GDT: COL @ WPG: Checkmate (COL Leads 3-1): 9:30p ET

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Does anyone have all 5 of the Deserve To Win O’Meters?
View attachment 861779
View attachment 861780
View attachment 861781
View attachment 861782

Aside from Game 3, the Jets haven't come close to deserving a single win in this series. Keep doing what we're doing in Game 5, do not let up or relent. They do not have an answer for our forecheck, speed, and talent.

In that 5 game series not once did the Jets "deserve" to win according to money puck. Tonight was the closest, and that meets the eye test, but there should be no grounds for complaint from Jets fans. Avs deserved this series and they took it.

View attachment 862906

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So can anyone tell me how the Vilardi hit on Cale was originally called a major and then determined to be nothing. All I can guess is they didn't see it, called it a major to review it, then watched it and somehow determined no penalty.

I don't think it was a major, but it was textbook interference and a cheap shot to player nowhere near the puck. Not sure how it was deemed nothing.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
So can anyone tell me how the Vilardi hit on Cale was originally called a major and then determined to be nothing. All I can guess is they didn't see it, called it a major to review it, then watched it and somehow determined no penalty.

I don't think it was a major, but it was textbook interference and a cheap shot to player nowhere near the puck. Not sure how it was deemed nothing.
Ya I thought it could have been interference as well but at that point in the game/series I understand why nothing was called. It was an intentional cheap shot by Vilardi for sure

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019

Basically ya, they called it a major so they could take a look at it. It definitely wasn't a major but maybe 2 minutes for interference.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

They likely called a major due to the result of the play more than seeing it. Thats the only way to review the play for a penalty. Upon review, they likely just determined it to be a normal faceoff battle than blatant interference. Not that I agree, but that’s likely what happened.

Interference in hockey is like holding in the NFL. You can call it on any play if you really want. Most refs have a standard of letting a certain amount go and typically faceoffs get a lot of leeway.

That said, Vilardi did that on purpose with the idea that it would be a tough penalty to actually call.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They likely called a major due to the result of the play more than seeing it. Thats the only way to review the play for a penalty. Upon review, they likely just determined it to be a normal faceoff battle than blatant interference. Not that I agree, but that’s likely what happened.

Interference in hockey is like holding in the NFL. You can call it on any play if you really want. Most refs have a standard of letting a certain amount go and typically faceoffs get a lot of leeway.

That said, Vilardi did that on purpose with the idea that it would be a tough penalty to actually call.
I get interference is all over the place but an obvious forearm shiver to a players upper chest, neck region, that clearly knocked the wind out of player that was nowhere near the puck seems like a fairly easy one to call.

It's the equivalent of an offensive tackle getting beat and then straight throwing a guy to the ground so the quarterback doesn't get lit up.

I get playoffs 3rd period, Vilardi's team of down 2 with 10 mins left but the NHL can't miss that, especially after reviewing it.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Pumped about that W still. Jets played their best game of the series IMO. I thought that the MittelJost line looked markedly pedestrian last night, Bowness did a good job getting Shief away from him. Love to see MacK-Rants wake up a bit at the end there. They still have so much more to give. Frail still frail but very elite. George, I'm honestly happy for him to play the rest of the series the way he did after than shitshow of a first game. I, as well as others, ripped on him hard and then he turned things around and got the job done. I think Kovalenko should not see another shift of playoff action. The kid is just out of his element and looks beyond lost out there. That turnover he had at out blue line was bench worthy in it's own right and his loss of coverage on the Toffoli goal is just no bueno. Get him started off with a clean slate next season to truly try and gauge what we have there.

Would love to see Drouin/Landy or both return for the 2nd round. Here's to the Stars and Knights beating each other up for another 3 games!
Totally agree on Kovalenko. People want to blame George for the goal but Toffoli has a superb wrist shot and he had an unobstructive lane to the net from the high slot - because Kovalenko collided with Colton on the coverage. George was a bit late following Tyler's path and George just missed getting it with his blocker.

That's ALL on Kovalenko.

Reactions: missionAvs

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Textbook interference. Intentional. Not incidental. Against the NHL's BEST defenseman.

NHL officiating failure. Playing to the Canadian lumberjack audience.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A ton of people have acknowledged his improved play since game 1?
To the George fans it will never be enough. There were definitely times that George still looked shaky in this game and others. Credit to him that he stepped up when needed and hopefully it continues. IMO it is just a matter of time before he has a few meltdown games though. Hopefully the timing happens where the Avs can recover and it doesn't cost a series. As long as he doesn't cost as series, I'll be good with him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Totally agree on Kovalenko. People want to blame George for the goal but Toffoli has a superb wrist shot and he had an unobstructive lane to the net from the high slot - because Kovalenko collided with Colton on the coverage. George was a bit late following Tyler's path and George just missed getting it with his blocker.

That's ALL on Kovalenko.
George has to have that, despite the poor defensive coverage. It was mid level shot, from distance with no one in front of him and he barely reacted. No other goalie in the league is getting burned on 85mph 40ft+ wristers with no one in front. He didn't even touch it, not great.

I'm just glad that it didn't effect George's play after it, he just moved on and made all the saves after that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I get interference is all over the place but an obvious forearm shiver to a players upper chest, neck region, that clearly knocked the wind out of player that was nowhere near the puck seems like a fairly easy one to call.

It's the equivalent of an offensive tackle getting beat and then straight throwing a guy to the ground so the quarterback doesn't get lit up.

I get playoffs 3rd period, Vilardi's team of down 2 with 10 mins left but the NHL can't miss that, especially after reviewing it.
Most NHL refs only call interference on faceoffs if it directly will cause a scoring chance. Not saying it is a right, but that is a typical standard. The rest is just a battle.

That's ALL on Kovalenko.
how-dare-you-greta-thunberg.gif

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Kovalenko was ass yesterday, there's no denying that, but that third goal for Winnipeg is all on Colton imo. He for some reason was going off on a change when Winnipeg was reloading and then realized oh shit I need to come back and was late on Toffoli. Yes him and Kovy kinda bumped into each other a bit but I don't think Colton would have gotten there in time anyways. Bad play by Ross.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kovalenko was ass yesterday, there's no denying that, but that third goal for Winnipeg is all on Colton imo. He for some reason was going off on a change when Winnipeg was reloading and then realized oh shit I need to come back and was late on Toffoli. Yes him and Kovy kinda bumped into each other a bit but I don't think Colton would have gotten there in time anyways. Bad play by Ross.
Toffoli was Kovalenko's man and there wasn't a line change happening. Kovalenko initially collapsed to the bench side (where Colton was already covering) instead of sticking to the middle of the ice in the neutral zone. This lead to the whole box side being covered by JMFJ. By the time Kovalenko realizes it, he's way out of position and Ehlers has a clean entry. Instead of reading the play and knowing his place on the ice.... which would mean passing Ehlers off to Colton, Kovalenko leaves Toffoli wide open at the point with a ton of space. Colton was actually in the right spot and the collision is Colton trying to cover the space that Kovalenko left open.

That coverage mistake is 100% on Kovalenko and started at the Jets' blueline to where it cascaded.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Still have no faith in Fourgiev going forward. The team dominated Winnipeg so hard he just didn't have to completely shit the bed. He still had a negative goals save above expected.
Same as Kuemper in 22. He didn’t have to be great, just make some saves and give the team chance to win because Avs are gonna score enough goals and that’s what Georgiev did after game 1. He didn’t allow more than one or two softies.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad