Claimed off Waivers: [COL] Avalanche claim G Kaapo Kahkonen off waivers from the Jets

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
To the Avs fans arguing in this thread, I think both things are true.

Goaltending wasn't the main reason they lost in back to back seasons, Nuke and Landy absences were, and to an extent Cale's suspension.

At the same time, even if those guys are in the lineup it's probably the #1 factor preventing them from them going all the way - case in point, Bob vs. Skinner last year & Hill's performance the year before.

What the Avs did with Kuemper is more the anomaly than the rule these days because of the crazy depth they had at other positions (Yes, I remember Osgood and Det), The lineup is thinner now, and I just think that with expansion and the talent level getting diluted, the speed of the game increasing, along with the goalie equipment changes scoring is up and it allows stars to feast. The talent gap between goalies also seems to be widening as we are in a bit of a lull of goaltending talent (10 guys & then 'the rest').

They need to tighten up defensively, first and foremost. When it goes bad it goes real bad. But they also need a guy to make a save when that happens. I hope this move is a signal that management is realizing with the lack of depth they've had since they won the Cup they can't afford to take half measures in goal and need to prioritize the position. I do think we see a move at some point before the playoffs unless Kahkonen really takes off. I'd have my eye on Gustavsson in Minnesota, depending on how he plays this season.

Reactions: andora

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seems like a good claim for Colorado. He's probably at least an upgrade in the short-term, and probably long-term over Annunen.

Still not really sure why Winnipeg chose Comrie over Kahkonen in the first place, but whatever.

I'd imagine familiarity and there is probably a good relationship between Comrie and Hellebuyck. Kahkonen wasn't bad in his small sample size with the Devils; after two years under constant barrage with the Sharks.

Reactions: biturbo19

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This is a good gamble by the Avalanche.

Though they've slipped a bit, Colorado is still one of the better defensive teams in the league, allowing the 7th fewest scoring chances and 11th fewest high-danger scoring chances again last season. They just need someone who won't kill them in net.

Which is what Georgiev is doing. His last nine starts dating back to last season have been brutal (5.04 GAA, .845 SV%). Annunen has been really good during the same stretch (2.32 GAA, .919 SV%) and has thrived on not giving up soft goals/making the easy saves. But his sample size is limited and he was an average AHL starter.

Kahkonen was strong with the Devils after getting shelled in San Jose. Colorado has had a lot of success stories in net thanks to Jussi Parkkila, I hope he can work his magic on countryman Kahkonen.
Agreed in the small sample KK was not bad. Although a beer league guy probably wasn't either for us last year!

Honestly if Fitz didn't go and get Allen, KK as Markys backup wound have been fine by me.

He played a calm game seemed to keep it in front of him, no flopping etc, compact abd a big man. Hope he does well for Avs

Reactions: Perratrooper

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Cap is a thing...

They won with meh goaltending proving its not required. You can also argue their last two seasons couldve went deeper if a certain someone didnt have a drug problem. Goaltending wasnt the issue.

Goaltending wasnt their issues with either of their losses against the kraken nor the Stars. It was depth scoring, which you can argue quite easily Landeskog and Nuke wouldve brought more than enough to get by those two series. You can stretch it to they could be going for their 4th Cup in a row right now.
Kuemper is a good goalie, unlike 4giev

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I've seen a fair bit of this guy over the years in the Pacific division. Never much liked him.

Technique is good, big frame... he just doesn't seem to have the compete. I've seen him just casually watching loose pucks in his crease while letting the play unfold. Dom Hasek would have tossed his stick and pounced on it with his blocker.

He's a "just happy to be here" kind of guy to me.

Reactions: hn777

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I think a lot of Avs fans know/knew that Annunen would never be an NHL guy. All hoping, but

Theyre both in that middle to bottom tier of starters.
Kuemper PRE eye injury was a much better goalie than Georgiev. Now they are probably about the same.

Reactions: shadow1

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think a lot of Avs fans know/knew that Annunen would never be an NHL guy. All hoping, but

Theyre both in that middle to bottom tier of starters.

I think a lot of Avs fans would like to see Annunen play more this season than a single period at the end of a game where the wheels had already come off before writing him off. He's still got a very good chance of outplaying Georgiev.

And my hopes are more focused on Nabokov going forward. If his success in the KHL translates, he'll be the goalie of the future in Denver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad