Coaching is a serious problem.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why? Name 5 worst rosters.
Why should I? The organisation itself made a public estimation of the teams' potential and goals for this season, so I'm going to stick to that.

I was not even going to hold them accountable for "being in the mix", because that's not what I hoped for this season, but a noticeable step forward is a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real Timo

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I’m sure that the fans would be perfectly patient if mgmt had just said the right things…
They actually would be. Canadiens fans listen but of course there’d be a few people losing their shit no matter what management says. The base has been patient for the last few years. Sure we get pissed off but that’s it. Like I said though there’s no need for any major changes imo but some improvements are needed 5v5 it’s pathetic. Let’s hope chemistry comes since half of the team has a hospital as their second home for the last 3 years

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Not sure if it's a coaching the issue or a communication problem between the coaches and the players (or between the players) since post-scrum MSL talked about playing a deep forechecking game and the players not executing. And it's the second post-game scrum where he talks about it.

The weirdest part is that some of the players are clearly frustrated over it. Guhle last game with his complaining about them always starting flat. Savard this post-game.

Well this is confusing I was sure it came from MSL. Sounds like he lost the room or he's encouraging these 2 things;

Who likes forecheckers not checking? They stop 5 feet out and guess the passing lane!? Shit is so lame!

Who likes the d-zone coverage? Sit 5 guys in the slot and apply next to no pressure on the point/walls? Unwatchable.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Until management commits to becoming more aggressive and raising their own expectations, looking at hiring a new coach is the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

We can cross that bridge when we get there, but we are not there.

Welcome to a tear down style of rebuild. Pain and frustration come free of charge.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Know what would go a long way? Our top line not getting routinely outplayed EVERY single night.
Our top line is the only line in the team top 6 atm. It's super easy for other team to play against and it will show all nights. The big problem atm is the 2nd line.

Dach : 0G 1P -2
Newhook : 1G 1P -6
Armia : 0G 2P -4

We are 5 games in and that's the 2nd line production. I mean it's pathetic 35 years old Lars Eller is doing better. I'm not criticizing Dach he's coming back from a serious injury but the other two needs to be better.

But at thee end of the day it's fine we knew it would happen without Laine and Demidov. We simply don't have the depth to make a 2nd line atm and it's fine.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Well, the Habs did trade away two of their more veteran dmen this off-season and didn't bring in any veteran dmen to replace them, so I think some growing pains are to be expected, errrr (checks calendar)... 5 games into the season...

I get that Kovacevic and Harris weren't highly valued around here, but they were pretty steady dmen...

Maybe wait a few more years to set up the guillotine...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Our top line is the only line in the team top 6 atm. It's super easy for other team to play against and it will show all nights. The big problem atm is the 2nd line.

Dach : 0G 1P -2
Newhook : 1G 1P -6
Armia : 0G 2P -4

We are 5 games in and that's the 2nd line production. I mean it's pathetic 35 years old Lars Eller is doing better. I'm not criticizing Dach he's coming back from a serious injury but the other two needs to be better.

But at thee end of the day it's fine we knew it would happen without Laine and Demidov. We simply don't have the depth to make a 2nd line atm and it's fine.
Armia on the second line is a serious problem. A healthy Dach could carry him but…

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
:laugh: Sorry I just spit out my coffee.

It doesn’t matter what they say. At the end of the day the usual suspects will whine no matter what. We’re on game number five and already have a ‘fire the coach’ thread.
Look at last years gdt’s. Majority talk how it’s a rebuild and the tank is on. That’s not impatience. Also quote my whole post for context and not your own benefit this isn’t politics. Clean up your coffee lol

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I really don't understand why is it unreasonable for some to think that coaching is a big part of the problem. Nobody's arguing that this team should be winning the cup or even coming close to contending. But when for 3 years it's absolutely the same dog's breakfast for the opposition in the Habs zone and when team year after year looks like they have no clue what's going on on the ice, why is it unfathomable that coaching is the issue?

Lack of talent may be an excuse for not scoring 3+ goals every game, but there is no excuse for getting pinned in your own end 2 minutes at the time on practically every shift, not being able to make one simple pass, having a ridiculous puck turnover rate, etc. That speaks to positioning, assignments, knowing who's doing what... all of that is on coach. These guys didn't make it into the NHL because they don't know how to pass or skate.
Being unable to complete a tape-to-tape pass isn't a coaching issue. Neither is giving up the puck in every board battle. That has nothing to do with a system; that's a failure to execute. Whether it was inexperience, rust, or just a bad game, last night was as bad as I've seen our guys. I'm not going to dump on MSL for players' lack of hockey fundamentals and, y'know what, I'm not even going to dump on the players. It was a lousy performance... but it happens. Unless Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, the professor and Marie-Anne all forgot how to play, we'll see a different team in a week.

That said, I'm not sold on Marty St-Louis as the coach of the future. He may not be the longterm solution, but right now he's not the problem.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
When MSL was hired the love in began but three years in and this team needs a better coaching staff.

We want to see progression in the players but why not with the coaching staff?

No D zone structure, horribad PP and PK and it ain’t getting better.

If they insist on keeping MSL, they need to hire a veteran assistant.

IMO, it’s time to cut MSL loose and bring in a veteran staff that can teach these guys how to play with and without the puck.
Bof. Team has no top end talent or experience. There’s a reason we only notice Hutson.

Not MSL’s fault Dach can’t complete a single 10 foot pass to save his life this year.

Team needs to get ufa’s asap that can play next year, be happy with Demidov coming up and start playing like men all of them.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Look at last years gdt’s. Majority talk how it’s a rebuild and the tank is on. That’s not impatience. Also quote my whole post for context and not your own benefit this isn’t politics. Clean up your coffee lol
Read this thread, I think the majority are still patient and understand that it’s a rebuild.

But it’ll be the same posters over and over who will complain. It doesn’t matter what mgmt says… they screamed for a rebuild and when it arrives scream for it to be over.

I don’t have an issue with someone saying MSL has to try something different. 32nd in shooting numbers is God awful and we need to do something about that. We haven’t played well so far for sure.

But that’s a whole lot different than the constant bitching we’ve seen from some posters who’ve screamed at him from day one. It’s one thing to say he could do things differently, a whole other thing to ignore the roster and lay everything at the coach’s feet.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Read this thread, I think the majority are still patient and understand that it’s a rebuild.

But it’ll be the same posters over and over who will complain. It doesn’t matter what mgmt says… they screamed for a rebuild and when it arrives scream for it to be over.

I don’t have an issue with someone saying MSL has to try something different. 32nd in shooting numbers is God awful and we need to do something about that. We haven’t played well so far for sure.

But that’s a whole lot different than the constant bitching we’ve seen from some posters who’ve screamed at him from day one. It’s one thing to say he could do things differently, a whole other thing to ignore the roster and lay everything at the coach’s feet.
Boys just need to make tape to tape passes lol they’re all over the map. Something has to change but it doesn’t mean the coaches or trades

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
Yes, let's bring in a coach who will bench our young players for making mistakes and throw tantrums in the locker room for not rispekting da system.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
This is the fan base that overwhelmingly voted for MSL over Rod Brind’Amour this summer

Most of us are far too emotionally invested in mid players and coaches to evaluate the situation rationally.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
MSL is like any other young player on this team, he's still very much learning. KH and Gorton gave the team to a rookie coach so he'll make mistake along the way. I quite clear that he's a fantastic motivational speaker, but he may need help in the X/Os department.

So similar to some of our kids, he need to show this season that he can teach that part of the game better. Having a young team is NOT an excuse. When the entire team look this bad, it's on the coach, when one player, or two are bad, it's on them. So progress should be expected or help is needed.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
The biggest issue for me is the effort/compete level of our team right now. Outside of Guhle, Hutson, Newhook, Heineman, Gallagher and Evans.....it seems the rest of the team is going through the motions. Have some pride and show some heart guys.

In the words of McJesus.....DIG the FACK IN!!!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Boys just need to make tape to tape passes lol they’re all over the map. Something has to change but it doesn’t mean the coaches or trades
Watching Dach muff up simple passes last night was brutal. That’s just not like him and I don’t know what’s wrong (well apart from the long layoff - :) he’s rusty for sure.) He had a couple of chances near the end and made a brilliant play that should’ve been a goal - hopefully that improves.

I don’t know man but the team isn’t executing on simple stuff. We’re only five games in though, I think it’s too soon to panic.

Then again, maybe we’re not as good as I and others thought. That’s entirely possible. Maybe we were just wrong on where we’re at. 32nd in the league in shooting metrics is shockingly bad.

Let’s just give it some time to see. Give games is a really short window. You’ll have many five game stretches across a season with some being good and bad, it doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah, it’s a really bad start. Montie has been amazing and Caufield has been able to light it up, otherwise we’d be 0-5. And you can’t count on goaltending and timely scoring to carry the day long term.

Let’s see where the season’s at 20 games in.

Reactions: Trabdy2

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
While I think it's a bit premature to want Marty gone, I do think it's very difficult to have a staff of entirely new-to-NHL coaching guys and to refuse any veteran presence joining the bench to help. St-Louis has flaws, and while he's a super hard worker who can overcome all kinds of challenges in life, he can't do it all on his own always.

Maybe Robidas needs help too.

Reactions: LaP

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
It's not a coaching problem. It's a talent issue.

We have a bottom 3 forward core right now. It was true last year as well. Once again, our numbers are boosted by D-men scoring. We were 2nd last season in D scoring (after Colorado).
Once again, 3 of the top 6 scorer are d-men.
This won't change until we actually get IMPACTFUL forwards. Hopefully Hage and Demidov. But until then we will remain in lottery position.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not a coaching problem. It's a talent issue.

We have a bottom 3 forward core right now. It was true last year as well. Once again, our numbers are boosted by D-men scoring. We were 2nd last season in D scoring (after Colorado).
Once again, 3 of the top 6 scorer are d-men.
This won't change until we actually get IMPACTFUL forwards. Hopefully Hage and Demidov. But until then we will remain in lottery position.
Dach should help this. But he needs to find his game. He’s a huge piece of the team and we’ve been without him for so long. Without him playing at least decent hockey, we’re going to have a really long year.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Well this is confusing I was sure it came from MSL. Sounds like he lost the room or he's encouraging these 2 things;

Who likes forecheckers not checking? They stop 5 feet out and guess the passing lane!? Shit is so lame!

Who likes the d-zone coverage? Sit 5 guys in the slot and apply next to no pressure on the point/walls? Unwatchable.
Both of those examples are lack of efforts and the dzone sitting with no pressure dates to the Julien/Ducharme era.

Habs are a lazy team who think Hockey is not a blue collar job. Only Gally/Evans/Anderson understand the blue collar job part this season. And Hutson is always cranked at 100% too.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
While I think it's a bit premature to want Marty gone, I do think it's very difficult to have a staff of entirely new-to-NHL coaching guys and to refuse any veteran presence joining the bench to help. St-Louis has flaws, and while he's a super hard worker who can overcome all kinds of challenges in life, he can't do it all on his own always.

Maybe Robidas needs help too.
The unwillingness to bring in a veteran assistant for defensive structure and PK has always struck me as odd, especially after the announcement that the rebuild is entering a new phase.

But then again, these October takes so often look silly. Slafkovsky went from bust to a future superstar last season. Who knows, maybe we're going to gush over how terrific Robidas is come winter.

Reactions: Fenwick McCorsi

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not sure if it's a coaching the issue or a communication problem between the coaches and the players (or between the players) since post-scrum MSL talked about playing a deep forechecking game and the players not executing. And it's the second post-game scrum where he talks about it.

The weirdest part is that some of the players are clearly frustrated over it. Guhle last game with his complaining about them always starting flat. Savard this post-game.
It's more a "we don't have a 2nd line" issue. And while the 3rd line is doing ok it's not doing good enough to compensate for the lack of a 2nd line. The 2nd line scored one goal in 5 games. That's 4th line production. It's also a "the defense is super green" issue. Demidov should partially solve the 2nd line issue in the next two years. As for the defense we will need to re-evaluate once the kids have more experience. We have the 2nd youngest team in the league and it will show most nights. As people can see with Nashville there's no miracle medecine to win a cup. Some fans will tell you there is but UFAs are short term patches and you need to give to receive in a trade.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Dach should help this. But he needs to find his game. He’s a huge piece of the team and we’ve been without him for so long. Without him playing at least decent hockey, we’re going to have a really long year.
He's never hit 40 pts in a season. Injuries suck but we need results before saying he's a decent top 6 player. He's already 23.

Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad