Colorado Avalanche Training Camp Dates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see any reason to think the Avs were projecting/expecting guys like Foudy, OO, or Steinberg, into NHL roles.

That defies logic, because they've never really shown they were NHLers before. That quote from Bednar is just him being honest, not an indicator of the organization's plans.

They've likely appraoched this the same as they have in the past. Give a look at prospects and PTO's in camp, and then go the waiver/UFA/trade route to begin the season, or shortly into it, when decent players can be had.

These aren't big roles the prospects would have taken. They're just waiting for Landy, Lehky, and Val to come back, and when they do, they'll have plenty of forward depth. There likely wouldn't be a spot for those other guys anyway.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This a dumb rule. This is about as clear an instigator as you'll find. Why invent some new penalty about a "legal" line change, and avoid calling the instigator?

I don't always like the instigator rule, but in this case it's necessary IMO. He dropped his stick, chased him down, and basically jumped a guy from behind that didn't want to fight.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I don't see any reason to think the Avs were projecting/expecting guys like Foudy, OO, or Steinberg, into NHL roles.

That defies logic, because they've never really shown they were NHLers before. That quote from Bednar is just him being honest, not an indicator of the organization's plans.

They've likely appraoched this the same as they have in the past. Give a look at prospects and PTO's in camp, and then go the waiver/UFA/trade route to begin the season, or shortly into it, when decent players can be had.

These aren't big roles the prospects would have taken. They're just waiting for Landy, Lehky, and Val to come back, and when they do, they'll have plenty of forward depth. There likely wouldn't be a spot for those other guys anyway.
Yup. I think people are reading way too much into this temporary injury situation. They didn't want to plug these holes with 4th liner at minimum wages. Either Landy and Nuke will be back, meaning they don't need these plugs, or they won't/will fail, which means we will have the cap space to replace them with adequate players.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
@GirardSpinorama I take their words around the opportunities and their lack of backfilling with NHL talent as them projecting guys like OO and Foudy into the lineup. It would be how they projected out Newhook and Jost into the 2C roles prior. Or Makar to the #1D role. They leave the spot open for the youth, who if they get it right, can take it and run. But if they misevaluate, they don't have a good backup option.
They got Kadri and Mittelstadt. I'd say the backup plans were plenty good.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They got Kadri and Mittelstadt. I'd say the backup plans were plenty good.

No team goes every year with every role on the team filled either. There's always a year here and there where they had a weakness they didn't fill, before they address it later.

In general, the Avs have always had pretty good center depth. We fixate on the rare years where they didn't.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
J.L. Foudy has become an incredibly disappointing player.

I don't normally like being overly critical of young players trying to find their way, but I think the issue is he was overhyped here IMO.

Personally, I never saw anything that really separated him from being another TJ Hensick AHL skill player. I think people liked him, and wanted him to be different, but there was never evidence of that.

The Avs have always had lots of these guys, because they identify skill well, but are willing to overlook the intangibles required to make the NHL.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What's a "Geekie"???
IMG_3058.jpeg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't normally like being overly critical of young players trying to find their way, but I think the issue is he was overhyped here IMO.

Personally, I never saw anything that really separated him from being another TJ Hensick AHL skill player. I think people liked him, and wanted him to be different, but there was never evidence of that.

The Avs have always had lots of these guys, because they identify skill well, but are willing to overlook the intangibles required to make the NHL.
My belief was he could become an LOC style player. His skating is tremendous. It's such a shame the rest of his game is absolute trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad