip surgery, obviously nobody wants him now.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Bernie was better in his second and third year with the team. He stole quite a few games, had a better save % with a crappier defense in front of him. Not that those games mattered much, in fact you could probably complain that he made the draft position worse, lol.

I'd be happier if the team had THAT Bernie instead of Husso (or maybe both). Looks like he's done after getting hip surgery, obviously nobody wants him now.
I agree. Bernier would have done well with a better team in front of him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think its kind of a multi pronged problem, we not only have not had a netminder with a high level talent but also no one coming in with a starting track record of those full season of 55-60 game stretches. We also have had a compromised roster where goalies get shelled and face difficult high percentage shots. So goalies coming into Detroit has been the worst situation, not having been a starter and getting shelled.

Not a huge fan of having to resort to Reimer but he should stabilize this season allowing a A B situation where goalies can rest. This is also happening in parallel with defense getting better each season. This will probably be the season where we notice the difference.

This is all a temporary situation anyway just bridging the gap until we see who comes out of the pipeline.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Like most things on the team it has to come down to a team effort.

Husso 45gs
Reimer 25gs
Lyon 10gs

Something like that.

Tighten up team defense, win more faceoffs, improve possession metrics, score more goals, take pressure off the goalies. There's a path to success but it's going to be connected to what else happens with the team.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Pretty confident honestly. I felt like Husso might have played a little injured, hurt, worn, whatever... He was a good goalie most of the year though.

Reimer should, SHOULD be better than what Neds provided. Lyon should stabilize things better than what was offered last year with Hellberg if an inury happens.

I don't think we'll look at the team at the TDL and say Goalie was/is the problem. Just my thoughts.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Like to see Lyon more.

I liked him vs. Leafs. Looks big and those net-front goals were mostly battles lost thanks to defence.

Never trusted on Reimer, no matter what he did. That's the guy I'd want to see least.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No offense, but I hope Yzerman and co are not that patient. Both guys are probably 3 years away in the best case and then you have to factor in that goaltending is totally unpredictable.
Well... if we never bring up any D our blueline is 3 years away from being competitive as well.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
like a 3 maybe

Husso gets pretty overhyped, he's 28 and still doesn't really have much of an NHL track record but the other 2/3rds of his NHL career other than his one good year in St. Louis has been pretty bad and Reimer and Lyon are nothing of note

one thing I DO have confidence in is that the Wings have built up enough depth at the position that Cossa won't be forced into the NHL due to injuries before spending much time in the AHL and then spend a lot of time going up and down the way Mrazek did

I think that was pretty damaging to Mrazek's development so that's nice to see

I think this has held up pretty well so far

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Random thought: sign whoever the best goalie in the SHL is and try that out.

Looks who is leading the SHL in SV and sees Filip Larsson. Wait is that the same Filip Larsson we drafted? It is.

I mean what a cool full circle story that would be... Can we sign him mid season and bring him over?

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Random thought: sign whoever the best goalie in the SHL is and try that out.

Looks who is leading the SHL in SV and sees Filip Larsson. Wait is that the same Filip Larsson we drafted? It is.

I mean what a cool full circle story that would be... Can we sign him mid season and bring him over?
He still has a lot to prove. I don’t think he’s played more than 37 games in a season since his junior days. He wasn’t even in the SHL last season. He needs time to establish himself as a full-time starter in the SHL before I’d think of him as NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad