Value of: Colorado Players (Rantanen, Colton, etc.)

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If you wanted to do a Rantanen for Marner swap with some pluses/minuses on each side, I am down.

That doesn’t address what Colorado needs in this instance, which would be to get younger and increase their depth.

Colton, Girard or Wood would likely be better targets for the Leafs. Although Girard is a very important part of the Avs D and trading him would need to make sense.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is there a world where you would consider adding another big piece instead of Clara and Lacombe? Would you consider an insane trade of McT, Gauthier/Terry and 3rd overall?

From a cap perspective, the Avs likely would be able to take on Zegras and Terry, but I’m of the opinion they should try and keep Drouin and having three of those forwards might not be the best for Colorado in playoffs.
I personally wouldn’t, way to steep for me.

I’d say 2 big pieces + 2 b to b+ pieces is what I’d be comfortable with.

I think

Mct/zegras + terry/3rd + is prob a pretty solid offer, not sure how many teams could/would match that. If they found a team willing to do more, I’d applaud them and bow out lol

And I’d be somewhat hesitant on the mctavish + 3rd front

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That doesn’t address what Colorado needs in this instance, which would be to get younger and increase their depth.

Colton, Girard or Wood would likely be better targets for the Leafs. Although Girard is a very important part of the Avs D and trading him would need to make sense.

Would you have an interest in players like Robertson, Liljegren or Holmberg? Holmberg seems to be doing well in the Worlds for Sweden right now.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I personally wouldn’t, way to steep for me.

I’d say 2 big pieces + 2 b to b+ pieces is what I’d be comfortable with.

I think

Mct/zegras + terry/3rd + is prob a pretty solid offer, not sure how many teams could/would match that. If they found a team willing to do more, I’d applaud them and bow out lol

And I’d be somewhat hesitant on the mctavish + 3rd front

Totally agree, but worth taking a shot to get that insight!

Obviously this is all hypothetical and you can always change your mind, but would you consider the same trade you proposed with McT instead of Zegras?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Totally agree, but worth taking a shot to get that insight!

Obviously this is all hypothetical and you can always change your mind, but would you consider the same trade you proposed with McT instead of Zegras?
I consider mct/zegras pretty interchangeable. I personally prefer zegras upside but I’d guess pv preference is mctavish.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'll disagree with Zegs. I could see the ducks trading Terry plus other assets for Ratanen. And given the ties to Colorado. Hard to see Zegras going in that package given his uneven season (not to mention future contract demands), Colorado might prefer Terry (signed long term) plus a few other assets (Lacombe goalie, and some picks) with the ducks taking back a cap dump (Woods?). Maybe Terry plus a top D prospect like Hinds? I think the ducks could include the Edmonton first rounder as well.

Given Ratenen's contract requirements, I think he won't return much more than that type of package. But I could be wrong.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Would you have an interest in players like Robertson, Liljegren or Holmberg? Holmberg seems to be doing well in the Worlds for Sweden right now.

For Wood, sure. However the rest of the players listed not so much. Would Liljgren for Wood interest you at all?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Have we ever seen a player receive all of that in a trade?
No. It's generally insane for a rebuilding team to trade those kind of assets for a player that'll be 28 at the start of the season. If a team has the 3rd overall, it generally means they are a ways away from competing. Adding a vet is typically not the answer.

McTavish and the 3rd overall for a vet is outrageously bad asset management.

McTavish has held his draft value. When was the last time any vet was traded for two top 3 picks?

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No. It's generally insane for a rebuilding team to trade those kind of assets for a player that'll be 28 at the start of the season. If a team has the 3rd overall, it generally means they are a ways away from competing. Adding a vet is typically not the answer.

McTavish and the 3rd overall for a vet is outrageously bad asset management.

McTavish has held his draft value. When was the last time any later was traded for two top 3 picks?
Anaheim would never make that trade. Its ridiculous to think Rants is worth 3OA and MacT.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Rantanen straight up for a top 5 pick. Flip the pick for a cost controlled W who can play the right way.

Like another Mittelstadt deal.

Nobody is trading two ace pieces for Rantanen. But one is possible.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Manson is available, I see Leafs interested. Doubt he is though

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
The obsession Avs fans have in moving Rantanen is pure idiocy. Dumbest fan base on HF.

Clearly you don't watch him play. Yes he has 100 points, but he makes 100 mistakes and breaks even. The Avs entire MO is speed and plays on the rush, and Mikko is the worst skater on the team ever since RyJo left. And that isn't worth 12m a year to the Avs on his next deal.

Reactions: Weast

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Clearly you don't watch him play.
Ah yes, the ubiquitous HF get-out-of-jail-free card.

And you're an expert scout with years of experience, right? Definitely not just another fan watching the games on the couch like the me. I'm all ears, why are you a master evaluator?

Yes he has 100 points, but he makes 100 mistakes and breaks even. The Avs entire MO is speed and plays on the rush, and Mikko is the worst skater on the team ever since RyJo left. And that isn't worth 12m a year to the Avs on his next deal.
None of this is true, it's an emotional knee-jerk reaction to losing in the second round and a total exaggeration.

Over the last five regular seasons, Rantanen is fourth among wingers in gross points and points per game. In the playoffs he's fifth in gross points and second among wingers.

100 point wingers don't grow on trees.

If you think the Avs are going to get better sending out Rantanen you're completely off your rocker. He's one of the best wingers in the game and if you think his defense is so bad it offsets his incredible offense then there's no helping you.

No clue why any Avs fan thinks moving him in the middle of a contention window makes sense or improves the team, but then again the average HF fan likes to drool over prospects and cap space. Winning games and competing for Cups is just a nice fringe benefit.

Last edited:

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Ah yes, the ubiquitous HF get-out-of-jail-free card.

And you're an expert scout with years of experience, right? Definitely not just another fan watching the games on the couch like the me. I'm all ears, why are you a master evaluator?

None of this is true, it's an emotional knee-jerk reaction to losing in the second round and a total exaggeration.

Over the last five regular seasons, Rantanen is fourth among wingers in gross points and points per game. In the playoffs he's fifth in gross points and second among wingers.

100 point wingers don't grow on trees.

If you think the Avs are going to get better sending out Rantanen you're completely off your rocker. He's one of the best wingers in the game and if you think his defense is so bad it offsets his incredible offense then there's no helping you.

No clue why any Avs fan thinks moving him in the middle of a contention window makes sense or improves the team, but then again the average HF fan likes to drool over prospects and cap space. Winning games and competing for Cups is just a nice fringe benefit.

Cause the cap exists. Paying Mikko ~12m will destroy what little depth the Avs have and close their window even more, but I guess that's fine by you. I mean, Toews and Kane did so well after signing their big extensions in Chicago.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Cause the cap exists. Paying Mikko ~12m will destroy what little depth the Avs have and close their window even more, but I guess that's fine by you. I mean, Toews and Kane did so well after signing their big extensions in Chicago.
You're probably right, a $2.75 million increase in salary would be wholly crippling considering the cap only rose, checks notes, $4.2 million this offseason.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
You're probably right, a $2.75 million increase in salary would be wholly crippling considering the cap only rose, checks notes, $4.2 million this offseason.

Toews new contract kicks in July 1st, so there's 3.15m more for him, and Mitts will get more than 2.5m on his previous contract (RFA July 1st). So, ya... tons of cap space still I guess?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad