Colton Sissons with the most consequential empty net miss ever?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Thoughts? 1) I just feel bad for the dude, no matter how you approach it mentally- that’s gonna eat at you for awhile. 2) I’m wondering if this is maybe the biggest flap of the butterfly wings, when it comes to EN misses. Nashville coulda done something there, Saros coulda gotten hot in the 2nd round and who knows, but instead that miss potentially changes the course of the whole playoffs. I’m just not sure I can think of such a specific turning point, and I’m getting strong Mighty Ducks Charlie vibes.

Anyways, figured it deserved its own thread just in case anyone didn’t catch exactly how that all played out. Brutal for Preds fans.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, yes if had hit that shot it means the Preds likely win. But there was a lot of additional play between that miss and the eventual game winner in OT where the Preds could have stepped up.

I mean it's no different that any other player hitting a post at any point. It's part of the game.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I mean, yes if had hit that shot it means the Preds likely win. But there was a lot of additional play between that miss and the eventual game winner in OT where the Preds could have stepped up.

I mean it's no different that any other player hitting a post at any point. It's part of the game.

Right, that’s the logical way to view it, but emotion tends to hit hard. Sissons can know there were 10+ close calls- hell, Boeser’s second goal clips Saros’ heel, that’s an inch away from an incredible save, but something about the post is just.. more visual, you can see the puck an inch to the right and you’ve sealed the game, and instead..

Anyways, Stefan’s was obviously worse, which is why I feel bad for Sissons. You can almost see him double clutch, he wasn’t showboating or nothin, just didn’t wanna goof and.. oof.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Multiple mistakes on the last 2 goals by the preds. Nyquist getting juked by Hughes at the line and ending up on the ice opening lanes to the other 2 Canucks at the top of the blueline. Plus, a massive miscommunication between ROR and Forsberg on the OT winner. ROR had moved over to the boards to challenge Cole for the Puck. Forsberg didn't switch off and cover one of the forwards, instead staying up high in the typical winger position. Left ROR no chance to recover to get to Lindholm in front of the net. Either Forsberg missed the switch or ROR was too aggressive and left his primary assignment, and should have left it to Forsberg to cover Cole while he stayed with Lindholm.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Right, that’s the logical way to view it, but emotion tends to hit hard. Sissons can know there were 10+ close calls- hell, Boeser’s second goal clips Saros’ heel, that’s an inch away from an incredible save, but something about the post is just.. more visual, you can see the puck an inch to the right and you’ve sealed the game, and instead..

Anyways, Stefan’s was obviously worse, which is why I feel bad for Sissons. You can almost see him double clutch, he wasn’t showboating or nothin, just didn’t wanna goof and.. oof.

?

Dallas won their game.

Nashville didn't. :dunno:

Plus the added pressure of Stefan's accidental whiff merely extending a regular season game, whereas Sissons is partly to blame for his team going from a sure-fire tied series to being down 3-1.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This had no consequences for Dallas whatsoever though
t had consequences for Edmonton and Chicago. If Stefan scores Edmonton doesn't get the extra point for the OT loss which bumps Edmonton behind Chicago in the standings. Chicago doesn't win the draft lottery which means no Kane and maybe no Cups. Edmonton drafts Kane which probably makes them competitive enough to not draft all their 1st overalls as well as Nurse and Draisaitl.

So technically it could be the most consequential empty net miss.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Summarized.. that extra point stopped Edmonton from getting the first overall that summer.. which was Patrick Kane

Well I’m definitely glad they didn’t get Kane. The Oilers have been gifted enough superstars over the years.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Multiple mistakes on the last 2 goals by the preds. Nyquist getting juked by Hughes at the line and ending up on the ice opening lanes to the other 2 Canucks at the top of the blueline. Plus, a massive miscommunication between ROR and Forsberg on the OT winner. ROR had moved over to the boards to challenge Cole for the Puck. Forsberg didn't switch off and cover one of the forwards, instead staying up high in the typical winger position. Left ROR no chance to recover to get to Lindholm in front of the net. Either Forsberg missed the switch or ROR was too aggressive and left his primary assignment, and should have left it to Forsberg to cover Cole while he stayed with Lindholm.
The OT goal was all on Forsberg. Inexplicable, what he did there.

Reactions: yeaher

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The OT goal was all on Forsberg. Inexplicable, what he did there.
Wingers are typically responsible for the Dmen.
But, if he sees his C take the Dman on the boards, then he's got to recognize that and switch off to cover a Canuck forward.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Wingers are typically responsible for the Dmen.
But, if he sees his C take the Dman on the boards, then he's got to recognize that and switch off to cover a Canuck forward.
They were already switched, with Forsberg covering the slot and O'Reilly up high near the point. When the puck came around the boards, O'Reilly had to go after it. Nashville wasn't in any kind of problem until Forsberg bizarrely wandered off and stood along the boards near the blue line, totally abandoning the slot, when his team didn't have control of the puck.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
People often act as if empty net goals are totally meaningless. This miss is a great example of why that's not the case.

When a player scores an empty netter, his team is almost guaranteed a win. When an empty net is missed, that can come back to haunt a team. It can cost a team a win or even a series.

In 2022 WSH had FLA down two games to one and in game four one of their players (I think Hathaway) missed an open net. The Panthers tied and then won the game and won the series in six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad