Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Mikkel Boedker for Alex Tanguay, Conner Bleackley, and Kyle Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bleackey and Wood will never become as good as Boedker is respectively. Now together, Wood could develop into something decent and Bleackley could still be a solid bottom 6er, but both are far from being absolute things. Bleackley, though has improved, but not a big amount from when he was a 16 year old (which is why Avs were never going to sign him), while Wood could become Colby Cohen 2.0 due to skating issues (which both absolute have).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well, they gave up 2 prospects, one of which they were definitively not going to sign (who's also not likely getting signed by his new team--that should say something), and one that they were more vague about signing. It's the comments like "they obviously don't care about development" or the "they obviously don't have the same plan..." that are questionable. Basically, if it's "wrong" for people to say we gave up nothing (of which I agree), it's just as "wrong" to act like we mortgaged the future for a rental--which we didn't. As it stands, the statistical probability for having the best player in the trade is in the Avs' favor.

There's something wrong with punting basically an entire developmental class. But that's mostly independent of this deal, the Wood part could be what Arizona asked for, but the philosophy was established outside of it. So no, it's not fair to draw grand conclusions based on this one deal but I do feel like there are indications of something larger (I already went on about in another thread, I'll spare everyone).

If they can manage some way to keep Boedker then sure the outlook and result of this move changes my perception. Or they could have signed him as a FA, who knows. Being here already helps our cause though, I can see that.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
There's something wrong with punting basically an entire developmental class. But that's mostly independent of this deal, the Wood part could be what Arizona asked for, but the philosophy was established outside of it. So no, it's not fair to draw grand conclusions based on this one deal but I do feel like there are indications of something larger (I already went on about in another thread, I'll spare everyone).

If they can manage some way to keep Boedker then sure the outlook and result of this move changes my perception. Or they could have signed him as a FA, who knows. Being here already helps our cause though, I can see that.

Too me, the loss of Wood was a bit of a sour spot but in the end, I think if we manage to sign Boedker to a decent contract then I believe we'll have come out with the better part of the deal. Tangs was doing terrible for us and Bleackley just didn't have a future with this team unfortunately. I've been a fan of Boedker since he was drafted and am really happy seeing him here but the success of this trade rests on him resigning at a decent term and cap hit. If we end up losing him to FA or signing him to some cap hit over 6.0 AAV, then Arizona smacked us.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think people are arguing two different things. On one side you have people that didn't want to trade assets for rentals. On the other side you have people who see the benefits of putting a good team on the ice now and gaining the experience. How good each of the players are and which side received better players in this trade is really irrelevant to the argument. I think it was a good trade value wise, it's the underlying philosophy behind the trade that is debatable.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Absolutely unsustainable. I love Tangs, but he's out of gas. The trade flipped his motorcycle to the reserve tank, but there's no gas station in his future.

pretty much though he's actually reportedly been surprisingly solid for them. don't care how he does for them, we saw how he did here all season until the trade. and it wasn't pretty.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Absolutely unsustainable. I love Tangs, but he's out of gas. The trade flipped his motorcycle to the reserve tank, but there's no gas station in his future.

I agree, Boedker in a long run is absolutely the better option just not sure if Avs will be able to resign him

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I agree, I'm happy that Tangs is doing well but he wasn't doing this team any favours. I hope he plays well enough down the stretch that a contender picks him up for some scoring depth on the cheap (WSH, CHI, LA).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think that Tangs can buy one more season by playing a different system in a different team. He was no longer able to keep up with "rushing the play" like we do here (was constantly offside), but that doesn't mean that he can't play in a "keep the puck" based system.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think that Tangs can buy one more season by playing a different system in a different team. He was no longer able to keep up with "rushing the play" like we do here (was constantly offside), but that doesn't mean that he can't play in a "keep the puck" based system.

Tangs was born offsides.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
There's something wrong with punting basically an entire developmental class.

How is trading 2 of 6 punting an entire draft class? I get that they were the top 2 picks. But we still have the rest of them, do we not? I know only Nantel has signed an ELC, but we have time for the others...two more years for Lindholm and Pajpach. I expect Pepin to be signed...but I have no evidence to back that up, has there been any real indication either way?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think people are arguing two different things. On one side you have people that didn't want to trade assets for rentals. On the other side you have people who see the benefits of putting a good team on the ice now and gaining the experience. How good each of the players are and which side received better players in this trade is really irrelevant to the argument. I think it was a good trade value wise, it's the underlying philosophy behind the trade that is debatable.

Some of us fall in the middle. I didn't mind moving minor pieces for rentals; i.e. I was for the Matthias trade. But moving one of our top-4 prospects + a 2nd wasn't moving minor pieces.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Some of us fall in the middle. I didn't mind moving minor pieces for rentals; i.e. I was for the Matthias trade. But moving one of our top-4 prospects + a 2nd wasn't moving minor pieces.

I think the divide is mainly due to Sakic saying Boedker is a rental, as well as how each person values the prospects. Some people see Wood as a B+ prospect, others see him as a C prospect. Same goes with Bleakley.

Personally, I liked the trade when it happened, and I really like it now. It's so refreshing seeing a top 6 that isn't burdened by over-the-hill vets or bottom 6 grinders. Boedker has helped us with the playoffs push immensely, and I think it really helps going into this offseason. Boedker seems to really like the Avs, and while he won't give a huge discount, I can see him willing to leave a tiny bit on the table to stay with the Avs if we go that direction.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

Yeah? It was a low second and I'm not sure Wood was a top 4 prospect.... but either way no one on either side should have to eat crow depending on the success of the new players. The argument is whether or not you think they should have traded assets for rentals at this point in time. Some do some don't. I understand both sides but definitely fall on the side of liking the moves.

The hyperbole that get thrown around is the aggravating part, but I guess that is the way of the internets.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah? It was a low second and I'm not sure Wood was a top 4 prospect.... but either way no one on either side should have to eat crow depending on the success of the new players. The argument is whether or not you think they should have traded assets for rentals at this point in time. Some do some don't. I understand both sides but definitely fall on the side of liking the moves.

The hyperbole that get thrown around is the aggravating part, but I guess that is the way of the internets.

This is pretty much all I've been trying to say since this thread got bumped last night. Boedker's play for these ~20 games isn't going to negate the reasons why those of us that didn't like this trade, didn't like it. Not trying to convert anyone, just trying to explain why there's no crow for us to eat.

I think the divide is mainly due to Sakic saying Boedker is a rental, as well as how each person values the prospects. Some people see Wood as a B+ prospect, others see him as a C prospect. Same goes with Bleakley.

Personally, I liked the trade when it happened, and I really like it now. It's so refreshing seeing a top 6 that isn't burdened by over-the-hill vets or bottom 6 grinders. Boedker has helped us with the playoffs push immensely, and I think it really helps going into this offseason. Boedker seems to really like the Avs, and while he won't give a huge discount, I can see him willing to leave a tiny bit on the table to stay with the Avs if we go that direction.

I agree with most of what you're saying. Not happy with the price because I do rate Wood; but Boedker's playing as well as I had hoped. If he-who-shall-not-be-named decides to stay in the KHL and we can sign Boeds for ~soda money, I'd like him to stick around.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How is trading 2 of 6 punting an entire draft class? I get that they were the top 2 picks. But we still have the rest of them, do we not? I know only Nantel has signed an ELC, but we have time for the others...two more years for Lindholm and Pajpach. I expect Pepin to be signed...but I have no evidence to back that up, has there been any real indication either way?

The fact that you are arguing for Lindholm, Pajpach and Pepin should say it all. Lindholm only has until this year I believe because he was older when he was drafted. Magyar is a no, the rest are late round picks and long shots to get signed at best. If I had to bet I'd lean no on Pepin getting signed too.

I agree neither side should eat crow. He's a good player, he's doing what he was brought here to do. I think he's a bit of a streaky player but when Boedker is on he's real good. We'll see what this all means for the future.

I just don't like it when people say we gave up nothing. Doesn't mean y'all can't like the trade or think it was worthwhile but it wasn't nothing.

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
This is pretty much all I've been trying to say since this thread got bumped last night. Boedker's play for these ~20 games isn't going to negate the reasons why those of us that didn't like this trade, didn't like it. Not trying to convert anyone, just trying to explain why there's no crow for us to eat.

Whoever said that doesn't really get the argument. IMO at least.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The fact that you are arguing for Lindholm, Pajpach and Pepin should say it all. Lindholm only has until this year I believe because he was older when he was drafted. Magyar is a no, the rest are late round picks and long shots to get signed at best. If I had to bet I'd lean no on Pepin getting signed too.

I agree neither side should eat crow. He's a good player, he's doing what he was brought here to do. I think he's a bit of a streaky player but when Boedker is on he's real good. We'll see what this all means for the future.

I just don't like it when people say we gave up nothing. Doesn't mean y'all can't like the trade or think it was worthwhile but it wasn't nothing.

For sure definitely not nothing. Losing Wood hurts, and short of at least two rounds in the playoffs, and/or a re-signing, it makes the deal a loss. IMO, YMMV.

But I read your post as we have nothing left of that year of the draft, when we have signed the longest shot from it, still may sign the big winger, and have a couple still in Europe. Not sure on how long for Lindholm...it is age, or years since draft? I read years, but that could be wrong.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Are you saying Wood was one of our top-4 best prospects? Or that he has top-4 potential?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If the Avs had Boedker and were 80% sure they couldn't re-sign him but were in the same place regarding the playoff hunt,

would people have been happy if they traded him for #53+Wood+Tanguay (assuming his play was the same as it was for us pre-trade)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad