Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It seems like the narrative or commentary around a long term deal is if the Jets are open to it, with the bridge being most likely

Sooooooo I'm guessing a long term deal happens :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Chevy would love a long term deal if it came at his number or close to it. I’ve believed all along both sides are exploring a long term deal and a bridge is the fall back position if it can’t be worked out.

Well Cole is taking part in the team video stuff today and is listed on the TC roster so I'd guess progress keeps getting made. I doubt he'd be doing anything like this if something wasn't really close.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Well Cole is taking part in the team video stuff today and is listed on the TC roster so I'd guess progress keeps getting made. I doubt he'd be doing anything like this if something wasn't really close.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this deal was done and they were waiting until the right time to bring the hype

Reactions: macmaroon

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The issue with this line of thinking is if he breaks out he will be commending $8 million plus next deal and he will have the arbitration hammer.

But I've always thought it made more sense for Cole to bridge given how his coach handled his back half last year.

His back half? Let's not forget the frequent "too small to hit the ice" benchings early in the year despite him having good defensive numbers compared to other certain players.

If Cole is actually open to a long term deal you should be smart and do it, get his prime years for cheap instead of paying equal value for them in 2 years time.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His back half? Let's not forget the frequent "too small to hit the ice" benchings early in the year despite him having good defensive numbers compared to other certain players.

If Cole is actually open to a long term deal you should be smart and do it, get his prime years for cheap instead of paying equal value for them in 2 years time.

Agreed. He was sandbagged pretty good the first half as well. I honestly have no idea why he'd be open for a long term deal but if your the org you should jump at it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. He was sandbagged pretty good the first half as well. I honestly have no idea why he'd be open for a long term deal but if your the org you should jump at it.
I get the impression that Perfetti feels a nice connection to Arniel, as Arniel arguably gave him his best opportunities in Bones' absence. And has since reached out to him this summer. The kid seems to be very mature and has hooked into the core group, and is likely able to step past past slights and be very forward thinking.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I get the impression that Perfetti feels a nice connection to Arniel, as Arniel arguably gave him his best opportunities in Bones' absence. And has since reached out to him this summer. The kid seems to be very mature and has hooked into the core group, and is likely able to step past past slights and be very forward thinking.

Oh, I think he's very much dialed in with his new coach and the core group. But his usage under Bones impacts his contract value. If he feels he wasn't able to show what he was capable of due to it then I could see him pushing for a bridge so that he can prove to the org his worth with better usage under a coach who trusts him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh, I think he's very much dialed in with his new coach and the core group. But his usage under Bones impacts his contract value. If he feels he wasn't able to show what he was capable of due to it then I could see him pushing for a bridge so that he can prove to the org his worth with better usage under a coach who trusts him.
I think both sides can push past that IMO, and have a realistic appraisal on his future importance to the team. Long term deals ensure future well being for you and your family no matter what happens down the line. Something in the 6-7 year range that pays him $35 - 45 M would be very enticing.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think both sides can push past that IMO, and have a realistic appraisal on his future importance to the team. Long term deals ensure future well being for you and your family no matter what happens down the line. Something in the 6-7 year range that pays him $35 - 45 M would be very enticing.
Who signs the checks?
Arniel can say anything he wants, it’s not as simple as that

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

A coach that trusts him? Wasn't Arniel one of the coaches that benched him for 11 regular season games and all but 2 periods of the playoffs in favour of 2 AHL scrubs?

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
In Perfetti's own words he said he didn't deal much with Arniel as he ran the PK and defense. So Cole's usage wouldn't have been in Scott's purview.

Are you saying that the Associate coach, the heir to Boneheads head coaching job, had no input into line-up decisions?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Are you saying that the Associate coach, the heir to Boneheads head coaching job, had no input into line-up decisions?

Bones pulled the same shit in Dallas with Hintz and Robertson and Arniel wasn't there. It wouldn't have mattered who was here with him he'd still have pulled it with Cole as it seems to be part of his development playbook. Bones had final say and kept touting his lame ass line of if I can scratch these elc players I can scratch Cole mantra.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Friedman also mentioned on a previous pod that teams do not like using Ottawa deals as comparables. I guess the thought is that guys were overpaid by the previous ownership regime.

He mentioned it specifically with Yzerman not wanting to use Tim Stutzle as a comparable for Lucas Raymond, but I wonder if Chevy feels the same about the Pinto deal?

Pinto went unsigned for half of 2022-23 due to his gambling suspension. The Sens were cap strapped, so he signed a league minimum deal at $775k when the suspension ended. The thought at the time he signed his current 2x$3.75M deal was that it was really more like a 3x$2.75M deal encompassing the previous season.

It is a little bit of an outlier. Most salary models have Perfetti at like $3.5 or less.
one of the insiders said recently the Jets felt Pinto's deal was to high for Perfetti. IIRC it was reported Perfetti wanted 4m on a bridge, & EvolvingHockey had him closer to 3m. perhaps the Jets are closer to the latter in terms of a bridge deal.

for that initial Pinto deal was that 0.775m for half the year though? aren't deals that are signed in season valued at GP remaining?

anyway everyone seems to be saying bridge, but when insiders talk like that about the Jets it seems like its the opposite. so i am not going to be surprised if it's not a 2 year deal :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
When Bones was away from.the team, Arniel had him out late in games protecting leads

If I recall, Perfetti played 19 minutes at least once under Arniel
are you including 2 years ago? didn't look at 22-23 but his highest TOI came against ANA when KC got hurt at 18:39, pretty sure bowness was back by then. even ehlers got 20 minutes that night lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad