Player Discussion Colin White RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If you think that can be written off as some "throwaway line" by Garrioch you haven't been paying attention to this team in the last ~3 years. It's abundantly clear this guy is the mouthpiece for the organization. He's the one who hinted at contract issues with Karlsson, Turris, Stone, Duchene, ect long before these guys being dealt was seen as a realistic scenario.

Do I take this to mean White is 100% headed out of town in the next couple of months? Of course not.

Do I get a little worried reading that quote directly from Garrioch given what this team has gone through in recent history? You're damn right I do.

The one thing White doesn’t have in common with those other players is that he isn’t approaching UFA status. He’s a long way from that. I think it’s fair to concluded the two sides are far apart in negotiations but that’s not necessarily a hint at anything drastic. The levels of hysteria are unprecedented.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The one thing White doesn’t have in common with those other players is that he isn’t approaching UFA status. He’s a long way from that. I think it’s fair to concluded the two sides are far apart in negotiations but that’s not necessarily a hint at anything drastic. The levels of hysteria are unprecedented.

Zibanejad wasn't approaching UFA status when he was moved for (at least partially) financial reasons.

Stone being brigded (not once but twice) wasn't an issue until it was a massive one.

This isn't to say we're going to lose White next year, but it's a bit of a concerning trend.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
What this is franchise has done over the last 2 years is too.

If you keep giving fans reasons to be pessimistic, they will be. It’s not complicated.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brown and Duclair have both outscored White. No one is handing $2 mill++ to either of these guys. They all have their issues .. Brown is decent defensively, AD may be weaker defensively but I don’t see a $3 million / year gap (yet).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Brown and Duclair have both outscored White. No one is handing $2 mill++ to either of these guys. They all have their issues .. Brown is decent defensively, AD may be weaker defensively but I don’t see a $3 million / year gap (yet).

Duclair signed for 1 year, it likely would have cost more to buy up more term. No one is suggesting paying that much to White on a (similarly) short term deal.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Zibanejad wasn't approaching UFA status when he was moved for (at least partially) financial reasons.

Stone being brigded (not once but twice) wasn't an issue until it was a massive one.

This isn't to say we're going to lose White next year, but it's a bit of a concerning trend.

I had forgotten about Zibanejad though the situations differ quite a bit. I certainly see why some are pestimistic about the outlook having lost so many players recently but White’s situation is completely different.

I defintely would like to see the organization skip the bridge deals but as in the case of White who has less than 100gp I would understand the hesitation to go long term so quickly. I do think many are reading too much into the comments by Bruce.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I had forgotten about Zibanejad though the situations differ quite a bit. I certainly see why some are pestimistic about the outlook having lost so many players recently but White’s situation is completely different.

I defintely would like to see the organization skip the bridge deals but as in the case of White who has less than 100gp I would understand the hesitation to go long term so quickly. I do think many are reading too much into the comments by Bruce.
I think we're all just concerned the money issues are even worse than we thought and that's it's going to affect more than just UFA's now. Bruce's comments on behalf of the org. doesn't help.

I wouldn't simply blame the organization either, the league is changing to the point of looking like Ottawa isn't even going to be able to keep RFA's with these crazy contracts being given out. RFA's used to be the saving grace, now they're the new UFA's. If Chabot got an offer sheet like Aho did yesterday, do we really think there's enough financial flexibility that they would be able to match? If they could, at what cost elsewhere?

I think a 2 or 3 year deal gets done, but if we bridge everyone again, we're going to walk in to another simultaneous shit storm because cans were kicked down the road and too many come due at once. For a budget team, they may have no choice but to take some risk on young players.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don’t know if I’ve seen quite enough to give him a cap hit of 5 million dollars, I think 4 x 4 is the type of contract I’d like to see.

If he gets 5M, it should be for 7-8 years.

If he were to ask that on a 4 year term it would be unreasonable.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I would do 8x5mil. Helps get to floor now (since we apparently arn't getting any futures for cap space deals) and sets us up well if he becomes the good 2nd line C I think he will be.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Duclair signed for 1 year, it likely would have cost more to buy up more term. No one is suggesting paying that much to White on a (similarly) short term deal.

I am seeing a lot of 4x$5 - 8x$5. I see White’s max value around

2019 - 2.2
2020 - 3.0
2021 - 3.5

So even a 4th year at 4x$5mill would be suggesting that year is worth nearly $8 million.

I hate this EM/PD crap as much at anyone but not over paying and getting assets will be a new market efficiency as players sign early RFA and UFA contracts.

It stings that we lost our players but every team is losing guys. It is common place with Players hitting UFA at 25+. We got Colin White for a weaker version of Lehner... the Islanders didn’t get anything for a better Lehrer. With players so close to FA teams look at them as valuable for a short time.

I hate that we are a budget team but there is an efficiency at selling high. 8 year $40 million for White prob ends up worse than the Smith contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They'll nickle and dime every time they can. Dorion only understands gun to the head. He's going to sit Colin down in a room and lip smack him till he caves on a 1 or 2 year 2-2.5 million deal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think Melnyk won't last long enough as owner to even see if FYOUS is real or not. Hopefully a new owner is in place once guys like White are due for their third contract.

[MOD]

As for White, he'll get a bridge, likely 2 years. What happens after that...who knows. One thin for sure, the kids this time won't be accepting team-friendly deals. Sens have used up all their chances with that shtick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

No one's hysterical. Just realistic and don't have wool over their eyes.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think we're all just concerned the money issues are even worse than we thought and that's it's going to affect more than just UFA's now. Bruce's comments on behalf of the org. doesn't help.

I wouldn't simply blame the organization either, the league is changing to the point of looking like Ottawa isn't even going to be able to keep RFA's with these crazy contracts being given out. RFA's used to be the saving grace, now they're the new UFA's. If Chabot got an offer sheet like Aho did yesterday, do we really think there's enough financial flexibility that they would be able to match? If they could, at what cost elsewhere?

I think a 2 or 3 year deal gets done, but if we bridge everyone again, we're going to walk in to another simultaneous **** storm because cans were kicked down the road and too many come due at once. For a budget team, they may have no choice but to take some risk on young players.

The big difference now compared to past RFAs and their bridge deals is that the team is no longer trying to compete on budget. They are building it from the bottom. The pessimism regarding the budget is fair and I have my doubts about future spending but at this point there is room to spend money becuase of the little commitment to future salaries unlike when a player likely Stone was up for an extension. It’s already out there that the organization is going to try to extend Chabot long term, so it’s not something they are adverse to.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No one's hysterical. Just realistic and don't have wool over their eyes.

We are talking about a player who is 5 years away from UFA leaving becuase contract negotiations. A lot of people are hysterical.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We are talking about a player who is 5 years away from UFA leaving becuase contract negotiations. A lot of people are hysterical.

Players can leave earlier than that if they exercise their right to sign an offer sheet like Aho did.

For example Chabot could sign an offer sheet as soon as next July if he chooses to do so.

We are 1 year away from that being a real possibility, and the Sens can sign Chabot as of yesterday. This is not hysteria, there is cause for concern when the owner doesn't sign its best players .... DUE TO SIGNING BONUS MONEY.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Stone was an RFA and what happened there?

Concern about Melnyk being unable to compete with other teams due to bonus structures is legit. I’m licking my chops if I’m Bergevin on July 1, 2020 and Chabot isn’t signed yet.

You really think Chabot’s agent is paying attention to what happened? There’s no way Melnyk would be willing to pay the bonus Carolina just did.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Montreal should offer sheet White. 4.2 mill with max bonus only cost a second round pick.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stone was an RFA and what happened there?

Concern about Melnyk being unable to compete with other teams due to bonus structures is legit. I’m licking my chops if I’m Bergevin on July 1, 2020 and Chabot isn’t signed yet.

You really think Chabot’s agent is paying attention to what happened? There’s no way Melnyk would be willing to pay the bonus Carolina just did.

Fully aware of how offer sheets as well as signing bonuses work. Was actually pointing out last June how signing bonuses would be a problem for Ottawa. I love the mention of Aho because that recent example makes people think every player is looking to go that route the same way everyone now thinks college prospects are going to go the same route players like Vessey and Schultz went. Much ado about nothing. In both cases it is something worth discussing because it is a possibility albeit a slight possibility but many posts are going to lengths to suggest it is inevitable which isn't realistic no matter how bleak your outlook maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad