Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Matthew Phillips signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_9118.jpeg

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
He had an awful season for his standards. He was given opportunities with multiple NHL clubs and was largely ineffective. Dude was a healthy scratch for Hershey during their Calder Cup run.

I think he’ll rebound as an ‘elite’ AHL scorer for the Eagles, but he’s clearly not an NHL calibre forward.

Reactions: wetcoast

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Still think he could pop in 10-15G or something if put in the right situation. Not sure Washington was that situation, they're a veteran heavy team that doesn't play with a lot of speed. The Avs open things up and fast break lots so he might find some more success there.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Still think he could pop in 10-15G or something if put in the right situation. Not sure Washington was that situation, they're a veteran heavy team that doesn't play with a lot of speed. The Avs open things up and fast break lots so he might find some more success there.
Not a chance. He was totally ineffective and worthless at the NHL and AHL level for Washington. I don't think a worse player has suited up for us at the NHL level in a long time. At the AHL he was completely disappointing as well. Even when Hershey was hammered with injuries and he was forced into a top six role he spent half of his time laying flat on the ice cause he can't handle any sort of physical play. I wish him the best but he should probably seak employment overseas soon in a less physical league where small offensively gifted players can succeed.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Always wished him the best but you can't teach size and he's basically the size of an eighth grader.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

It's pretty obvious his limit is the AHL. He can still have a pretty good career in the AHL as a prime vet, but he's not elite enough to succeed as a NHL player.

His dream NHL scenario would be the Desharnais scenario where he joins a team with absolutely no C depth so he gets elite wingers (or a team with no RW depth for the same result).

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
He was vanilla soft in Pittsburgh.
Just awful, nothing about his game was great to watch and worth making a waiver claim for that the team shouldn't have tried from WBS. Just goes to show how idiotic Sullivan truly is and how dumb Kindergarten Kyle is in thinking Sullivan's idea's are brilliant.

Maybe the Avs figure out how to use him better than Flames, Pens, and Caps did because he is a dime a dozen player.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Hope you’re right, he’s an easy guy to root for. Has to be the smallest player in the league.

May not end up being an NHL player but I won’t forget that first game against Calgary, pretty much a Disney script come to life.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad