You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Vacuum_of_Ingorance.jpg

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm probably going to be in the minority in this, but imo most of what makes Chiarelli worse than Holland is that he was given less. I could say the same in comparing Holland to Jackson. The team has been taking steps forward and every time you take a step forward, the job gets easier.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Holland was a genius compared to Chia.
I think I am more forgiving of Hollands boneheaded moves than most because I believe results are what matter but...

Genius and Holland should never be associated in any way shape or form.

Not only one but IMO the 2 best players in the world in their prime and on one team and many of his moves are just plain omfg bad. His good moves are obviously good but even those are more recent and we're surprisingly great rather than expected great.

Our team under Holland went from one of the youngest to one of the oldest during his tenure. Not a bad thing, really expected to some extent, but... a bit excessive and now we really are looking at a small windows to potentially win a cup where I believe a good GM could have set up a much better team for a much bigger window.

I think Holland deserves recognition for 1 win/2 goals from a Stanley Cup but really... a good GM coming in with what he had "could" have done significantly better... in theroy.

Chiarelli, for all his warts, was obviously better at cap management and drafting plus had a few solid moves as well. The difference between the two IMO is closer than you indicate.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
From someone I know close to the org at the time- that was a Kevin Lowe special. He pushed for it.
Yeah, that Koskinen contract was a lot more than just Chiarelli. I remember Nicholson insisting after he fired Chiarelli that it was an organizational decision. Koskinen was already playing poorly by that time, looking like it was going to be a bad contract and it would have been easy to throw the already fired Chiarelli under the bus for that one but he didn’t.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah, that Koskinen contract was a lot more than just Chiarelli. I remember Nicholson insisting after he fired Chiarelli that it was an organizational decision. Koskinen was already playing poorly by that time, looking like it was going to be a bad contract and it would have been easy to throw the already fired Chiarelli under the bus for that one but he didn’t.
Yep. 100%

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think I am more forgiving of Hollands boneheaded moves than most because I believe results are what matter but...

Genius and Holland should never be associated in any way shape or form.

Not only one but IMO the 2 best players in the world in their prime and on one team and many of his moves are just plain omfg bad. His good moves are obviously good but even those are more recent and we're surprisingly great rather than expected great.

Our team under Holland went from one of the youngest to one of the oldest during his tenure. Not a bad thing, really expected to some extent, but... a bit excessive and now we really are looking at a small windows to potentially win a cup where I believe a good GM could have set up a much better team for a much bigger window.

I think Holland deserves recognition for 1 win/2 goals from a Stanley Cup but really... a good GM coming in with what he had "could" have done significantly better... in theroy.

Chiarelli, for all his warts, was obviously better at cap management and drafting plus had a few solid moves as well. The difference between the two IMO is closer than you indicate.
Chia was a disaster at cap management. It might well have been one of his worst skills.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm probably going to be in the minority in this, but imo most of what makes Chiarelli worse than Holland is that he was given less. I could say the same in comparing Holland to Jackson. The team has been taking steps forward and every time you take a step forward, the job gets easier.
Chiarelli had a lot of good pieces when he took over the job.

Turning Hall and Eberle and a 2015 1st (Almost every player in the first round turned into a player) into dust stalled the franchise out completely before Holland came in to right the ship.

Reactions: TB12

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Turning Hall and Eberle and a 2015 1st (Almost every player in the first round turned into a player) into dust stalled the franchise out completely before Holland came in to right the ship.
I agree Ken had way less to work with than Chia did. Chia had a stock pile of first rounders and prospects to work with. He traded basically 2 firsts for GR. He traded Hall Eberle and Schultz and got a 3rd rounder Strome which became Spooner and Larrson (still should have got a pick with that deal as well). He traded for the guy that almost derailed Connor’s career before it even started. He passed on Debrinket to add Benson and tried to burn down the team on his way out the door. Chia was the worst GM in modern NHL history. Set the team back 5 years with his attempt to “speed up” the rebuild.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Drink!

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What makes Chiarelli so much worse is that he was gifted a huge clutch of good young players and draft picks with which to build a base that all he really had to do was sit back and not Eff it up. Instead he botched it. The Oilers would’ve matured as a team and would have been so much stronger today without his malfeasance both in terms of assets and cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad