Colorado Avalanche Training Camp Dates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Would've expected him to talk TBH, if he is actually close to returning.

Maybe he says something, but I think the most likely time he'll talk to the media again, is after he's cleared to return. On game day or maybe the day before.

Injured players are kind of off limits to the media for a variety of reasons. Distractions for the team, worried about setbacks, privacy, etc.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I went today, and it was really packed. Much more so than in previous years. As I mentioned in these posts, many of these drills are not game-like situations so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

- MacKinnon is just absurdly more talented than the rest of the group. Makar seemed to take it easy today, but not saying he was bad.

- Drouin was awesome, looked like he was mentally ready and had fun out there.

- I did not like the Colton line overall, even though there were some good spots, notably Wood. That line does not have much puck skills whatsoever.

- The rookie line was bloody awesome, every single one of them read off each other and it wasn't just Richtie, Olausson was making all these really nice detailed passes. Ritchie was a force, but there are two things I am still concerned with; one is his skating as he played catch-up in many long skate drills. The other aspect is that he was overpassing the puck AF today. Almost got into Tanguay-level bad territory lol.

- There were good moments from Megna, but that line had many moments where they were talked to by Bednar (Megna, Felhaber, and Kelly).

- That Wagner line was brutal, omfg, but got better as the session went along.

- Girard was very good, but Behrens oh my he was a bright spot. Everything he did turned into gold I thought in both defensive and offensive situations, but I was more impressed by him defensively.

- The Kylington and Brannstrom pairing was one thing I hated today. I love me Oliver, but he looked rusty and Brannstrom can't play at the NHL speed. If you give Erik time, he will make the correct decision with the puck, but this is too far between. I am still holding on to hope, but they were soft and turnover machines, especially Kylington.

- I liked what I saw from Devante, I know he's probably going to be one of the first cuts, but he was solid.

- Mittelstadt was probably the best player today overall IMHO, especially considering his linemates. He tends to overpass at times, but his IQ is unteachable and positively helps everyone. Kovalenko had some brilliant moments as well.

- Bellemare skating isn't there anymore, but he makes up for it by experience. He was one of the better Group II players.

- Manson was very good, but he tends to feast on the younger and smaller players in camps like these.

- Weinstein was bad and omg Scheel got abused today. For the record, every single goaler got effin' lit up. Many of these drills are not made for goalers, but Scheel was a next-level bad. Not sure what he did to get an AHL contract, because I don't think he is even an ECHL back up quality based on the rookie tournament and today.

- Considering goalers, I thought Mandolese was the best of the bunch...which doesn't mean much. Georgiev and Annunen both got destroyed and Georgiev got beat on many of the same shots as last season, but he did make some high-calibre saves. The problem I noticed is that it seems like he wasn't ever gifted a good/lengthy wing span. He keeps reaching for pucks on both sides and keeps getting beat on the outside.

- I don't think there is much to say about anybody else. Maybe Polin, Aamodt, and Matthew Phillips had some good moments, but not enough to comment about. One player who is growing on me more is Chad Hillebrand. In no way am I comparing Hillebrand to Rempe, but he reminds me of him a tad.

- If I was going to make an educated guess, we are still a potent offensive club that will have defensive issues, while goaltending is a wildcard. I don't think many of the defencemen we brought in will fix an issue like how Georgiev faced some of the highest slot shots last season. Calvin de Haan isn't the answer, Avs need another defenceman, somebody like Esa Lindell would be perfect.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I'd argue addiction hurts the family the most. Especially his wife and young child. That child is likely to have trauma they never fully understand why it exists.

There are plenty of options around it... and it isn't black and white/either or sort of things. You can support the Avs while thinking Val is a POS. You can think both are POS. You can support both. Each person can make their own decision on how they want to view and reflect upon it. Any of us who have been impacted by addiction either directly or indirectly know that it is not a binary thing. There is a lot of grey.

Personally, I'm not blind to the fact that the Avs have a number of questionable characters currently in the org and have had in the past. The professional sports world has a really seedy underbelly to it, that if things really came to light, would shock people. The Avs are definitely not immune to it. I have things that I know that are very distasteful, and I understand it is just the tip of the iceberg. To me, I'll cheer for the Avs with or without Nuke. His morals or addictions really don't have any impact on my fandom. Nuke pisses me off personally because he's had a direct impact on the last two playoff runs in a row. Odds are he'll relapse and do it again too. Maybe not this year, but could be. Could be 2026. But I can understand that cheering for him leaves a bad taste in other peoples' mouths. It is not for me to judge whether people should or should not cheer for him.

On your last line, then you shouldn't be judging @dahrougem2 for his objection either.
Wait, what? It's a baby (right?), not aware of anything. Or maybe Nuke is confusing talc and coke.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Dude... do you even know who you are speaking to? I love @dahrougem2 but social justice warrior is not a label I'd put on him. @Pokecheque that's your SJW here, who I also love.

Also... Nuke has hurt people. What an absurd statement to think that his addiction hasn't hurt people. And the reason for no criminal charges are because he's a professional athlete who is taken care of.

It is perfectly okay to not be happy with the handling of Nuke by the Avs, and to not support Nuke.
diddys money ain’t helping him

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
- MacKinnon is just absurdly more talented than the rest of the group. Makar seemed to take it easy today, but not saying he was bad.
When we watch Mack objectively we realize how underrated he is by his own fanbase.

I said it before but IMO he's already the best player this franchise ever had and it's unfortunate that he had to play at the same time as McDavid.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
So I went today, and it was really packed. Much more so than in previous years. As I mentioned in these posts, many of these drills are not game-like situations so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

- Drouin was awesome, looked like he was mentally ready and had fun out there.

- I did not like the Colton line overall, even though there were some good spots, notably Wood. That line does not have much puck skills whatsoever.

- The rookie line was bloody awesome, every single one of them read off each other and it wasn't just Richtie, Olausson was making all these really nice detailed passes. Ritchie was a force, but there are two things I am still concerned with; one is his skating as he played catch-up in many long skate drills. The other aspect is that he was overpassing the puck AF today. Almost got into Tanguay-level bad territory lol.

- There were good moments from Megna, but that line had many moments where they were talked to by Bednar (Megna, Felhaber, and Kelly).

- That Wagner line was brutal, omfg, but got better as the session went along.

- Girard was very good, but Behrens oh my he was a bright spot. Everything he did turned into gold I thought in both defensive and offensive situations, but I was more impressed by him defensively.

- The Kylington and Brannstrom pairing was one thing I hated today. I love me Oliver, but he looked rusty and Brannstrom can't play at the NHL speed. If you give Erik time, he will make the correct decision with the puck, but this is too far between. I am still holding on to hope, but they were soft and turnover machines, especially Kylington.

- I liked what I saw from Devante, I know he's probably going to be one of the first cuts, but he was solid.

- Mittelstadt was probably the best player today overall IMHO, especially considering his linemates. He tends to overpass at times, but his IQ is unteachable and positively helps everyone. Kovalenko had some brilliant moments as well.

- Bellemare skating isn't there anymore, but he makes up for it by experience. He was one of the better Group II players.

- Manson was very good, but he tends to feast on the younger and smaller players in camps like these.

- Weinstein was bad and omg Scheel got abused today. For the record, every single goaler got effin' lit up. Many of these drills are not made for goalers, but Scheel was a next-level bad. Not sure what he did to get an AHL contract, because I don't think he is even an ECHL back up quality based on the rookie tournament and today.

- Considering goalers, I thought Mandolese was the best of the bunch...which doesn't mean much. Georgiev and Annunen both got destroyed and Georgiev got beat on many of the same shots as last season, but he did make some high-calibre saves. The problem I noticed is that it seems like he wasn't ever gifted a good/lengthy wing span. He keeps reaching for pucks on both sides and keeps getting beat on the outside.

- I don't think there is much to say about anybody else. Maybe Polin, Aamodt, and Matthew Phillips had some good moments, but not enough to comment about. One player who is growing on me more is Chad Hillebrand. In no way am I comparing Hillebrand to Rempe, but he reminds me of him a tad.

- If I was going to make an educated guess, we are still a potent offensive club that will have defensive issues, while goaltending is a wildcard. I don't think many of the defencemen we brought in will fix an issue like how Georgiev faced some of the highest slot shots last season. Calvin de Haan isn't the answer, Avs need another defenceman, somebody like Esa Lindell would be perfect.
Thanks for this, much appreciated!!

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Plenty of studies show that trauma can impact infants prior to actual memories being formed. Even within the first year.
I mean, if the mother takes good care of the baby whatever Nuke does outside of domestic abuse should not have any impact on the child. We have no proof whatsoever that this baby is neglected, no need to go on tangents here.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When we watch Mack objectively we realize how underrated he is by his own fanbase.

I said it before but IMO he's already the best player this franchise ever had and it's unfortunate that he had to play at the same time as McDavid.
I think Makar and McDavid are the only players who can challenge all the stars from the 90s. Picture if you would put Lindros in today's NHL, he would easily average 150+ points per season. MacKinnon plays much differently than someone like Sakic, a finesse freak, or Forsberg, a cycling puck possession beast. MacKinnon is the most entertaining of the three (IMHO), but it shows the quality of difference between a player going 1st overall and someone who is a 2nd round pick. It was substantial seeing someone like Behrens who I thought had a good day and how he doesn't come close to Nate (Or even Rantanen at 10th overall).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean, if the mother takes good care of the baby whatever Nuke does outside of domestic abuse should not have any impact on the child. We have no proof whatsoever that this baby is neglected, no need to go on tangents here.

Addicts never bring their problems home and it doesn’t have impacts on marriages or children.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know what the argument is about, but there definitely is collateral damage with addiction. It psychologically breaks significant others and close family members/friends.
I’m just being a smartass there… yeah… the links to the trauma that close family members experience due to addiction are vast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad