Columbus fans booing Panarin

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
This is a little revisionist as well.

I won't put up a huge fight on the "barely slipped in" part, except to note that the east is a meat grinder. If they played in the West, they'd have been only three points back of second place in the Pacific, and within two points of all three qualifiers from the Central. But they swept the best team in the league, and gave the eventual Stanley Cup finalist from the east all they could handle. They were a lot more of a contender than everyone was giving them credit for.

Also, they weren't "losing a lot of other top end players". Bobrovsky. End of list. That's all. Duchene is good, but he's not top end. And if Panarin decides to stay, who the hell knows what Bob does. Even if all eligible RFAs other than Bread had decided to leave, Panarin still wouldn't have been leaving a cellar-dweller.

Again... if he doesn't want to stay, he doesn't have to. Columbus wasn't the early 90's Pittsburgh Penguins, obviously. Goodbye. But we're not going to give him bouquets of roses upon return. Frankly, I think you're the one who looks silly trying the argument that we're somehow out of our minds.
I look silly because I think you guys are wrong for booing someone who gave you nothing but his best because he put his own life decisions in front of hockey decisions?... Did I read that right? The first sentence of your last paragraph was really all you needed.

I don’t really care what you guys do. I like Artemi as an individual and as a hockey player and just think you guys gave him a raw deal because of things 100% out of his control. You guys do you though.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I look silly because I think you guys are wrong for booing someone who gave you nothing but his best because he put his own life decisions in front of hockey decisions?... Did I read that right? The first sentence of your last paragraph was really all you needed.
You look silly because you expect fans to not have bad feelings towards someone who actively left them. Whether it was the right decision for him or not is for HIM to worry about. Your wife may decide to divorce you because she thinks it's best for her too, but that doesn't mean you're going to cheer her on when you see her with her new beau.

I don’t really care what you guys do.
Your participation in this thread suggests otherwise.

I like Artemi as an individual and as a hockey player and just think you guys gave him a raw deal because of things 100% out of his control. You guys do you though.
OK, this I don't understand at all. A "raw deal?" Because we booed him? And how exactly was any of what happened in the offseason "100% out of his control?" That's the least accurate statement I've ever read. It was 100% IN HIS CONTROL. Columbus offered the money. He could have taken it. He walked.

Reactions: Viqsi

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Except he didn't. The Jackets literally offered him McDavid money (proof) and given the way taxes are in New York compared to Columbus, the Jackets offered him way more money. He just wanted to play in New York. Which was his right.

The Jackets literally did everything possible to keep him here, short of tying him up and forcing him. He took a pay cut to play there, a team lower than them in the standings and older, which increased the burn fans felt.
Worse team? Definitely. But they're like a week older than Columbus. :laugh:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You look silly because you expect fans to not have bad feelings towards someone who actively left them. Whether it was the right decision for him or not is for HIM to worry about. Your wife may decide to divorce you because she thinks it's best for her too, but that doesn't mean you're going to cheer her on when you see her with her new beau.

Your participation in this thread suggests otherwise.

OK, this I don't understand at all. A "raw deal?" Because we booed him? And how exactly was any of what happened in the offseason "100% out of his control?" That's the least accurate statement I've ever read. It was 100% IN HIS CONTROL. Columbus offered the money. He could have taken it. He walked.
I never said fans shouldn’t have bad feelings about players who chose greener pastures. I’m talking about how you choose to act on those bad feelings. Funny you bring up the wife thing. If my wife decides to divorce me for irreconcilable differences and I pester her and talk shit about her to everyone... I’m going to look like a douchebag. Not her. I wouldn’t cheer her on but I certainty wouldn’t be stupid enough to bring her down in public. That’s kind of the point I’m trying to make you you here actually....it just makes YOU look like the asshole. Lose with grace and understand sometimes things are out of your control.

Your last paragraph isn’t even worth addressing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Worse team? Definitely. But they're like a week older than Columbus. :laugh:

Still, the team was (technically) younger, and better (at least last year). Most of us felt like if we were able to keep those guys (being Bob, Panarin, Duchene) we were in position to be a legit cup contender. Yet all three leave, saying they went to places they best thought they could win cups.

Which I mean yeah, they have to say that, because everyone does. But as Torts said last summer, it was all right here for them if they wanted cups.

To this day I say the same thing. Panarin enjoyed Columbus, he liked the fans, and the private life. However, he just wanted to play in New York, which he has said for a long time is his favorite city in the world and favorite arena to play in. That was his right, and he was open about it (however he did tease the CBJ and fans about re-signing multiple times during his first season here, and the summer before he left, and even a bit after he said he wouldn't negotiate during the season). But that doesn't mean CBJ fans booing him is some out of bounds thing.

*Not saying you're saying it is. But this thread in general some people are saying that, and I think it's kind of ridiculous.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Just like you glossed over the rest of that post? huh ;)
No, I'll give you credit for the response of why we shouldn't boo. It's a valid point. It's all opinion, and I don't agree, but it's valid. I just don't understand what you're talking about when you say "100% out of his control." The only way that would have been the case would have been if Columbus didn't offer him a new contract, and that plainly didn't happen. So no -- that's a completely inaccurate position on your part.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'll also say, in the interest of cooling the temperature a little, that I personally don't boo him. I'm there to pay attention to the WHOLE game, and I don't have interest in spending mental energy tracking one opposing player the whole night. Especially when it's not even his first time coming back. If he scores, I'll boo loudly and angrily. Other than that, whatever.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Why would Panarin care about Columbus or their fans?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
No, I'll give you credit for the response of why we shouldn't boo. It's a valid point. It's all opinion, and I don't agree, but it's valid. I just don't understand what you're talking about when you say "100% out of his control." The only way that would have been the case would have been if Columbus didn't offer him a new contract, and that plainly didn't happen. So no -- that's a completely inaccurate position on your part.
He did not get drafted by Columbus. He did not chose to sign with Columbus. He was forced to go to Columbus and gave 100% and lived up to every cent of that contract while he was there. YOUR gm knew there was very little chance of a re-signing him but went for it anyway. Why is it his fault your GM took a chance and it diddnt work out? Panarin did everything that was asked of him when he was thrown into a situation he diddnt ask for. Deserves praise not boos imo.

It was out of his control that he ended up in Columbus and he owed them nothing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Still, the team was (technically) younger, and better (at least last year). Most of us felt like if we were able to keep those guys (being Bob, Panarin, Duchene) we were in position to be a legit cup contender. Yet all three leave, saying they went to places they best thought they could win cups.

Which I mean yeah, they have to say that, because everyone does. But as Torts said last summer, it was all right here for them if they wanted cups.

To this day I say the same thing. Panarin enjoyed Columbus, he liked the fans, and the private life. However, he just wanted to play in New York, which he has said for a long time is his favorite city in the world and favorite arena to play in. That was his right, and he was open about it (however he did tease the CBJ and fans about re-signing multiple times during his first season here, and the summer before he left, and even a bit after he said he wouldn't negotiate during the season). But that doesn't mean CBJ fans booing him is some out of bounds thing.

*Not saying you're saying it is. But this thread in general some people are saying that, and I think it's kind of ridiculous.
I'm only joking around. I just thought it was funny because it makes it sound like everyone on the Rangers is 35. :laugh:

People just overestimate how much brain power sports fans are willing to use at games. Not using your brain is practically the whole point of going. It's like how Bettman always gets booed. None of those fans know what they're even booing him for. Maybe it's just because he does look kind of villainous lol.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Fans are stupid. If a 4th liner goes someone else then no one cares but apparently talented players don't own that right. Panarin didn't owe anything to the Blue Jackets.

Why isnt this a two way street? He didnt owe them anything and left. They dont owe him anything and boo, if you dont show loyalty, why do you deserve respect? Both parties are well within their rights, why is only one party stupid - in your opinion?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I'm only joking around. I just thought it was funny because it makes it sound like everyone on the Rangers is 35. :laugh:

People just overestimate how much brain power sports fans are willing to use at games. Not using your brain is practically the whole point of going. It's like how Bettman always gets booed. None of those fans know what they're even booing him for. Maybe it's just because he does look kind of villainous lol.
Booing Bettman at the draft last year was one of my highlights of being a hockey fan, even though I think he’s a good commissioner and has done wonders for the game. :laugh:

Reactions: aufheben

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Why isnt this a two way street? He didnt owe them anything and left. They dont owe him anything and boo, if you dont show loyalty, why do you deserve respect? Both parties are well within their rights, why is only one party stupid - in your opinion?
When did Panarin not show loyalty to the blue jackets while he was under contract with them? Why is Panarin obligated to show loyalty past his contractual obligation to a team he did not chose?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
When did Panarin not show loyalty to the blue jackets while he was under contract with them?

Never. When did he show loyalty by resigning with them? Also never. The flip side to your logic is, when did he give them a reason to welcome him back in his time under contract?

The playoff run gave people a glimpse of success, the fact that their joy was short lived and appears to be a one time event, since he walked, causes resentment. Resentment lasts longer than the joy you get from one playoff series.

And before you bring it up again, I dont blame Jarmo and fans shouldnt boo jarmo.

Edit - also, he didnt leave to go play in Cali or Ottawa. He went to a divisional team, that sucks, so he didn't even leave to go win cups.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Did he deserve booing? Arguably not. He left when he earned the right to FA. But, it was whatever, to be honest. I don't think he'll be the first or last choosing to be a multi-millionaire in NYC over Columbus. But, fans aren't expected to be rational.

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA
Yeah. That's gotta be tough on Panarin to recieve the boos. I think one of the reasons why is he was only there for 2 seasons. And well yes they did make the playoffs in both those seasons, ended up getting eliminated in the first round.
Maybe I'm wrong i dunno :help:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Yeah. That's gotta be tough on Panarin to recieve the boos. I think one of the reasons why is he was only there for 2 seasons. And well yes they did make the playoffs in both those seasons, ended up getting eliminated in the first round.
Correct.

Sergei Bobrovsky played here for seven years. He's probably the best player in franchise history. He won two Vezinas, played his ass off, and seemingly single-handedly raised us to the level of being a competent team. And he also showed loyalty by signing a contract extension along the way. He had an opportunity to pursue other options and stayed.

So when HE finally got to the end of the line, and wanted to pursue other options, that was a hell of a lot more reasonable. Seven years is a long time, and you don't get to pursue free agency as arguably the best player at your position very often.

Artemi Panarin didn't do that. He played two years. He performed up to expectations, but never showed any interest in staying. And again -- there isn't a single person denying that that was his right to do. But if he's not obligated to show loyalty beyond his contract, then neither are we. Especially when you go to a division rival.

Or, to put it more directly:

When did Panarin not show loyalty to the blue jackets while he was under contract with them? Why is Panarin obligated to show loyalty past his contractual obligation to a team he did not chose?
When did Columbus not show loyalty to Panarin while he was under contract with them? Why is Columbus obligated to show loyalty past our contractual obligation to a player who did not choose Columbus?

acor

Jan 13, 2012

I think you're right...

Its silly to expect to expect provincial fans of some irrelevant, mickey mouse organisation to show class...

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Never. When did he show loyalty by resigning with them? Also never. The flip side to your logic is, when did he give them a reason to welcome him back in his time under contract?
What loyalty did he owe you? Did you draft and develop the player? Took care of his aging grandparents while he left for the new country? You did nothing. You traded for an asset. He owed loyalty to Chicago. Which he showed by signing a very team-friendly deal. He owed loyalty to Patrick Kane, who obviously helped him a lot. He showed that in spades as well.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Do you think he actually cares? If anything, players love to get booed by the opposing fans.

Reactions: KCbus

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Panarin was booed every time he touched the puck last night. People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want. And their feelings were hurt. The fact that Panarin is having an amazing season doesn't help.

But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

They were confused and thought he was playing for Michigan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad