Colorado Avalanche Training Camp Dates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
First day of camp so we probably shouldn't lean too much into the pairings/lines but it's been reported that Girard and Makar have been glued to each other during captain skates. A return of the terri-bad pairing?

Also, poor Mitts. To the surprise of no one Bednar stacks the top line and Mitts gets a bunch of trash.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
First day of camp so we probably shouldn't lean too much into the pairings/lines but it's been reported that Girard and Makar have been glued to each other during captain skates. A return of the terri-bad pairing?

Also, poor Mitts. To the surprise of no one Bednar stacks the top line and Mitts gets a bunch of trash.
IMO it is a signal they are looking at the top line and that pairing as a pure offense option. With Mitts and the Toews/Manson pairing as a pure shutdown setup. Who knows if they will actually execute on it, but I think that is what they are looking at and seeing if it has potential.

Polin is the most interesting of all the guys plugged in. He probably has the current inside track to the 4th line wing spot. The Kelly/PEB dynamic will be interesting to watch too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To the surprise of no one Bednar stacks the top line and Mitts gets a bunch of trash.
He's gonna get Lehky and Landy, which would fit with Hench's idea of a pure defensive line.

Fun fact: it's not impossible that somewhere in November we are stacked and healthy enough to have Lehky play on the 3rd line with Colton and LOC.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
He's gonna get Lehky and Landy, which would fit with Hench's idea of a pure defensive line.

Fun fact: it's not impossible that somewhere in November we are stacked and healthy enough to have Lehky play on the 3rd line with Colton and LOC.

Eventually he will. But he's going to get bottom sixers for the first month and half.

There's definitely a world where both Landeskog and Nuke come back. Nuke I expect to be his typical self (until the postseason cocaine runs) and maybe we get Landy at 60ish%?

Drouin - Mack - Mikko
Landeskog - Mitts - Nuke
Wood - Colton - Lehky
Who cares

Swap Landeskog and Lehky out on the second line depending on play/health. Then the forward group actually looks quite good, though I still think Mitts needs a pure goal scorer.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I think Landeskog on the third line would do a lot for Ross Colton. They need to insulate him defensively. Good way to work the captain back into the lineup.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's just now hitting me how trash this lineup is going to look if Landeskog, Lehkonen, and Nichushkin (we already know his status) aren't ready.

Wonder if we get some Ritchie at wing next to Mittelstadt for a brief tryout just because there's no one else with skill who can do it. Particularly if they want to keep Wood-Colton-LOC together.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
That’s not possible to add 17 lbs of muscles in 2 months.
Cal’s season ended over two months ago; the rookie camp was two months ago.

If his season ended in May/June, that’s about 1 lb / week.

Keep in mind you’ll finish a season 5 lbs lighter than you started, as well, true gain is about 12 lbs.

Pretty standard, whether it’s from juniors to pros, or even juniors to college, to see a weight gain in the 10-15 lb range. I’ve seen 20+, and that’s where it does impact skating, for sure.

Reactions: lionsDen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@RockLobster could you delete post #162?
"No you delete."

@RockLobster

Cal’s season ended over two months ago; the rookie camp was two months ago.

If his season ended in May/June, that’s about 1 lb / week.

Keep in mind you’ll finish a season 5 lbs lighter than you started, as well, true gain is about 12 lbs.

Pretty standard, whether it’s from juniors to pros, or even juniors to college, to see a weight gain in the 10-15 lb range. I’ve seen 20+, and that’s where it does impact skating, for sure.
Or... he put on the freshman 15 via the Keystone Light diet.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
@RockLobster could you delete post #162?
No, you delete.

"No you delete."

@RockLobster

MV5BZDI1ZjUyOGItM2FjYS00MTA5LTg2ZjAtNmViODkxYTQyNDU2XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
At least LOC is healthy if he's with the group?

Also, I still don't get how the cap is going to work once Landy, Lehky, and Nukey are all on the roster. Only way I see it working is 18 skaters and 2 goalies, no extras.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
At least LOC is healthy if he's with the group?

Also, I still don't get how the cap is going to work once Landy, Lehky, and Nukey are all on the roster. Only way I see it working is 18 skaters and 2 goalies, no extras.

I'm not arguing, but the problem with trying an 18 or 19 skater roster is that any injury call-ups mean that replacement player would have to clear waivers going back down and the Avs have very few waivers-exempt players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not arguing, but the problem with trying an 18 or 19 skater roster is that any injury call-ups mean that replacement player would have to clear waivers going back down and the Avs have very few waivers-exempt players.
On the other side of it, once player passes through waivers... they have a window of movement between leagues without them.

The Avs cap situation upon Landy, Lehky, and Nuke's return is likely a combo of small roster, accrual, and a trade. I'd expect a forward and defensemen extra until they are all back. Then only carrying a defensemen as an extra upon their return. So a 19-20 player rosters. Defense is pretty easy to see where it hits maybe one guy swaps with Brannstrom or Kylington, but ~28.5m. Goalies are set at 4.3m. The opening night forward group (including Landy and an extra... minus Lehky and Nuke) will be 48.7m. That's 81.5m. So they'll accrue until Lehky and Nuke return. When Nuke comes back, he'll have a daily hit at his current rate, but effectively for the season will be around 5m. Which leaves Lehky and his 4.5m. That'll mean the Avs need to find about $2m. Which could be a minimum roster, could be another injury (one is bound to happen), could mean playing short to get an emergency callup, could mean finding a taker for Wood. Plenty of ways to solve it, but it is going to be very tight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad