Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Here are the arguments I’ve heard:

1. ‘But Caufield said he needs to shoot more from in close.’

2. ‘I don’t know.’

Neither of those are valid.

Provide me with something plausible and we can discuss it. Please give me an alternative good reason why a player who just had surgery would suddenly see his shooting percentage plummet to extreme outlier levels.

Give me a reason besides the two that have come before and I’ll listen.
For the record I do think Caufield's shooting percentage will bounce back this year and we'll see numerous 35+ goals seasons over his career. But this is now the 2nd time Caufield has gone ice cold for half a season, it was easy to dismiss the first time because he was a rookie and Ducharme wasn't a good coach, but we also have to acknowledge that he might just be a guy who goes on crazy hot and crazy cold streaks.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For the record I do think Caufield's shooting percentage will bounce back this year and we'll see numerous 35+ goals seasons over his career. But this is now the 2nd time Caufield has gone ice cold for half a season, it was easy to dismiss the first time because he was a rookie and Ducharme wasn't a good coach, but we also have to acknowledge that he might just be a guy who goes on crazy hot and crazy cold streaks.
It doesn’t seem like it but we’re dealing with a really small sample size.

The Ducharme piece is explainable. He simply wasn’t playing well. Some of that is coaching and linemates, some of it is overtime and opportunity… but the numbers weren’t there. That hasn’t been the case since. His numbers have done nothing but improve. He should’ve scored at least 40 last year. He was ultra consistent in the minors. Ultra consistent under MSL. All of a sudden he stopped scoring despite improving numbers.

It doesn’t make sense for a guy of his talent to put up those kinds of shot numbers and not score. But it makes perfect sense when you factor in that doctors have said it’s a three year recovery period.

Again, yeah he was healthy enough to play. But that doesn’t mean he played at 100 percent.

I say 35 this year and hope for more. But I don’t know enough about that surgery to say if his shot will ever be as good as it was. It’s supposed to be 100 percent after three years but…. ???

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, he certainly needs to be more consistent.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Not quite the truth.

I pointed out CC and MSL stated he needed to get in closer, what they called the “paint” because that’s where the better scoring opportunities are. His shot would be more effective. In addition, he also stated his shoulder was 100%.

However, you know more about CCs shoulder, and what he/MSL believe will improve his goal output.

Even out of the players mouth, you know better. Silly to say the least.

Of course they are lying, lol.

Man, it’s really not that hard to understand that the shoulder could of been 100% but he needed to get used to shoot and play on it again. You’re not gonna be in top form if you haven’t been able to shoot for months or practice your shot during a normal off season after getting a surgery. It takes time to get comfortable again.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
It's my understanding (per the previous poster you were discussing with) that MSL and Caufield themselves said he hadn't been dealing with an injury this year and that he was 100%. If that's the case and you're still dismissing that out of hand, there's nothing that anyone can say that's going to convince you otherwise - not that it's what I'm even particularly trying to do, just saying that dismissing it is kind of silly.

You can’t have a convo with him. He’s right, there is no other alternative reason. Even CC and MSL are wrong 🤷

Shit, if CC says his shoulder is 100% and states he&msl believe his goal output will increase if he gets closer to the net, as he stated the “paint” where his shot will be more effective, I’m inclined to believe they know better than a HF poster? But maybe CC&MSL don’t understand the situation quite like Lafleurs. I guess that’s a possibility.

Silly it is!

Man, it’s really not that hard to understand that the shoulder could of been 100% but he needed to get used to shoot and play on it again. You’re not gonna be in top form if you haven’t been able to shoot for months or practice your shot during a normal off season after getting a surgery. It takes time to get comfortable again.
And it’s quite viable to believe what he and his coach think the problem is and what it is not.

I’ll go with those two over random hf guy. Shit straight from the horses mouth isn’t viable nowadays 😂

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You can’t have a convo with him. He’s right, there is no other alternative reason. Even CC and MSL are wrong 🤷

Shit, if CC says his shoulder is 100% and states he&msl believe his goal output will increase if he gets closer to the net, as he stated the “paint” where his shot will be more effective, I’m inclined to believe they know better than a HF poster? But maybe CC&MSL don’t understand the situation quite like Lafleurs. I guess that’s a possibility.

Silly it is!
No player has ever lied about their health.

Ever.

Every player discloses everything to everyone, especially the press.

No, really….

And it’s quite viable to believe what he and his coach think the problem is and what it is not.
It’s really not. It’s far more likely that they aren’t disclosing an injury. Players do that every day.

It’s also right in line with the recovery schedule. It takes three years to recover fully from it.

• Haha
Reactions: Habby4Life

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
No player has ever lied about their health.

Ever.

Every player discloses everything to everyone, especially the press.

No, really….
Dude Cole could come and have coffee with you and tell you he is fine straight to your face and you would still think you’re right.

It’s complete twilight zone material.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think cc is ready to eclipse his breakout goal year yet. He adjusted his game but his shot isn't what it was pre surgery. Sad that he may never be as good a goal scorer as he was before.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think cc is ready to eclipse his breakout goal year yet. He adjusted his game but his shot isn't what it was pre surgery. Sad that he may never be as good a goal scorer as he was before.
Let us pray.

Doctors say it’s usually 100 percent within three years. So hopefully that’s what happens for him.

It sucks too because we missed out on a career year last season. He had a shot at being our first 50 goal guy since Richer.

• Haha
Reactions: Habby4Life

Ad

Ad

Ad