Colton Orr vs Frazer McLaren

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
So I understand many people hate both being in the lineup, and would much rather never see either of them play again, but if you had to choose one, which enforcer would you rather have?

Note: This is IF, so there is no "neither" option if you decide to vote or comment

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Wow this is like being asked which method method of torture you prefer :laugh:.

This is rather tough...I guess McLaren since he's an enforcer that actually still fights. May not be that necessary to have a guy in the lineup solely for that reason but at least he's willing to actually do that job when he's used.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
if we have to have one, Orr and only Orr.

but the days of the pure enforcer are over, we need a guy like a thornton who actually has a little bit of talent.

hoping for instance for a devane or someone else with a little bit of talent, size, heart etc. that can give us 10-20 points a season, not 2 points a season by accident.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
McLaren is younger, can skate better, and was the last of the 2 to actually produce. I see him more of a press box guy, for most games.

Orr is done, if he doesn't fight, he provides nothing else.

GenericFan2*

Orr is done, sadly. Loved him during his tenure with the Leafs and was so close to getting his jersey at one point. Will always be the sheriff.

I'd go with McLaren. Has gone with the likes of Scott, McGrattan, Kassian, Neil, Rosehill, etc, etc. One of the more feared heavies and he's an improvement on Orr in regards to hockey ability and willingness to fight.

Still a believer that we should dress at least one of these guys a night. Hopefully one day that will be Devane.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
McLaren is younger, can skate better, and was the last of the 2 to actually produce. I see him more of a press box guy, for most games.

Orr is done, if he doesn't fight, he provides nothing else.

McLaren is not a better skater. He's a terrible skater. If there's one thing Orr can do, is actually skate.

McLaren barely hits, fights and is just as useless as Orr. Both are done and shouldn't be anymore then roster depth and waiver fodder.

I want neither. Oh god just the thought of seeing either trying to do a cycle or make a basic play was beyond bad.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
If I had to pick one I would still choose Orr. McLaren never impresses me in his fights, he may at this stage be the better player but I would prefer to just have a gritty tough team. Orr of a few years ago yes, off of this year nope I think he's done pretty much, and as I said McLaren can hardly beat middle weights.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So I understand many people hate both being in the lineup, and would much rather never see either of them play again, but if you had to choose one, which enforcer would you rather have?

Note: This is IF, so there is no "neither" option if you decide to vote or comment

I'd play Devane, or Broll over either, so, picking neither anyways!

btw, Orr is the worse of the 2, in all aspects.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Orr, much better skater.

Neither is the preference though.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Orr seems to have LOST his NERVE to fight! I think it may be time to part ways with him.

If he ain't a fighten, he ain't of much use!

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
if we have to have one, Orr and only Orr.

but the days of the pure enforcer are over, we need a guy like a thornton who actually has a little bit of talent.

hoping for instance for a devane or someone else with a little bit of talent, size, heart etc. that can give us 10-20 points a season, not 2 points a season by accident.

He is UFA this year. I highly doubt that he would want to come here unless we give him a nice raise/term. In which case it's an easy no but sounds like something RC could convince DN to do.

LeafsFIO*

Last year I would've said Orr because he was a real good forechecker (look at his work on Chara in Games 2 and 7 of that series, awesome).

But Orr just looks lost this year, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him retire at year's end.

I'm not ready to give up on McLaren. He played a bit of a powerforward role for Worcester, not saying he'll turn into a Kyle Clifford or anything but I don't think it's impossible that he can play regular shifts next season.

I loved the toughness in 2013 don't get me wrong. Orr could control fights with the boxing-style enforcers, McLaren would drop the gloves and swing for the fences, and Fraser was there to take out the trash.

But that sort of stuff is only sustainable for so long, not every game is a war with a divisional rival.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Love them both.

Orr is one of my favorite players, will always respect him and love him, but it seems like he's done. He didn't really fought anymore, but still love his big hits and intimidating factor. The playoffs show how important it is to have an effective 4th line. Still, will always be a big fan of Orr.

Love McLaren as well, he looked to have decent potential in his first few seasons in the AHL, haven't seen him played this year with the Marlies, but if he can found his game again, I'd give him a change. I'm a big believer in having a great fighter like McLaren in the lineup, if after his season in the AHL he can hits, cycle decently, play decent in his own-end, while being one of the best fighter in the game, in keep him on the Leafs.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Last year I would've said Orr because he was a real good forechecker (look at his work on Chara in Games 2 and 7 of that series, awesome).

But Orr just looks lost this year, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him retire at year's end.

I'm not ready to give up on McLaren. He played a bit of a powerforward role for Worcester, not saying he'll turn into a Kyle Clifford or anything but I don't think it's impossible that he can play regular shifts next season.

I loved the toughness in 2013 don't get me wrong. Orr could control fights with the boxing-style enforcers, McLaren would drop the gloves and swing for the fences, and Fraser was there to take out the trash.

But that sort of stuff is only sustainable for so long, not every game is a war with a divisional rival.

Exactly, same opinion as you.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Neither, easily but if I HAD to choose, I'd pick McLaren. There's something .... crazy about him.

tumblr_mhvrn2epme1r41emlo1_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad