Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Logan O'Connor signs extension with the Avalanche (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well, ok. AAV is fine but it does cost flexibility if he tails off at all. Risk we gotta take I guess.

Its a 500k discount for first 3 years and maybe a 500k overpay in the last 3 years. It works in the cap structure due to cap going up. But its obviously not the perfect team friendly deal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
PlayerHeadshot
logan-oconnor-15179.png

Eyes of a champion…

Reactions: tucker3434

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He’s a GREAT third liner. Our #1 PK forward. Has improved offensively every single season. Was absolutely missed in the playoffs. I think he could pot 20 goals if he stays healthy this year to along with the speedy, tenacious defensive play.

Glad to have him locked in - we shall see what the AAV is but I’m gonna guess he traded a bit off the top for term…though he may get more than people who aren’t familiar with him expect.
He's awesome and I love these of type deals

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know it’s just semantics but I feel like classifying LOC as a bottom six forward is a bit of a slight even if technically it’s true.

He was playing 15 minutes a night last season including over 12 and a half minutes at even strength and leading the team in PK minutes.

He’s a third liner with a bullet. He plays more ES hockey than more than a few guys that people would casually say are “middle six/top six forwards”.

This is not a guy who spends time on a 4th line scrub line getting paid $2.5 million AAV. This is an important top-9 player for the Avs.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here I was feeling bad about the Leafs' David Kampf contract. This is a carbon copy, except longer. I don't think that's a good thing.

Aside from both being top PKers, they aren’t that similar under the hood. LOC is far faster and more tenacious and actually a really good at shot generation and puck possession. There’s legit two-way creation with him. His basic numbers have improved every year and are clearly a step above Kampf’s at this point as well.

They most certainly are not “carbon copy players”.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Big fan of LOC, good Calgary kid honest player gritty worker blah blah blah

It's a nice AAV for him because he does a lot real well but going 6 years to get it seems a little risky. Guys who can't get by on talent and have to rely on their work ethic wash out of this league sometimes. Hard to keep that same tenacity when you've got good money coming in for the foreseeable future.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Big fan of LOC, good Calgary kid honest player gritty worker blah blah blah

It's a nice AAV for him because he does a lot real well but going 6 years to get it seems a little risky. Guys who can't get by on talent and have to rely on their work ethic wash out of this league sometimes. Hard to keep that same tenacity when you've got good money coming in for the foreseeable future.
Avs managment and fans really don't care what happens beyond the next 3-4 years. We won't be competing after that, and it'll just be Pittsburgh mode where most guys ride off into the sunset while we retool. It's all about the next 2-3 years.

Also LOC won't get 'washed out' of the league. He's one of the best bottom 6 players in the league. His wheels may go, and his brand of play may lead to more injuries, but he's not some talentless try hard like PEB (and he's still in the league at 39)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Because they have and it usually means you have no prospects, you are grasping at your contending window, and your about to completely bottom out because you are resorting to giving bottom six players that should be easily interchangeable six year deals.

And I love what LOC brings as a player.

Major exception: William Carrier and the Hurricanes. They notoriously have a ton of forward prospects but still think Carrier is valuable enough to give a 6x$2M AAV to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad