Confirmed Trade: [COL/NYR] Alexandar Georgiev for 2022 3rd and 5th round picks, and 2023 3rd round pick

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Feels too early to admit we lost the trade.
Can we Avs fans at least keep deluding ourselves until those 3 prospects make the NHL or at least sign their ELCs?

We're still waiting on the 2023 3rd round pick to be drafted, but he's definitely going to be a stud, which only makes this more lopsided than it already clearly is. :nod:

Reactions: AslanRH

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Not a hot take to think Keumper > Georgiev

Keumper is very good and has put up some impressive numbers over the last 4 or 5 years, so you're not wrong. But once you look at the big picture, and factor in age and cap hit and contract length and all that, the question of who was the better choice for the Avs becomes a lot less clear.

Given Kuemper's history of injuries, plus being 32 years old, a 5 year commitment at $5.25m is risky, especially with all of our other cap concerns.

With Georgiev at $3.4m for 3 years, the Avs get more cap space to spend elsewhere while still having a guy who seems like a capable starter.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
1681566078921.gif

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
A lot of people (including Avs fans) are writing off the Avs because of Landeskog's absence and loss of depth. They went 16-4 last year with Kuemper putting up some of the worst goaltending numbers in history on a Cup champion.

They do lose firepower upfront, but finally have a (relatively) healthy blueline that's the best in the league. And Georgiev has been arguably a top 5 goaltender in the league this season. It will be nice for a goalie to have the ability to steal a game or 2 instead of just playing well enough not to lose.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He's been my MVP for the Avs this season. Tied maybe with Rantanen. Mack would have been higher if he didn't miss so many games.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I suspect Georgiyev will have a SV% around .910 by the end of the season and Avs fans will be wondering if he’s an NHL starting caliber goalie as opposed to telling us Rangers fans that we were completely wrong about what we watched for 5 years.

We should also make sure we have it right about the sequence of events. This thread was initially bumped by Avs fans declaring his greatness, and any Rangers fans opinion was declared old news and the Avs management was so much more wise. Are we not allowed to return the favor?
.910, eh?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Very solid regular season. However, the playoffs will decide how the season went.

For reference Grubauer was a Vezina finalist, but was completely slammed by Avs fans after a couple piss poor showings against Vegas in the playoffs.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
A lot of people (including Avs fans) are writing off the Avs because of Landeskog's absence and loss of depth. They went 16-4 last year with Kuemper putting up some of the worst goaltending numbers in history on a Cup champion.

They do lose firepower upfront, but finally have a (relatively) healthy blueline that's the best in the league. And Georgiev has been arguably a top 5 goaltender in the league this season. It will be nice for a goalie to have the ability to steal a game or 2 instead of just playing well enough not to lose.
Just going by his NYR days, he can absolutely steal a game for you. He can also give them away. It looks like he’s had a fine season. I’ll be curious to see how he makes out in the playoffs. Great trade for the Avs. Rangers took a bath in hindsight, but weren’t going to do any better at the time so can’t criticize them. I still don’t miss him in NY. He was one of the more punchable personalities in recent memory.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Just going by his NYR days, he can absolutely steal a game for you. He can also give them away. It looks like he’s had a fine season. I’ll be curious to see how he makes out in the playoffs. Great trade for the Avs. Rangers took a bath in hindsight, but weren’t going to do any better at the time so can’t criticize them. I still don’t miss him in NY. He was one of the more punchable personalities in recent memory.
I mean if tying the league lead in wins in fine, then fine indeed.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Very solid regular season. However, the playoffs will decide how the season went.

For reference Grubauer was a Vezina finalist, but was completely slammed by Avs fans after a couple piss poor showings against Vegas in the playoffs.

Exactly why Kuemper is not on the Avs as he was a mess in the playoffs

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Very surprised he played 62 games this year and maintained such a high level. It's basically doubled his career games played. Shows how youngish goalies are hard to scout.

I now wish we had gotten him instead of kuemper last year, probably still wins the cup handily but only had to pay a couple of lowly 3rds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad