Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We should fire our coach every year. Eventually we'll start collecting 3rd round draft picks.
:sarcasm:

JackTheRipper

Feb 11, 2015
no, it made him the fastest coach to be fired after winning a cup with someone else's scheme :laugh:

This statement is ridiculous. How can you say Blysma employs a "failed" scheme when he has the 4th highest winning percentage in NHL history?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm in wait and see mode right now if I'm Murray.

I'd love Claude if he gets fired. There were also rumblings that Detroit is going to conduct a thorough search of their own and that Blashill is not a slam dunk for the Red Wings job. I'd take either of those cats in a heartbeat over Bylsma.

If Murray has some grand scheme to use Bylsma to get us from here to there in the short term, fine. I don't think that is Murray's intention in hiring him though, if in fact he is hired!

Neither are available. I would take Babcock too but that is not an option.

How about guys that are available?

People who don't like the Blysma hiring don't seem to pony up a suitable replacement.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There is still time to sort out the coaching position. I don't share the TBN hate fetish of most on this board; I don't care about any of that.

I wouldn't consider us being left high and dry if Julien does not become available and Bylsma goes elsewhere in the interim. There are always other options.

The perception would be that they once again failed to act and got burned because of it. That there may be other options is not the issue; they clearly want the best available option, especially where there is no guarantee that a better option will become available--indeed, Blashill is likely being promoted in Detroit and the Julien situation is still murky. (Boston may, in fact, be waiting for Buffalo to fill their vacancy a la the reports last year of what PIT did to WSH/Bylsma.)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Yep. Which is really stupid.

This rule was talked about years ago and the spirit of it was to get compensation for teams poaching your up and coming coaches like Jeff Blashill or potential up and coming GMs like Mike Futa or Jeff Gorton. Personnel that teams didn't want to prevent from advancing in their careers but also didn't want to lose. The pick is supposed to be a reward for a good gesture.

But the actual rule that was implemented is way too broad and teams are taking advantage of it. It's incredibly stupid to have to compensate a team for someone they fired over a year ago. It's basically giving the Penguins a 3rd round pick to compensate them for the salary they paid someone they signed to a contract. A 3rd round pick for $1 Million or whatever Bylsma was paid. But it wasn't Buffalo's fault Pittsburgh signed him to that contract that didn't work out.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
example of the egg shells that Tim Murray walks on.

NOTE: it wouldn't just be TBN but fans as well.

Who cares what fans think? I think waiting right now is a sound option.

I feel no pressure to rush out and sign up Dan Bylsma at all.

I would respect Murray and the team MORE if they actually backed away and had the confidence to go in another direction. I hope to hell they aren't looking for a coach with some name recognition and a Cup on his roster in the wake of the failed Babcock pitch.

Find the best man; I doubt Bylsma is it.

As Tim Murray himself said, if you don't take chances on newcomers or slightly less known names, Mike Babcock never emerges into the league!

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
There is still time to sort out the coaching position. I don't share the TBN hate fetish of most on this board; I don't care about any of that.

I wouldn't consider us being left high and dry if Julien does not become available and Bylsma goes elsewhere in the interim. There are always other options.

*IF* Pitt is asking for compensation then I'd just tell them to stuff it and hire one of the other options. They're a team you can exploit their financial position.

Of course, it's a 3rd round pick. I'm not exactly concerned about the 3rd round and if Blysma is the guy I think should be hired...then get it done.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I'm actually going to be pissed if we have to move our own 3rd rounder for a fired coach. I'll probly get over it by tomorrow, but still.

If I'm GMTM, why not throw an offer sheet on the first person worth it when the Pens are up against the cap because of an aging Malkin/Crosby. I'd love that. Even if it's 2018. karma.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It's Gibby's fault. He's trying too perfect TM and DB's talking points before scheduling the press conference.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Pittsburgh fans just expected so much more because they has Crosby and Malkin. Problem was they had no depth, injuries, inadequate goal tending, and other issues come up. Because of this they preferred to throw all those problems on the coach. Bylsma should get some blame but not all of it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Can't we just trade them one of our goalies instead of a third round draft pick?

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
The perception would be that they once again failed to act and got burned because of it. That there may be other options is not the issue; they clearly want the best available option, especially where there is no guarantee that a better option will become available--indeed, Blashill is likely being promoted in Detroit and the Julien situation is still murky. (Boston may, in fact, be waiting for Buffalo to fill their vacancy a la the reports last year of what PIT did to WSH/Bylsma.)

I'm not sure why Tim Murray should act based on fear of fan perception. Indeed, the issue should entirely be what you say it is not: that there are other options beyond Bylsma.

Of course this assumes that Bylsma is not the best guy out there. If Murray thinks he is, so be it.

Murray has already made, and will continue to make, 1,000 critical decisions that will decide if we emerge where we all hope we are going to in the years ahead. It's his ship to captain. We have to hope he gets most of the decisions right. This next coach hiring is an important one.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I might be conflating two seperate issues, but wasn't the compensation rule a direct response to the exhaustive Sabres GM search?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm curious what the competition was like in the games w/o the studs?
What's Bylsma's record in the regular season vs good/bad teams?

Kind of like how Hitchcock teams dominate weaker competition in the regular season, but in the same season they'll have sub 500 records vs playoff teams. Then they get to the playoffs and consistently get beat...

(im only aware of the record from recent conversation)

Anyone have a link to similar stats?

I would love to see this info too...who wants homework? I have a feeling this phenomenon wouldn't be as apparent as the Blues for any team. Pittsburg might've actually been the opposite...they seemed to play down to the level of the opponent and lose games they were expected to win. If be very interested to see this info.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm actually going to be pissed if we have to move our own 3rd rounder for a fired coach. I'll probly get over it by tomorrow, but still.

If I'm GMTM, why not throw an offer sheet on the first person worth it when the Pens are up against the cap because of an aging Malkin/Crosby. I'd love that. Even if it's 2018. karma.
That would require they knew how to draft. Unless they don't extend Maata sometime this Summer that opportunity may never come.

Although... Beau Bennett is an RFA. I've heard he's a highly touted blue chip prospect who can't miss.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I might be conflating two seperate issues, but wasn't the compensation rule a direct response to the exhaustive Sabres GM search?

It was spearheaded by Ken Holland who basically was sick of training other teams GMs, them leaving, t hen raiding their scouting department without anything to show for it.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Who cares what fans think? I think waiting right now is a sound option.

I feel no pressure to rush out and sign up Dan Bylsma at all.

I would respect Murray and the team MORE if they actually backed away and had the confidence to go in another direction. I hope to hell they aren't looking for a coach with some name recognition and a Cup on his roster in the wake of the failed Babcock pitch.

Find the best man; I doubt Bylsma is it.

As Tim Murray himself said, if you don't take chances on newcomers or slightly less known names, Mike Babcock never emerges into the league!
So are you not a fan then? According to your opening statement your thoughts don't mean anything and you voicing your opinion over an Internet forum was a complete waste of your time. Why does Murray care about your respect when fans don't matter?

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
So are you not a fan then? According to your opening statement your thoughts don't mean anything and you voicing your opinion over an Internet forum was a complete waste of your time. Why does Murray care about your respect when fans don't matter?

Please. I don't have time for this sort of post.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Please. I don't have time for this sort of post.
Then don't post non sense ;)

Post who you feel is a better coaching candidate available right now, not who might become available and explain why you feel he is better than Bylsma or else your posts are just "hate" material for no other reason than you don't like Bylsma.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Why are people so upset over a third round pick? When was the last time a third round pick made an impact on this team?

That's not the point. You can use those third round picks for moving up, in packages, etc. Handing over an asset for basically no reason is ridiculous.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm not sure why Tim Murray should act based on fear of fan perception. Indeed, the issue should entirely be what you say it is not: that there are other options beyond Bylsma.

You brought up the notion of missteps. I simply pointed out that Murray doing exactly what you suggested--i.e., wait and hope--could, and likely would, be perceived as a misstep, as well. Thus, regardless of Murray does here, someone will perceive his actions as a misstep.

All you're arguing--albeit in a convoluted manner at this point--is that you don't like the choice and you would've waited and hoped for Julien/Blashill, and if they didn't pop free it's no big deal because Bylsma isn't very good in your opinion and there would be other choices. I disagree, but that's your opinion.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why are people so upset over a third round pick? When was the last time a third round pick made an impact on this team?

I don't think anyone would've had a problem surrendering a 3rd for Babcock. It's the idea that they have to surrender a pick--any pick--for a guy who got fired that is bothering people, and rightly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad