Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Oliver Kylington signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.05M)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Avs will clearly be aiming to add a physical RHD to the mix at the trade deadline to complement Kylington/Brannstrom.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD
Brannstrom - DeHaan

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
David Savard will be the #1 target for every team looking for this highly sought after TDL piece; but I wonder about the possibility of getting Jusin Barron back from Habs if Mailloux/Reinbacher take big leaps in their development and he is lost in the shuffle.
How would Barron solve any of our problems? I could see Savard being a target of the Av's come deadline. Won't discuss price here as it won't end well lol

Reactions: HockeyScotty

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Steal of the offseason right here. Kylington looked like a top 4 guy before the big gap and he's still at the age where that's a possibility for the future.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How would Barron solve any of our problems? I could see Savard being a target of the Av's come deadline. Won't discuss price here as it won't end well lol
Yeah the Avs need a proven big bodied RHD who can PK, not someone like Barron who is comparable soft and unproven.

Reactions: Mac Attack

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
At that AAV, I suspect there were 25+ other teams that would have signed this deal. Good get for the Avs. Low risk with decent upside. This guy moves his feet well, has decent size and skills set.

Glad to see my Avs can still draw in UFA. Can still sign some of those deals that make Canadian and the other type teams on most NTCs jealous.

In the best case scenario, Kylington and/or Branstom plays well enough to make Girard expendable in a trade for forward help while the Avs wait 2 more years for Gulyayev to come over from the KHL and slot into the Avs top 4 in 2026.

I'm still scratching my head about Colton and how he's still on the roster. Dude was a odd fit as a 3C that doesn't PK, isn't good defensively and only 51% in the dot. Avs did a nice job filling the 2C hole, but Colton was a whiff at 3C IMO. When I watch Colton play... I don't see a C. I see a guy I'd want at LW forechecking in the corners and fighting for pucks along the boards. Colton has the defensive IQ and puck awareness of a pylon or a cylon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah the Avs need a proven big bodied RHD who can PK, not someone like Barron who is comparable soft and unproven.
The Avs made a bad choice when they used a 1st round pick on Barron.

Then Habs made a bad trade when they took a low 2nd and Barron for Lex.

If the Avs still had Barron, he'd have been in Loveland last season playing behind Sam Malinkski.

Can any fan explain how 63% of the NHL teams are cap complaint at any given time?

I'm just glad my Avs are going to cheap the cap like much of the rest of the NHL.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs made a bad choice when they used a 1st round pick on Barron.

Then Habs made a bad trade when they took a low 2nd and Barron for Lex.

If the Avs still had Barron, he'd have been in Loveland last season playing behind Sam Malinkski.

Can any fan explain how 63% of the NHL teams are cap complaint at any given time?

I'm just glad my Avs are going to cheap the cap like much of the rest of the NHL.
Did you mean to say the Avs are going to « cheat » the cap?

If so, how did you come to that conclusion?
If anything, the Avs have demonstrated over many years they simply don’t do that.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
At that AAV, I suspect there were 25+ other teams that would have signed this deal. Good get for the Avs. Low risk with decent upside. This guy moves his feet well, has decent size and skills set.

Glad to see my Avs can still draw in UFA. Can still sign some of those deals that make Canadian and the other type teams on most NTCs jealous.

In the best case scenario, Kylington and/or Branstom plays well enough to make Girard expendable in a trade for forward help while the Avs wait 2 more years for Gulyayev to come over from the KHL and slot into the Avs top 4 in 2026.

I'm still scratching my head about Colton and how he's still on the roster. Dude was a odd fit as a 3C that doesn't PK, isn't good defensively and only 51% in the dot. Avs did a nice job filling the 2C hole, but Colton was a whiff at 3C IMO. When I watch Colton play... I don't see a C. I see a guy I'd want at LW forechecking in the corners and fighting for pucks along the boards. Colton has the defensive IQ and puck awareness of a pylon or a cylon.
I would really like to see Colton on the wing of the 2nd line with Mittelstadt and Rantanen; think he could thrive there. But the hole at 3C is too big so he is "best of anyone else" for that role until Cal Ritchie is ready.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
David Savard will be the #1 target for every team looking for this highly sought after TDL piece; but I wonder about the possibility of getting Jusin Barron back from Habs if Mailloux/Reinbacher take big leaps in their development and he is lost in the shuffle.

Hard to imagine it being Savard. Hughes will have Seravelli on speed dial so much in order to elevate Savard’s value to the point where, when said and done the Habs will be wanting more than what the Avs are likely to pay. Savard is too obvious.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Classic Eastern Conference take. He's big and mean sure but he's getting old and slow. Footspeed is waning and as a result he takes a lot of penalties, and he's always taken a lot of penalties so that's just going to get worse.

Kylington is one of the best skaters I've watched play for the Flames. The list of players that can keep up with McDavid in a straight line in this league is a short one but he's on it. The Avs are built on speed and transition, I suspect he's going to fit into their system very well.

My thoughts exactly. I’m not comparing the two, but with the way he can skate and the style the Avs play, he could definitely be a Byram-lite if he’s in a healthy place mentally. Colorado is the perfect place for him to reboot his career; I thought he was on the verge of a breakout as a middle pairing but dynamic D before his leave of absence. This *may* end up being the bargain of the offseason and one of the shrewdest moves, and also set Kylington up nicely next summer.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Adam Larsson

I like it. I didn’t realize he’s 31. Was surprised to see that. And he’s younger than Savard. Also, it was interesting to see his current contract is 4.0 AAV while his previous one was 4.2. That downward or somewhat stagnant trajectory is something one can see the Avs being interested in.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Hard to imagine it being Savard. Hughes will have Seravelli on speed dial so much in order to elevate Savard’s value to the point where, when said and done the Habs will be wanting more than what the Avs are likely to pay. Savard is too obvious.
Exactly, and it will be a seller's market for that type of player for them. The next tier is probably: Cody Ceci, Connor Clifton, Justin Holl, Noah Juulsen, Jan Rutta, maybe Matt Benning.

Robert Bortuzzo is still FA and Jacob Tinordi (lefty).

Last edited:

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I like it. I didn’t realize he’s 31. Was surprised to see that. And he’s younger than Savard. Also, it was interesting to see his current contract is 4.0 AAV while his previous one was 4.2. That downward or somewhat stagnant trajectory is something one can see the Avs being interested in.
And all reasons why he would be more expensive in acquisition costs than even Savard if Seattle shops him.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
And all reasons why he would be more expensive in acquisition costs than even Savard if Seattle shops him.

Maybe or maybe not. If Seravelli is carrying water for Hughes again, Savards value might be artificially elevated. Timing is a part of this as well as particular teams who are buyers. Tampa for example has been an especially aggressive over payer. Once teams like that make their move, sellers no longer have as much of a reason to hang on to a player because someone else won the lottery by trading with a team like Tampa.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
My thoughts exactly. I’m not comparing the two, but with the way he can skate and the style the Avs play, he could definitely be a Byram-lite if he’s in a healthy place mentally. Colorado is the perfect place for him to reboot his career; I thought he was on the verge of a breakout as a middle pairing but dynamic D before his leave of absence. This *may* end up being the bargain of the offseason and one of the shrewdest moves, and also set Kylington up nicely next summer.
I really like that Colorado has got two of these "reclamation project" defensmen for cheap in Brännström and Kyllington.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

shoulda kept Newhook

I just barfed in my mouth. Or Jack Johnson... eventually.

Lets hope it's Malinski
Malinksi sucks defensively

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Habs will somehow hustle a team to get another first for Savard. And for some reason they'll also get another first rounder next summer when Monahan gets bought out.

Master class by the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad