Value of: Code Red in NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
Defensive anarchy.

NCAA-level goaltending.

Utter lack of toughness.

FItz has to do SOMETHING or simply write off the season.

EVEN if -- as is likely now that he has let these glaring problems fester -- he has to pay through the nose without any leverage.

What now?

• Haha
Reactions: AirGut

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
IDK, do you have a concrete proposal or ask other than better goaltending?

What does defensive anarchy mean? Need guys who can clear the crease? play responsible two-way hockey? Something else?

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
In all honesty I think you guys just need a 2 way 3rd liner with some grit and a 4/5D like Zadarov

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Zadorov 50% retained and Markstrom. Markstrom retained 50% for the remainder of his term. We get Mercer and a 2nd. Markstrom is at 3M and Z at 1.8M

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Defensive anarchy.

NCAA-level goaltending.

Utter lack of toughness.

FItz has to do SOMETHING or simply write off the season.

EVEN if -- as is likely now that he has let these glaring problems fester -- he has to pay through the nose without any leverage.

What now?
OK so a code red is a panic trade at American Thanksgiving
What's a code blue? Scorched earth at the trade deadline?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In all honesty I think you guys just need a 2 way 3rd liner with some grit and a 4/5D like Zadarov

It does seem that a guy like Zadorov would be a very useful pickup for the Devils. To try to bandaid that loss of Graves (and Severson to some extent) a little bit. Bringing some more size, physicality, aggressiveness back into the mix.

Optically, it'd be a little bit screwy to let Graves walk, only to end up spending assets on a lesser stopgap like Zaddy. But if the goal is to salvage the season, that might be what it takes. Depending on the cost.

Fitzgerald was in a pretty awkward spot this offseason. There's no way he could've justified that kind of extension for Severson. But you're obviously going to miss a "luxury" #4/5D like that. Especially while also letting go of Graves...who i think Fitz probably misunderestimated the value/importance of quite a bit. Lots of value in his chemistry with Marino and aggressiveness that the remaining D don't really possess.

It's tough when you've got these bluechip young defencemen like Hughes+Nemec coming along. You don't want to lock into other significant contracts that'll block them. But when 38+ solid EV + PK minutes walk out the door over the offseason, you're gonna feel that. Unlikely the kids were ever going to step right in without missing a beat.

But the priority for Fitz this offseason was obviously...adding to the forward group. Paying Meier a boatload despite indications that he was struggling to mesh with the core. And bringing in Toffoli. Obviously gambled on the step back defensively being smaller than it's actually turned out to be.

I'll be really curious to see whether they actually go out shopping for stopgaps, or just let it ride and hope it sorts itself out with time.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Reaves, Zadorov, Hanafin, Tanev and Markstrom as a package, and Perry or Foligno from Chicago.

You're welcome, toughness, defense and goaltending.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It does seem that a guy like Zadorov would be a very useful pickup for the Devils. To try to bandaid that loss of Graves (and Severson to some extent) a little bit. Bringing some more size, physicality, aggressiveness back into the mix.

Optically, it'd be a little bit screwy to let Graves walk, only to end up spending assets on a lesser stopgap like Zaddy. But if the goal is to salvage the season, that might be what it takes. Depending on the cost.

Fitzgerald was in a pretty awkward spot this offseason. There's no way he could've justified that kind of extension for Severson. But you're obviously going to miss a "luxury" #4/5D like that. Especially while also letting go of Graves...who i think Fitz probably misunderestimated the value/importance of quite a bit. Lots of value in his chemistry with Marino and aggressiveness that the remaining D don't really possess.

It's tough when you've got these bluechip young defencemen like Hughes+Nemec coming along. You don't want to lock into other significant contracts that'll block them. But when 38+ solid EV + PK minutes walk out the door over the offseason, you're gonna feel that. Unlikely the kids were ever going to step right in without missing a beat.

But the priority for Fitz this offseason was obviously...adding to the forward group. Paying Meier a boatload despite indications that he was struggling to mesh with the core. And bringing in Toffoli. Obviously gambled on the step back defensively being smaller than it's actually turned out to be.

I'll be really curious to see whether they actually go out shopping for stopgaps, or just let it ride and hope it sorts itself out with time.
Good write up

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
2 of the 5-6 times I’ve watched them, they’ve been pretty bad, but they’ve also been really good in those other games. Look, it happens with young teams. They have ups and downs, and always seem to struggle when they go through injuries.

They just need more reps really, and need to step up better when a player is out. They’ll get it straight. No reason to panic.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
2 of the 5-6 times I’ve watched them, they’ve been pretty bad, but they’ve also been really good in those other games. Look, it happens with young teams. They have ups and downs, and always seem to struggle when they go through injuries.

They just need more reps really, and need to step up better when a player is out. They’ll get it straight. No reason to panic.
Agreed. This is year 2 of the window with a very young core. Maybe that’s what the team needs long term, part of the maturing process. Not all progress is linear. There’s still things to work out, but it’s very early in the process. Hopefully they use this as a lesson.

Reactions: Petes2424
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad