Value of: Cody Glass offer sheet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Would you take the Canucks 11th over all pick for him ? No offer sheet, just trade
I probably would. I don't think most Preds fans would. But I'm also pretty sure that Trotz wouldn't... our centers are Glass, Parssinen, Novak, and Sissons (and maybe Johansen). That's not exactly an area of proven strength to deal from.

11th is really close and I feel like we'd have an excellent chance of getting a player who turns out to be better than Glass with that pick. Just... that player wouldn't play for us until several years from now. Whereas I suspect the Preds would prefer the more immediate contribution of Glass. But it's close!
:thumbu:

Reactions: Brookbank

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I didn't know that everyone was so sure that Cody Glass is officially a full time NHL player worthy of 4 year 1 way deals.

Would you take the Canucks 11th over all pick for him ? No offer sheet, just trade

Yeah, his last two years have been really good in the AHL and NHL. He'll be a top 6 center for us, and most likely top out at a 50-60 point no.2 center.

Having said that, I'd probably trade him for the 11th. Walking away from the draft with 11, 15 and 24 would do a lot to build up our team.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Damn rights it is. It is a cap hell league. Why wouldn't he sign that ?

You have so much confidence in what you think he's worth that you wrote down exactly nothing.
He wouldn't sign a long term deal for that much. It's just a bad move.

If he's going to sign for 1.5 (which is complete fantasy in and of itself), it would be a 1-2 year bridge deal so he can cash in after establishing himself more.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He wouldn't sign a long term deal for that much. It's just a bad move.

If he's going to sign for 1.5 (which is complete fantasy in and of itself), it would be a 1-2 year bridge deal so he can cash in after establishing himself more.
$1.5M is just too low, full stop. Yakov Trenin got $1.7M from us with arbitration, and even that seemed a little low for what he does. But, as much as I love Trenin, he's a physical bottom-6 guy. Glass as a projected top-6 center got 32 points in his first "real season", even while not having consistent utilization for a few months. There is simply No Way Glass can get less than $2M IMO. His agent would have to be hypnotized by Trotz for that to transpire. I'm all for Trotz flashing hypnotic powers. But I wouldn't go betting on it.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I probably would. I don't think most Preds fans would. But I'm also pretty sure that Trotz wouldn't... our centers are Glass, Parssinen, Novak, and Sissons (and maybe Johansen). That's not exactly an area of proven strength to deal from.

11th is really close and I feel like we'd have an excellent chance of getting a player who turns out to be better than Glass with that pick. Just... that player wouldn't play for us until several years from now. Whereas I suspect the Preds would prefer the more immediate contribution of Glass. But it's close!
:thumbu:
Some Canucks fans probably would hate this deal because they love the draft. But I cant see how the Canucks would get a better roster player than a young center like Glass.

I bet Canucks management is shopping the pick so we'll see.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
You want a player you make an ugly 1 year offer like Carolina did with KK.

1 year 4.1m. 2nd round compensation.
I think Nashville matches that. What do they need a 2nd round pick or 1-2 million in cap space for? They probably want to sign him to a stupid deal but a 2.75m x 2 bridge seems to make the most sense to me and that offer sheet isn't outrageously more than that.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Glass was pretty unreal down the stretch for us, no interest in moving him. He's very likely going to be starting as the 1C next year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Damn rights it is. It is a cap hell league. Why wouldn't he sign that ?

You have so much confidence in what you think he's worth that you wrote down exactly nothing.
There is no way he signs an offersheeet fir that low money which locks him out of arbitration. After next year if he improves on those numbers he can easily get $3M+ in arbitration

Reactions: Forge and Kaizen

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
$1.5M is just too low, full stop. Yakov Trenin got $1.7M from us with arbitration, and even that seemed a little low for what he does. But, as much as I love Trenin, he's a physical bottom-6 guy. Glass as a projected top-6 center got 32 points in his first "real season", even while not having consistent utilization for a few months. There is simply No Way Glass can get less than $2M IMO. His agent would have to be hypnotized by Trotz for that to transpire. I'm all for Trotz flashing hypnotic powers. But I wouldn't go betting on it.
I absolutely agree with that. That's why I described it as complete fantasy in it's own.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Some Canucks fans probably would hate this deal because they love the draft. But I cant see how the Canucks would get a better roster player than a young center like Glass.

I bet Canucks management is shopping the pick so we'll see.
I'd agree with Porter, that's kind of that point that you are looking for as far as moving him goes. I think it would really come down to who was available and if Trotz just really wanted whoever that is.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Glass was almost busting not long ago. And was traded by his drafted team.
I don't know if he "was busting" vs. a team was rushing him without proper development? :dunno:

Preds gave him a whole year in the minors to get re-oriented. He did well. Then we brought him up this past season and mostly "worked him in slowly". Some players need a somewhat gentler hand with their development. To me, it's more an indictment of how Vegas used him than anything that reflects on the player? :dunno:

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
And since being traded he's improved a lot and is a top 6 center for us, maybe Vegas wasn't the best place for him to be developed. A contract like that would be a steal even if he doesn't improve more.
For all the praise heaped on Vegas management, they have to take the L on trading Glass. Their 6th oa pick

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Glass was almost busting not long ago. And was traded by his drafted team.

"Almost busting" but is now trending upwards and who gives a f*** if he was traded by his drafting team, teams give to get, it's not a indictment on him and besides I bet Vegas would like a mulligan on the trade now.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Wait you keep thinking he’s not worth much salary because he just had a breakout year yet you’re willing to trade the 11th overall pick for him?

The math ain’t mathing!
I am not doing cartwheels over an 11th oa pick. You can if you want but im not

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I am not doing cartwheels over an 11th oa pick. You can if you want but im not
Jim Benning is that you?

It has nothing to do with how good the 11th overall pick could be. 1.5M is 4th line money. So you’re telling everyone glass is a 4th line level player. Then you go on the other end of the spectrum and are willing to trade the 11th overall pick for him. Recent history shows that gets you a Kirby dach/Alex debrincat level player.

Needless to say you need to go back to the drawing board. Every single person here has told you Nashville will literally buy you Christmas gifts for the rest of your life if you somehow coerced Glass into signing that deal. From there you double down by at the same time saying he’s worth 4th line money but worth a top 6 player return in trade value.

Make it make sense

Both of these evaluations are off and Glass’s value is in the middle of the 2

If you’re trying to get him to sign a 4 year deal it likely has to be 3M-4M x 4 to get him to forgo future potential earnings for a semi long term commitment. Obviously no team is going to do that. Glass has no reason to sign a cheap 4 year commitment, teams don’t have a reason to hand out 2nd line player salary to an unproven young player. This is why no player of his age and pedigree signs commitments longer than 2 years. He likely gets between 2-3M x 1-2 years

He also isn’t worth the 11th overall pick. It may take a huge overpayment like that to get Nashville to part with him, as they have no reason to part with a partially cost controlled potential top 6C. Doesn’t mean that’s his actual trade value. His value is likely closer to a late 1st early 2nd like Sam bennetts was

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't know if he "was busting" vs. a team was rushing him without proper development? :dunno:

Preds gave him a whole year in the minors to get re-oriented. He did well. Then we brought him up this past season and mostly "worked him in slowly". Some players need a somewhat gentler hand with their development. To me, it's more an indictment of how Vegas used him than anything that reflects on the player? :dunno:
You also got to include all his battles early on with injuries while in Vegas. He was definitely worth predators legend Nolan Patrick though.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad