Value of: Cody Glass offer sheet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
14 goals, 21 assists in 72 games. He was noticeable in every shift when I seen him play. I think he's going to carve out an NHL career.

He signed a 1 year 875k deal last offseason.

1.5 million per for 4 years ?

Reactions: Wattsburgh

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
If he's showing improvement why not sign a 1 or 2 year deal to prove yourself and cash in higher than that

Reactions: Morrison

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
If you're sending an offersheet its a 1 or 2 year 2.146M minimum to make Nashville consider not matching. Even then it likely will have to be higher to make Nashville take the 2nd and decline matching.

also why on earth would Glass sign a 4 year 1.5M deal? Nashville easily matches that and sends you a season tickets as a thank you

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Cody Glass is in a situation similar to Morgan Frost. Two 24 year old players who needed to start producing or be banished to the AHL for good.. It won't surprise me if Glass gets a 2 year/$3.5 million deal to see if he can sustain and increase his production. I think he'll outplay the worth of his deal.

Reactions: randywoodsghost

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I honestly don't see a scenario where Nashville does not match a Glass offer sheet unless the OS goes into 1st rounder as compensation territory AND it's from a team that is no lock to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Chainshot

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Glass is a good young player, and if another team somehow got him to sign such a team-friendly deal as $6M spread over four years, the Predators would match that in a heartbeat.

These offer sheets only work when you give the team pause. Nashville would not have a problem committing to Glass for four years at such a low AAV as $1.5M. That's a favor to Nashville.

Why his agent would ever let him sell himself short like that, though, is a mystery.

Reactions: Habsrule

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
:huh: We are already projecting $2.5M AAV or a little more on a bridge contract. And the Preds have like $10M in Cap space so are not exactly susceptible to being outbid at any sane number.

Glass showed he belonged in the NHL last season. I’m not sure anybody should be so confident in his upside that they should make some insane bid on him. I hope he takes another step next season with a regular top line role. But I would be pleasantly surprised if he becomes more than a sort of 50-60pt soft 2nd center. Not that that’s so bad or anything. Just don’t know why anybody would go too hard after that. Anyway, that’s why a bridge deal fits. See where he gets to in 2 more years. Maybe then he’ll be worth trying to poach? :dunno:

Reactions: Armourboy

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Because if he gets another 1-2 year deal, and gets injured and/or just has an off year , he could be back on the 2 way tread mill and in the AHL.
When do players, especially u25 ever sign long term bridge deals at low salaries? He already is worth at least 1.75M on a 1 year deal

Your what ifs mean nothing, what if he explodes and hits his potential next year? he could become a 5M player and lose out on over 300% salary yearly.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
When do players, especially u25 ever sign long term bridge deals at low salaries? He already is worth at least 1.75M on a 1 year deal

Your what ifs mean nothing, what if he explodes and hits his potential next year? he could become a 5M player and lose out on over 300% salary yearly.
There is a reason why he signed a 1 year 875k deal last year. And was traded by the team that drafted him. He was a big question mark and wasn't showing NHL qualities until this one year.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
He signs that why?

it’s not thankfully matched why not?

and this is worth a thread?

It's almost as if every thread doesn't have to be "BeAGM Mode" unrealistic and involve every star player or stud propect a team has to be "worth a thread".

Weird? Role players and middle 6 guys are worth talking about? How novel a thought in a team sport

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
There is a reason why he signed a 1 year 875k deal last year. And was traded by the team that drafted him. He was a big question mark and wasn't showing NHL qualities until this one year.
it's like you're making my point for me! key words are 1 year deal. I'm sure if he was willing, the team would have loved to give him a 4 year 875k deal. Again it makes no sense on the players end to take a semi long term deal on low salary offers.

Based off your logic he shouldn't have taken the risk by signing only a 1 yr 875k deal instead of a 4 year deak since he was still an AHL player before last year. He was being offered a guaranteed 875k. He should have taken a long term deal instead of betting on himself and risking an injury and/or continuing down the same trajectory or worse and becoming a 100k ahl contract player if that

Good thing you're not a player agent. You'd quickly be out of business as all your clients would fire you for advising them to take the low salary guaranteed term deals over betting on themselves to easily out earn the entire deal in 1 more year. Glass could stagnate and never develop any further after this season and every year for the next 4 years he would get a raise over 1.5M on 1 year deals because even decent 4C is worth 1.5M and with the cap increasing significantly in the coming years, salaries will rise.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brookbank

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't really understand the thought process. Preds can easily match anything remotely reasonable. They have $15M+ projected this coming season, $35M+ the season after, and relatively few major contracts to sign during that time (and THEN the $8M monsters for Johansen and Duchene start coming off).

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think for the Preds it's more about the draft pick compensation than the $$$. We'll have a little over $10M in Cap space with everybody except Glass signed.

At minimum you have to make an offer that gets us a 1st round pick, so you have to cross the $4,290,126 AAV threshold.

We can afford that easily on the $$$ side, but to me I'd certainly consider taking a 1st round pick instead of Glass if it was from a team where I could reasonably project that their first would be a top-10 pick. There are only 17 teams in the league who even have their picks to meet that threshold, and many of them would be too scared to risk that their pick could be a top-3 pick. It would have to be Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo, or New Jersey out of those 17 teams who could really take the chance, but then, I would reject their picks as not being enough and just match the $$$.

And you really don't get any further in terms of tempting us to take the picks in the next tier of compensation, since Nashville already has lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks stacked up. The next tier from $6.4-$8.58M is the one where I'd match if it was a 1-year offer, but reject if it had term... I wouldn't gamble on Glass at those numbers for 4 or 5 years, sorry Cody. I would be disappointed at the meagre draft pick compensation, but c'est la vie.

Once you get to 2 1st round picks at $8,580,251, then I will take the compensation for sure, from any team, even on a 1-year offer sheet. Two 1sts for Glass would be a steal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What an offer sheet enticement. 1.5 million over 4 years. "Your move, Poile. Your move."

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Nashville would be ecstatic if Glass signed a 4x $1.5m offer sheet.
I didn't know that everyone was so sure that Cody Glass is officially a full time NHL player worthy of 4 year 1 way deals.

I think for the Preds it's more about the draft pick compensation than the $$$. We'll have a little over $10M in Cap space with everybody except Glass signed.

At minimum you have to make an offer that gets us a 1st round pick, so you have to cross the $4,290,126 AAV threshold.

We can afford that easily on the $$$ side, but to me I'd certainly consider taking a 1st round pick instead of Glass if it was from a team where I could reasonably project that their first would be a top-10 pick. There are only 17 teams in the league who even have their picks to meet that threshold, and many of them would be too scared to risk that their pick could be a top-3 pick. It would have to be Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo, or New Jersey out of those 17 teams who could really take the chance, but then, I would reject their picks as not being enough and just match the $$$.

And you really don't get any further in terms of tempting us to take the picks in the next tier of compensation, since Nashville already has lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks stacked up. The next tier from $6.4-$8.58M is the one where I'd match if it was a 1-year offer, but reject if it had term... I wouldn't gamble on Glass at those numbers for 4 or 5 years, sorry Cody. I would be disappointed at the meagre draft pick compensation, but c'est la vie.

Once you get to 2 1st round picks at $8,580,251, then I will take the compensation for sure, from any team, even on a 1-year offer sheet. Two 1sts for Glass would be a steal.
Would you take the Canucks 11th over all pick for him ? No offer sheet, just trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad