Comparing Auston Matthews first 31 games vs his contemporaries (Warning Post #208)

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
I got this from the user u/hockeyyy for the r/leafs sub on reddit.

This is a list based on all of his contemporaries dating back to 2007-08.

The following players have been added:

• Toews/Mueller (2007-08)
  • Stamkos (2008-09)
  • Tavares/Duchene (2009-10)
  • RNH/Couturier (2011-12)
  • Galchenyuk/Huberdeau (2012-13)
  • MacKinnon/Lindholm (2013-14)
  • McDavid/Eichel/Larkin/Bennett (2015-16)

It focuses on three things

• They must be 18-19
  • Must be playing their rookie season
  • Predominantly playing centre

Why is this important to know? By comparing Matthews against his contemporaries, we can see what kind of player he is going to be. Moreover, we will be able to determine what kind of finish he will likely have. Bear in mind though, I don't anticipate we are going to find a worthwhile comparison -- the way Matthews has adjusted to the league and at the rate he is shooting is something only seen once in a decade.

hATF20S.png

Notes:
  • Approximately 44% of RNH's points in his rookie season came on the power-play. This should be taken into context for what it is -- it was a bit of a fluky season for him. He's a great player, but not the one as indicated by his rookie season. A lot of what he did was unsustainable.
  • Similar to RNH, Tavares had a disproportionately large chunk of his points throughout his rookie season built off the power-play. Approximately 40% of his points came with the man-advantage. Sidenote: I find his career progression to be disappointing for what he was supposed to be.
  • Stamkos was poorly treated in his rookie season and it wasn't until Melrose was fired that he suddenly turned on the jets -- a supremely talented player suppressed by a supremely moronic coach. He should have had at least twice the points he had in his first 31 games. He was stuck in a very difficult situation.

So what does this all tell us?
  • Matthews is on a level only reached by McDavid.
  • Matthews' 13.1 scoring chances for per 60 at evens is more than just ridiculous, it's unprecedented. Of all rookies recorded since 2007 -- none have reached his current level of chances generated after 31 games. None.
  • Matthews' shots for per 60 is also exceptional. Playing on a line with Hyman and Brown / Nylander, we shouldn't have expected very much, but this is clearly not the case. McDavid had the luxury of playing with two veterans in Eberle and Pouliot. This shouldn't take anything away from him -- he's still the next one.
  • Why aren't the points on the same level of McDavid / Malkin? The point is that they will be. With the extreme rate of shots that Matthews generating on his line, in addition to the fact that scoring chances generated have produced a strong correlated with expected goals for, the points aren't just going to come, but come in very variable clusters -- as soon.
  • I feel that Matthews doesn't have a strong similarity with any of these players. He's a very new breed of player. Or is he? Based on Matthews' performance using his number of shots, shots per game, and points, his historical contemporaries are since 1918 pretty uh... elite. Perhaps we're underselling what Matthews is capable of doing.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
What that chart tells me is that in the era of clutch and grab, Malkin was a god dam beast!

Oh, and yay Matthews!

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I'm guessing the OP is a Leafs fan, considering everyone other than McDavid had excuses given as to why they produced :lol:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Outside his first game, he has what, 11 goals in 30 games? 20 points in 30? Seems on par with all of them, not any better.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Outside his first game, he has what, 11 goals in 30 games? 20 points in 30? Seems on par with all of them, not any better.

So he's about par with elite players if you arbitrarily lower his stats which is fine. But I think the main takeaway should be he's producing scoring chances at an unprecedented rate

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
I'm guessing the OP is a Leafs fan, considering everyone other than McDavid had excuses given as to why they produced :lol:

He mentioned RNH and Tavares.

RNH's 20% shooting percentage was clearly unsustainable. Was his production unsustainable? Well, he hasn't matched that PPG since.

Matthews' production, on the other hand, is very sustainable based on the insane number of scoring chances he generates.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
So he's about par with elite players if you arbitrarily lower his stats which is fine. But I think the main takeaway should be he's producing scoring chances at an unprecedented rate

And he's actually scoring on his "unprecedented rate" of chances at an almost exact rate as every single other 1st overall listed. Shocker.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And he's actually scoring on his "unprecedented rate" of chances at an almost exact rate as every single other 1st overall listed. Shocker.

It is a shocker since he should be and eventually will be scoring at a rate that actually reflects the amount of offense he creates

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also important to note that he's done this ALL as a center, not every player there was a full time center like Matthews is.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

I don't get that removing best games thing. Why?

Do we apply that for Wayne, Mario and Co. too? Does that make them look more "normal" or what? If we remove 4 points games, why not remove 3 points games too? And then we can remove multipoint games and then we aren't far from removing all games where they scored point...

What is the logic?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
He mentioned RNH and Tavares.

RNH's 20% shooting percentage was clearly unsustainable. Was his production unsustainable? Well, he hasn't matched that PPG since.

Matthews' production, on the other hand, is very sustainable based on the insane number of scoring chances he generates.

RNH has not been the same player after coming back from his shoulder injury that cut his rookie season short. 11-12 Nuge was an incredible player with great vision. Picture 62 games of how he played at the world cup.

Also the 11-12 Oilers were abysmal 5 on 5 because they had nothing aside from RNH, Hall and Eberle. That and their defence was beyond awful.

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016
No offence to this thread, but why 31 games? Couldn't you have waited the entire season to make comparisons?

We all know Matthews is great, but this thread seems too nit-picky.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
It is a shocker since he should be and eventually will be scoring at a rate that actually reflects the amount of offense he creates

His oniceSH% is really low, meaning that Hyman, Brown, Nylander haven't been finishing their chances. Even Matthews' shooting percentage is kind of low considering how many shots he takes from so close to the net.

Statistically, this guy could end up like a combination of Stamkos and Toews.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Actually, while his scoring chances produced is very impressing, he is producing them at about the same rate as Toews, Galchenyuk, and McDavid. So no its not "unprecedented" at all.

And his Scoring Chances For% is behind Larkin, McDavid, Galchenyuk, Toews, and Mueller.

Also, why are certain names left off? Like Crosby, for example. I mean, Malkin is on there...

And just to be clear I don't mean to take anything away from Matthews with this post. I think he is only a cut below the Crosby/McDavid/Malkin types when we're talking about centre prospects over the last while (ahead of Tavares/Stamkos, at least at the same age). He is so impressive, at age 18 he is already better (IMO) than guys like Mackinnon, Eichel, Barkov, Duchene, Galchenyuk, RNH, Draisaitl, Larkin, etc.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010

Just curious, do we remove this game if it's a 3 point game or does this only apply to 4 point games? I don't know the rules to this new trend

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No offence to this thread, but why 31 games? Couldn't you have waited the entire season to make comparisons?

We all know Matthews is great, but this thread seems too nit-picky.

Well I mean it's how many games he has played so far this season so seems like a decent reason to pick 31 games. Seems kind of silly to suggest you can't analyze players during the season. Could always just do it again at the end of the season.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Just curious, do we remove this game if it's a 3 point game or does this only apply to 4 point games? I don't know the rules to this new trend

If you remove McDavid's 5 point game against the Leafs last year, he wasn't even a PPG player last year. What a bum.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
But I think the main takeaway should be he's producing scoring chances at an unprecedented rate

Matthews is an awesome player, but he it is difficult to argue he is a "once in decade player" given McDavid is one year older. Additionally, your main takeaway is irrelevant, because scoring chances don't count, points do. McDavid had fractionally less scoring chances, over 60 minutes, than Matthews.

Again, Matthews is a very good player, at 18, oozes potential, and could develop into a top 5 forward in the NHL. But your case is overstated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad