NCAA: College Football 2024: Conference Re-Malign-ment, News & Notes Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Only 2 national champions since 2004 have started outside the AP top 7, and every year since 2003 someone in the AP top 10 finished unranked.

The most likely of the latter seems like Michigan.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think Bama will still finish 9-3 or 10-2 but I think their days of being a perrenial playoff contender are done.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I think Bama will still finish 9-3 or 10-2 but I think their days of being a perrenial playoff contender are done.
Brother, as I've learned the last two years. Get ready to learn Kalen DeBoer. That dude is no joke.

Only 2 national champions since 2004 have started outside the AP top 7, and every year since 2003 someone in the AP top 10 finished unranked.

The best bet to win outside of the top 7 would have to be Mizzou I think. Schedule is light and pretty talented team

Jaydon Blue, be in bubble wrap until Michigan.

However Tashard Choice taking 2 RBs a year should pay dividends.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
10-2 will be a lock and 9-3 in the SEC is going to get in most years with the expanded playoff. Now if the argument is that they won't be a true title contender I won't argue that point one bit.

Brother, as I've learned the last two years. Get ready to learn Kalen DeBoer. That dude is no joke.

The best bet to win outside of the top 7 would have to be Mizzou I think. Schedule is light and pretty talented team

Jaydon Blue, be in bubble wrap until Michigan.

However Tashard Choice taking 2 RBs a year should pay dividends.

yeah not sure I see a contender outside the Top 7 this year. Maybe Utah, the conference schedule did them a HUGE favor as they somehow duck all 3 of Kansas, KState, and West Virginia, and they get both Zona and ISU at home meaning the only top team they travel to is Okie State. 11-1 season and one of the top 4 spots is VERY possible for them.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I'd be more inclined to believe Notre Dame's #7 ranking in both preseason polls if somehow Marcus Freeman had been replaced as HC by Urban Meyer.

A good way to accomplish that would have been NBC offering hosting rights to the first Sunday night NFL game of the season to the team hiring Freeman away from ND, which if successful could have led to ND hiring Meyer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be more inclined to believe Notre Dame's #7 ranking in both preseason polls if somehow Marcus Freeman had been replaced as HC by Urban Meyer.

A good way to accomplish that would have been NBC offering hosting rights to the first Sunday night NFL game of the season to the team hiring Freeman away from ND, which if successful could have led to ND hiring Meyer.

giphy.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oregon State and Washington State evidently had a deadline of this weekend to extend their scheduling agreement and did not. Strange that it was barely one full week, but both are looking at independent schedules next year. Oregon State currently has 6 opponents scheduled for next year, and Washington State 5. They could both schedule UMass, and one schedule UConn while the other schedules Notre Dame if they can make a deal. They probably didn't want to have to go through cutting some of the games they had scheduled.

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've made no secret of my disdain for how the CFP participants are seeded. Automatic bids don't get seeding priority in March Madness so why should the P4 champs get seeding priority in the CFP?
Because when you win the conference, you get the big bowl game

Reactions: LT

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Because when you win the conference, you get the big bowl game
But the seeding system comes with so many flaws. Notre Dame could be the #1 team in the final CFP poll and yet get relegated to the first round because they are independent.

I've been criticizing similar seeding systems for the MLB and NFL playoffs for years now. I'm glad the NBA doesn't have a similar seeding system anymore.

So, my proposal to divide the playoff bracket along the Mason-Dixon Line allows any team in the P4 to have a first-round bye irrespective of status as a conference champion or not or playing as an independent in ND's case.

• Haha

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But the seeding system comes with so many flaws. Notre Dame could be the #1 team in the final CFP poll and yet get relegated to the first round because they are independent.

I've been criticizing similar seeding systems for the MLB and NFL playoffs for years now. I'm glad the NBA doesn't have a similar seeding system anymore.

So, my proposal to divide the playoff bracket along the Mason-Dixon Line allows any team in the P4 to have a first-round bye irrespective of status as a conference champion or not or playing as an independent in ND's case.
Your proposal needs to be convincing Notre Dame to join a conference full time, since that's how this works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad