Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Really good season from him after his injurie. That's take 14 month before he can play like before. Next year, he is going to be ready to score more. I'm not worried.

Now, people know that he is a really good playkamer aswell.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Halak > Price!!!

I loved that debate.
I lost my shit in that thread. I had just recently joined. :laugh:
I remember describing Price as one of the most fundamentally sound goaltenders I'd ever seen and if he didn't win a Cup with us he'd win one elsewhere.
I thought the latter was going to happen as he approached free agency until he got that Monster Contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I may be in the minority but I think Cole had a good year.
Really good imo.

Opponents have played us like a team with one pure shooter because it's largely what we are. We've been a one line team since Monahan was traded. Maybe slightly before.

He's shown his capacity to create for others. He's worked on his play without the puck. He's 22. Sure, we'd have loved 40 goals. That could come with what our #1 line accomplished over second half. It's more likely to happen when we bolster the top six and give our #1 time away from the other teams' best more.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
he had 48 goals in his first 82 games since MSL took over, so this 25 goals is a little underwhelming

But, and its a big but, he's, I think, a more rounded player now and improved a lot of other aspects of his play
He improved his playmaking, passing, D awareness, puck battling...
His companions in Suzuki and Slaf started shooting more and he's no more the only shooting option in PP.
He also have this year a 8.3% shooting percentage which I consider a fluke, he had 16.5% last year and 13% and 12% the years before, I consider he can easily climb back to 12 or 13% next year, and 16%+ is not a reach

Reactions: SlafySZN and Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's definitely remarkable and a testament to Caufield that this
'25g 62 pts season' so far is a 'down' year for Cole, who we all know is capable of even more, this isn't him 'topping out'
Next year with even more offense added to the team he could hit 75+ pts seamlessly

But personally I just can't wait to see him in his 2nd playoffs man, gonna be lot of fun

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
he had 48 goals in his first 82 games since MSL took over, so this 25 goals is a little underwhelming

But, and its a big but, he's, I think, a more rounded player now and improved a lot of other aspects of his play
His companions in Suzuki and Slaf started shooting more and he's no more the only shooting option in PP.
He also have this year a 8.3% shooting percentage which I consider a fluke, he had 16.5% last year and 13% and 12% the years before, I consider he can easily climb back to 12 or 13% next year, and 16%+ is not a reach
With last year’s shooting percentage he’d be over 50 goals by the end of this year. Not a stretch to think he might’ve been close to 90 points.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

After missing almost half of last year, he's played every game, greatly improved his play away from the puck and will end up with ~65 points.

People wanted him to be a 40 goal guy this year, but with the improvements in his overall game this year it will help him get to 40 goals in the future.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He didn't have a bad year but based on the predictions the fans were clearly expecting more goal scoring. I predicted 37 goals and 23 assists when this thread was created and he is currently sitting at 25 goals and 37 assists. My overall total isn't far off but I expected more goal scoring. I see him as a 30 man and others disagree but it's all good.

Reactions: Tyson

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

People keep ignoring that 48 goals in 82 games just because it wasn’t in one season.

I just hope no one’s truly shocked if he’s a 40+ perennially. Hell, with the way this league is going it could be more.

His pedigree is that of a generational/near generational goal scorer. Besides this year after a shoulder surgery and a half year with Ducharme he’s done nothing but live up to that pedigree.

He’s rounding out his game this year. He will likely not have this low a shp again. He’s an absolute stud. Best is yet to come just like the other 2

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I don't really care how many goals he gets. His shot opens up space for his teammates, and he is smart enough and skilled enough to make plays. People judging this year on goal totals only are not seeing the full picture.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I don't really care how many goals he gets. His shot opens up space for his teammates, and he is smart enough and skilled enough to make plays. People judging this year on goal totals only are not seeing the full picture.
people are too negative.

25G, 60-65P is still a pretty good season given how bad the team is, and his shooting % is literally half what it was last year.

Xss

Jul 9, 2009
I wonder if they split the Suzuki line next year. Maybe move Caufield with Dach, let Suzuki handle the tougher matchups and finally have more than one scoring line.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His year wasn't horrible. He's never gonna be a great board player and we are already aware of that.
Recently he's been getting off the perimeter going into high traffic areas in and around the net and he's finding his scoring again.
Pretty much what we've been saying all year he's now popping goals from much closer in.
It's not hard to surmise he's more comfortable and confident his shoulder will hold up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
people are too negative.

25G, 60-65P is still a pretty good season given how bad the team is, and his shooting % is literally half what it was last year.
There are only so many goals to go around on a club like ours. Suzuki picked up his pace incredibly and Slaf is claiming his.
It's not a coincidence when Cole started scoring more just recently Suzuki cooled off.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
There are only so many goals to go around on a club like ours. Suzuki picked up his pace incredibly and Slaf is claiming his.
It's not a coincidence when Cole started scoring more just recently Suzuki cooled off.
and most importantly, whether it shows up on the scoresheet or not, I find that all three of them usually contribute to the goal. when they're on, they're a scary effective trio

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His year wasn't horrible. He's never gonna be a great board player and we are already aware of that.
Recently he's been getting off the perimeter going into high traffic areas in and around the net and he's finding his scoring again.
Pretty much what we've been saying all year he's now popping goals from much closer in.
It's not hard to surmise he's more comfortable and confident his shoulder will hold up.
I looked you up Alex Debrincat numbers for this season as they are pretty much the same type of players and are the same size.
79 GP 24 G 39 A 63 Points and a -3. This is on a team that has a much better supporting cast.

Reactions: Rapala

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
and most importantly, whether it shows up on the scoresheet or not, I find that all three of them usually contribute to the goal. when they're on, they're a scary effective trio

They are, but the team has talked more in the past about duos and I tend to agree. In a salary cap world, you kind of need to find your duos and then find who is an effective contributor to the line as a rotational 3rd.

Suzuki and Slafkovsky have shown more chemistry this year than Caufield and Suzuki has.

I think next year they need to go into the year thinking Suzuki-Slaf is a duo and Dach-Caufield is a duo. You can rotate the likes of Newhook, Roy, etc. on their lines as the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad