GDT: Columbus @ Nashville | 8 PM EST

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Didn't see the game but watched the goal highlights. Looking forward to my first live game tomorrow. McDavid alone is worth my much longer drive than it used to be.

On the OT goal, Marchessault did a pretty mean turn. Even if Severson would have not lost an edge, it looks to me like Marchessault could have taken the path to the goal that he did.

In any case, Severson only has 6.9 years left on his deal so he's a short term issue:D

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The Severson critique wasn't just for losing his edge on the GWG. It was for his play all night. Worst game I've seen him play this year. Overall though, he's been a good defender for us this season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Severson had a bad game. I think we’d all have preferred Dean just rotate Zach and Ivan. But most coaches are gonna keep putting a veteran guy out there in situations they are typically in for.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I think we're overreacting to a bad game by a player. He is a player who makes very visible mistakes and sometimes very costly mistakes, but if he was that bad overall you'd see it in the numbers. We'd be getting killed with him out there, and overall that's not the case. We're outscoring opponents 10-7 so far with Severson on the ice. His defensive record in his last three years in New Jersey was good. Last year in Columbus it was not, but I expect him to fit well under Evason.
He's not a "bad" player but for what he's making and for how long he's been in the league, his decision making is extremely concerning. We're not talking about one game here. Severson throws it up the middle behind his net almost every game, its truly wild to see from a pro with his experience.

He's quite good offensively and does a lot, but in his own zone, he's very much a trainwreck that needs to quickly improve. He does not take care of the puck well.

Let's see how it plays out over the season, I'm happy to be wrong but I'm not sure this will change. This is an IQ thing, not an physical ability limitation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not a "bad" player but for what he's making and for how long he's been in the league, his decision making is extremely concerning. We're not talking about one game here. Severson throws it up the middle behind his net almost every game, its truly wild to see from a pro with his experience.

He's quite good offensively and does a lot, but in his own zone, he's very much a trainwreck that needs to quickly improve. He does not take care of the puck well.

Let's see how it plays out over the season, I'm happy to be wrong but I'm not sure this will change. This is an IQ thing, not an physical ability limitation.

It's not new and it's not going away. It was always a part of the give and take with Severson. I'm sure nobody missed it when they were evaluating whether to acquire him. We were told to expect a good skating possession player who makes very visible mistakes. The breakout passing is a more interesting debate. Some consider it a strength of his, some a weakness. He can make a great long pass, he can also have games where it looks like he doesn't know how. I remember some Devils fans talking about how they'll miss his breakout pass (genuinely).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad