Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Oliver Kylington signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.05M)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
1 year x 1.05 million as per Friedman.

LHD: Toews-Girard-Kylington-Brannstrom-de Haan
RHD: Makar-Manson-Malinski

I vaguely recall that Brannstrom prefers to play on the right side, so maybe a 3rd pairing of Kylington-Brannstrom?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can an Avs fan explain to me how they will be cap compliant (assuming Landy and Nichushkin come back)?
Nichushkin is back in November, so his pro-rated cap hit will be around $1-2 mil less (I forget the exact amount). I doubt Landy is in the opening line-up as well so whenever he comes back he'll have some shaved off as well.

From my understanding, it's very fluid since we don't know the timeline of Landy and the Avs always have injury. If miraculously they're fully healthy, I imagine CMac has a trade lined up for a player like Wood, G, or Colton, (prob for quarters on the dollar) - but I doubt that'll actually happen.

Reactions: All Mighty

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

I vaguely recall that Brannstrom prefers to play on the right side, so maybe a 3rd pairing of Kylington-Brannstrom?
Brannstrom preferred the right side in JR but has commented that it is harder to make plays in the defensive zone when he is playing the right.

It I was looking for offense, I would consider playing him on the right but unless thats my clear priority with him I would keep him on the left. IMO his best asset by far is transitioning it out of his zone, which is easier on the left, and jos injury risk is higher on the right too imo. Just imagine pinching against a big, fast body on the left side of the ice versus the right… far more vulnerable on the right. And Branny puts himself into vulnerable positions a lot. It is both an asset (he is incredibly gutsy and will do whatever he can to help him team) and a liability (injuries and taking himself out of the play by getting blown up).

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Nichushkin is back in November, so his pro-rated cap hit will be around $1-2 mil less (I forget the exact amount). I doubt Landy is in the opening line-up as well so whenever he comes back he'll have some shaved off as well.

From my understanding, it's very fluid since we don't know the timeline of Landy and the Avs always have injury. If miraculously they're fully healthy, I imagine CMac has a trade lined up for a player like Wood, G, or Colton, (prob for quarters on the dollar) - but I doubt that'll actually happen.
I didn’t even realize Nichushkin’s cap hit could be pro-rated. Definitely seems like a tight squeeze, but teams always figure it out one way or another.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Landeskog’s injury prognosis says he won’t be healthy until game 1 of the playoffs. Nichuskin will be in rehab and have his head clear the day before game 1 of the playoffs. Purely coincidental I promise you.
*checks the source’s location*

1722889132267.gif

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Can an Avs fan explain to me how they will be cap compliant (assuming Landy and Nichushkin come back)?
  • PuckPedia has Colorado at ~$2.1M in cap space (includes Landeskog).
  • Nichushkin's cap hit will be prorated, if he returns when first eligable, his cap hit will be roughly ~$4.9M.
PuckPedia has a 22 man roster. After demoting their (3) two-way guys, Colorado will still be over the cap by ~$0.5M. So they'd still have to demote a lower end one-way player, cutting themselves down to 18 skaters.

Most likely though: Landeskog starts the year on the LTIR, and Nichushkin doesn't return when first eligible (or possibly at all).

Reactions: All Mighty

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He overplayed his hand thinking he could get a raise and term, Flames signed Bean instead to take his spot. Oh well, good luck to him, at least he got an offer. Maybe he can actually play during this contract.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not a bad gamble at all. He had that one good season 3 years ago, and if he can get back to that, he’s a steal. If not, he gets buried without Colorado keeping anything on the cap

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
See: Vegas Golden Knights...

Landeskog’s injury prognosis says he won’t be healthy until game 1 of the playoffs. Nichuskin will be in rehab and have his head clear the day before game 1 of the playoffs. Purely coincidental I promise you.
Works for the other teams. Can't beat them, join them. It's been infuriating watching how the Avs play within the rules and still have success vs. the other teams.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Brannstrom prefers the right side, but in Ottawa it seems like the league was too fast for him to play his offside so they tried not to use him there.

It's not realistic to pen him in on the right side, although he might be okay there in small doses.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Initially he wanted a multi-year deal. I guess he couldn’t find one.

He’s got potential, but he really hasn’t played much hockey in the last three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,594.00