Comparing Ken Holland with Peter Chiarelli

lbj23

Jun 22, 2017
I think Ken Holland did an amazing job with the Oilers short of 2 goals of winning the cup given how bad the Chia tenure was. It seems to me one of Holland greatest strengths is that he does not tend to make panic trades and is generally more patient with the roster as opposed to Chia who would cave to public pressure and make short sighted trades like the Eberle, Hall, Strome for Spooner. What would you guys say are the biggest differences in their management philosophies other than what I listed that has really turned the Oilers into a Cup contender? Anything else you appreciate about Holland over Chia?

Reactions: BudBundy and Henkka

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
The answer is in the locker room vs. Death by a thousand cuts

Chia feels like a double agent to me. Especially the deal he made before getting canned

2015 1st and 2nd for Reinhart was still the dumbest trade in NHL history. 0% thought or work put into it. Couldn't even ask for Pulock
Chiapet definitely trolled McDavid by trading for Brandon Manning.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If Jackson didn't come in and do the KNob hiring, and get a mental health coach for the team, especially for Skinner, we probably think of Chia and Holland a lot more similarly.

Chia was worse though for sure for his last years. He had younger McDavid and Drai who barely played any defense, he inherited a pretty terrible tank job team that had the chance to pick McDavid in the draft for very good reason. But, by the end was straight up panicking. Bobby Nicks was next level clueless as well letting Chia just nuke things before finally firing him. That said, Chia did draft Bouch and Skinner, who really transformed the team this season, and some of last. He probably would have traded both for peanuts in the last 5 years :)

We need to do better than both of these guys now. I don't think there is an question about that.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Chia feels like a double agent to me. Especially the deal he made before getting canned

2015 1st and 2nd for Reinhart was still the dumbest trade in NHL history. 0% thought or work put into it. Couldn't even ask for Pulock

This was in fact the worst trade ever

Even at the time of the trade.. there was nothing but down arrows on Griffin Reinhart. It was absurd.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Even at the time of the trade.. there was nothing but down arrows on Griffin Reinhart. It was absurd.
Pretty sure our org had a huge boner for that Oil Kings hero for a long time. Could definitely have seen everyone left over when Chia joined the org pushing for us to get Griffin.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think Ken Holland did an amazing job with the Oilers short of 2 goals of winning the cup given how bad the Chia tenure was. It seems to me one of Holland greatest strengths is that he does not tend to make panic trades and is generally more patient with the roster as opposed to Chia who would cave to public pressure and make short sighted trades like the Eberle, Hall, Strome for Spooner. What would you guys say are the biggest differences in their management philosophies other than what I listed that has really turned the Oilers into a Cup contender? Anything else you appreciate about Holland over Chia?
Loved the way Holland somehow found a way to make Draisaitl and McDavid get older and more mature each year he was here.:D

• Haha
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Mistakes aside, Hyman and Ekholm are two fantastic moves Chia does not have an equal for.

Both have lots of bad moves, bad decisions, but one of the two actual had good decisions along the way.

And Chia turned Eberle into Spooner in two seasons, so f*** that guy.

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Pretty sure our org had a huge boner for that Oil Kings hero for a long time. Could definitely have seen everyone left over when Chia joined the org pushing for us to get Griffin.
Reinhart had already gone from being a prospect to a suspect when that deal was made. And he did all that with Barzel on the board and everyone knowing he was the next bpa.

Reactions: Canovin

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Mistakes aside, Hyman and Ekholm are two fantastic moves Chia does not have an equal for.

Both have lots of bad moves, bad decisions, but one of the two actual had good decisions along the way.

And Chia turned Eberle into Spooner in two seasons, so f*** that guy.
Devils advocate counter punch being the Leon and McDavid deals lol.

both did absolutely out play their contracts. But at the same time anyone could have seen that coming.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Chiarelli cost us a dynasty. Holland has us in contention for a cup. Holland is a better than average GM but at the end of the day, you SHOULD be able to build a contender around McDrai. Chiarelli, with all the wealth he was handed, is definitely a Mike Milbury type.

One thing is that the organization overall appears to be healthy today, a decent minor league system, player development, procurement, even analytics. Holland was part of that, maybe Jackson was not insignificant.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

Before he got fired I was actually beginning to suspect this. Just awful trade after awful trade, then giving Koskinen 4 years after like 35 games?

Chiarelli was either so bad you wonder if his brain is working, or he was actively trying to destroy this team.

Holland screwed up bad with Campbell and Nurse. Other than that he wasn’t bad. First 3 years he basically had to just patiently and slowly build because of the mess Chia left.

Chiarelli F-

Holland B+

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Chiarelli was awful with the roster building. Truly a horrendous GM. Far worse at building an NHL team than Holland.

He has too many bad moves to talk about.

The team was way better at drafting though under him.

Holland made two “game changer” additions in Ekholm and Hyman. Full credit on both of those. Otherwise I think he’s also largely been horrible. A bunch of wasted assets on bad deadline deals. From day one the way he handled Nurse was a master class in incompetence. Literally could not have been handled worse at any point along the line.

The Campbell deal is now going to cost the Oilers for the next 6 years.

Awful drafting that has left us basically without a single prospect that projects as an NHLer outside of Broberg/Holloway (who have both been long passed by others drafted after them).

With a truly competent GM hire at either point I think this team would have won multiple cups in McDrai era.

As it stands now the Oilers are poised to age out of contention within the next few years without enough organizational depth to back fill once guys like Hyman, Nuge and Ekholm start to slow.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005

I recall reading the NYI board at that time and they were in utter shock they got anything of value for Reinhart. Most assumed he wasn't cut out for the NHL with his lack of speed etc

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Lol totally. That trade, getting manning, signing Koskinen to a ridiculous contract on his way out the door. Borderline trolling.

Reactions: Canovin

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Reinhart had already gone from being a prospect to a suspect when that deal was made. And he did all that with Barzel on the board and everyone knowing he was the next bpa.

Don't think our old school org liked Barzal and would have even considered taking him. Too much attitude and personality. Big no-no, since we had so many people in our org that know about winning. We like big strong leaders like Reinhart! Captain of a Memorial Cup winner! Eriksson Ek was the guy topping our list at the time of that pick, per Bob.

Lol totally. That trade, getting manning, signing Koskinen to a ridiculous contract on his way out the door. Borderline trolling.

haha, I'm gonna start sounding like I'm defending Chia. But Bobby Nicks said that the org wanted to extend Kostko and gave the thumbs up because we didn't want to risk being empty handed in the UFA market.

Words can't describe how terrible Oilers management was from top to bottom since Katz took this team over.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Don't think our old school org liked Barzal and would have even considered taking him. Too much attitude and personality. Big no-no. We like big strong leaders like Reinhart!

haha, I'm gonna start sounding like I'm defending Chia. But Bobby Nicks said that the org wanted to extend Kostko and gave the thumbs up because we didn't want to risk being empty handed in the UFA market.

Words can't describe how terrible Oilers management was from top to bottom since Katz took this team over.
Sounds like damage control to me. “Of course we wanted Koskinen at 4 mill”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad