Colton Sissons with the most consequential empty net miss ever?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
They were already switched, with Forsberg covering the slot and O'Reilly up high near the point. When the puck came around the boards, O'Reilly had to go after it. Nashville wasn't in any kind of problem until Forsberg bizarrely wandered off and stood along the boards near the blue line, totally abandoning the slot, when his team didn't have control of the puck.

Forsberg was probably hoping ROR wins the puck battle and he can go off to try and score the GWG.

I love that it was him, since he kicked in the 3-1 goal.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Forsberg was probably hoping ROR wins the puck battle and he can go off to try and score the GWG.

I love that it was him, since he kicked in the 3-1 goal.
It was clear that Cole was going to get to the puck first, and then after the puck was played into the corner Forsberg just casually drifted toward the boards instead of hustling back to the slot.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The best thing from that video is Hughes sending Nyquist on vacation.

Craziest thing is that if you watch the reply, Nyquist almost stopped the puck from going in

This had no consequences for Dallas whatsoever though

It actually had more consequences for Edmonton because it gave them an extra point, and took them out of the Kane lottery.

I didn’t actually think it was that terrible a miss tbh. He’s wide on his backhand with a player right on him. The consequences were brutal but there were multiple pre wee type blunders in defensive coverage that were even worse imo.

If he's a left handed shot it's a goal 10/10 tines. The backhand is what threw a wrench into things.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well I’m definitely glad they didn’t get Kane. The Oilers have been gifted enough superstars over the years.
They get Kane and we're probably not saying that.

I didn’t actually think it was that terrible a miss tbh. He’s wide on his backhand with a player right on him. The consequences were brutal but there were multiple pre wee type blunders in defensive coverage that were even worse imo.
What's odd is if it whistles just wide we're probably not dissecting it

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The Kane Stefan thing is dumb and a stretch to me. That was the middle of the season

If it was end of the season and Oilers were tanking, it'd be meaningful.

Reactions: Summer Rose

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
He was being pressured by two defenders and barely missed by less than an inch. I don't get why people are pinning this loss on him when he was the least of Nashville's problems.
Hughes doesn't pressure Sissons. He doesn't attempt to block the shot. Sissons is free to shoot the puck on his backhand from the faceoff dot. This is a completely reasonable thing to ask any pro hockey player to be able to accomplish.

It wasn't just Sissons fault. The team panicked once the Canucks pulled their goalie. It was almost as if they were playing expecting the worse to happen once it went 6 on 5. Their whole demeanor changed. So no, it wasn't only Sissons's fault the Preds lost, but, they would have won despite the late game nerves if he could have slid an unimpeded backhand shot into an empty net. That's just reality.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Sissons is one of my favorite players on the team and he’s scored big playoff goals for this franchise. I feel bad for him as the fans have already turned on him.

They shouldn’t, he is who he is as a player. Lack of effort should bring ire, but a lack of skill with all the pressure on? Sympathy. Maybe I’m reading into it too much, but I feel like you can see him consider going forehand, considering where Hughes is, and that hesitation is what made the miss.

Gordon Bombay’s was pretty big too

That’s who I was thinking of, not Charlie! Charlie was the knucklepucker with the hard slap shot from the rival team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I didn’t actually think it was that terrible a miss tbh. He’s wide on his backhand with a player right on him. The consequences were brutal but there were multiple pee wee type blunders in defensive coverage that were even worse imo.
Yeah, watching the last seconds, the Preds gave the Canucks enormous time and space up high to move the puck around without pressure, and somehow also coupled that with having no one down low near Boeser as he took two cracks at the open cage.

That's where the collapse happened. You don't need an empty netter to win.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He juked him out of his skates. I know it's Hughes but you really can't just lose your man there that hard.

- just stay in the lane and block any shots
- go for the body
- go for the feet with your stick take a penalty

Any of those could work, but nope, he decided to go for the puck and glory and lose his balance.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't see anyway that the Canucks come back from 4-2. If that goes in its ballgame. What a momentum shift, I would not have like the Canucks chances in this series if they came back home 2-2. Now they have a chance to close out at home and avoid another trip to Nashville.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Isn't he the guy who got his goal called back in game 6 too? lol

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Patrik Stefan and some other bums
sad.gif

Patrik Stefan: My team still won, though

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland