GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets @ Toronto Maple Leafs 7:00pm EST Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't see a GDT up so I'll throw one in..

:cbj 30 - 25 - 5 vs :leafs 32 - 22 - 8

TV: FS-O, SNET-O

Last 10: Columbus 4-5-1; Toronto 5-2-3

Season series: This is the third and final game between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Toronto Maple Leafs. Columbus won both previous matchups, outscoring the Maple Leafs 11-2.

Big story: The Maple Leafs, 21-10-1 at home, have won their past seven games at Air Canada Centre. The Blue Jackets have lost four of five games on the road and look to move up in the Eastern Conference wild-card standings with a win.

Team Scope:

Blue Jackets: The Blue Jackets are in a stretch where they play 17 games in 31 days and are looking for some consistency. Their two games after the Olympic break have been vastly different. A 5-2 loss to the New Jersey Devils on Thursday, when they allowed a short-handed goal and were scoreless on the power play, was followed by a 6-3 win against the Florida Panthers on Saturday in which they killed off all four penalties and converted on three of four power-play chances.

"I think where our special teams let us down in New Jersey, it was a catalyst [Saturday]," center Mark Letestu said. "Anytime you score three power play goals, you give yourself a chance to win … great night for the special teams."

The six goals were more than the Blue Jackets had scored in their previous three games (five). Despite the big game, forward Brandon Dubinsky said Columbus still has work to do.

"There's still room for improvement. This group can't be satisfied," Dubinsky said. "We’ve got to continue pushing, continue trying to get better."

Maple Leafs: Toronto's 4-3 loss Saturday to the Montreal Canadiens was its second straight overtime defeat after holding a third-period lead.

"We’re .500 on the road which, in this situation, isn’t great," coach Randy Carlyle said after the game. "We'd like to have won both hockey games in our minds, but this is the way it goes. We will regroup, practice [Sunday] and get ready for Columbus."

The Maple Leafs are still within striking distance of the Atlantic Division-leading Bruins, but lost their eighth game after regulation Saturday.

"It’s disappointing to leave the point, but we did lots of good things," Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf said.

Who's hot: Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson has four assists in three games. … Maple Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk has two goals and five assists in five games.

Injury report: Blue Jackets forward Jared Boll (ankle) and defenseman Fedor Tyutin (ankle) are on injured reserve. Forward Blake Comeau (knee) did not play Saturday. … Maple Leafs forward Dave Bolland (ankle) is on IR. Colton Orr (undisclosed) did not play Saturday.

I personally want Reimer to start tonight since Bernier seems a little mentally fatigued or something..

Go Leafs Go!

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I would also like Riemer to start, its been a while. bernier needs to rest for the tough month weve got coming up

Autism

Sep 29, 2013
Ontario
Leafs suck against Columbus this year so I hope they figure a way to beat them tonight.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel like it's Reimer's turn. Bernier definitely wasn't the reason we lost to the Habs, but he did have that stinker against the Islanders, and the 4th goal that squeaked through. 2 losses in a row(even though we got a point in both) probably points to giving the other his first chance in a month, though his last start against Columbus didn't go so well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Could this be the last team we see Nikolai Kulemin in a Leaf jersey? Mason Raymond? Jake Gardiner? Cody Franson? Nazem Kadri? James Reimer?

Would like to see Bernier keep starting. This is a pretty important game

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Hopefully Reimer gets the start, Bernier's performance in the last 2 games just hasn't cut it

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Roll 7D please. One bad game against the Islanders shouldn't have been a reason to stop using that strategy. Not to mention Ranger scored that game and then got scratched.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Roll 7D please. One bad game against the Islanders shouldn't have been a reason to stop using that strategy. Not to mention Ranger scored that game and then got scratched.

Gardiner has joined Franson and is playing beyond terrible.

We need Ranger on the ice. 7D is the best way to go...I don't know why the Leafs always screw up the things that work..

Kadri with Lupul and Kulemin worked...they force Clarkson in there.

Raymond with Lupul and holland worked, they changed that and got McClement with Raymond...

It doesn't make sense.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Gardiner has joined Franson and is playing beyond terrible.

We need Ranger on the ice. 7D is the best way to go...I don't know why the Leafs always screw up the things that work..

Kadri with Lupul and Kulemin worked...they force Clarkson in there.

Raymond with Lupul and holland worked, they changed that and got McClement with Raymond...

It doesn't make sense.

I bet they're putting Clarkson on the 2nd line to justify his ridiculous contract, or to try to force some chemistry with Lupes and Kadri. Kulie is a much better fit.

I'd love it if we rolled 7 D though, our team has too many liabilities on the blueline so limiting their ice time has a big effect on the whole team and makes Dion and Gunnar play better

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
go leafs go

1982024_10151909455391791_158416217_n.jpg

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Cor;80886693[B said:
]Could this be the last team we see Nikolai Kulemin in a Leaf jersey?[/B] Mason Raymond? Jake Gardiner? Cody Franson? Nazem Kadri? James Reimer?

Would like to see Bernier keep starting. This is a pretty important game

Why do people think this even as a remote chance of happening. Management loves Kulemin, he's a very important player... and were going to need him in the playoffs... Oh but we could get a 2ND ROUND PICK??? Yeah give me a break. (not directing this at you just everyone who keeps offering away kulemin, plus the stupid media) I would bet a substantial amount of money on Kulemin staying with Toronto beyond the deadline.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You know what's annoying? The goaltending controversy is created solely by Randy. Instead of naming his guy for tonight, he creates this aura of secrecy. Of course there will be goaltending controversy. Why not just name his goalie in the morning? Why create this mystery?

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
go leafs go

1982024_10151909455391791_158416217_n.jpg

OMG that picture is funny!

I really hope the Leafs win tonight. It's probably getting close to a month since their last win due to the Olympic break. Hopefully the Leafs get some payback against Colombus :handclap:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You know what's annoying? The goaltending controversy is created solely by Randy. Instead of naming his guy for tonight, he creates this aura of secrecy. Of course there will be goaltending controversy. Why not just name his goalie in the morning? Why create this mystery?

There was no practice

No practice=No media availability

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't know. Maybe there is no controversy per se, but why create the mystery around who starts? Is it better for the team if the media and fans do not know? Honest question.

Its better if the opposition doesn't know and have to prepare for both goalies instead of just one.

Leafs Life Hockey*

I don't think you'll find a single quote of Carlyle naming his goalie. No idea why he does that. Perhaps superstitious but he sure puts himself ahead of the team.

Most NHL coaches name the goalie. Most fans want to know in advance. If Kessel can be forced to face media, why not same for Carlyle in this regard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad