Coaching is a serious problem.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
When MSL was hired the love in began but three years in and this team needs a better coaching staff.

We want to see progression in the players but why not with the coaching staff?

No D zone structure, horribad PP and PK and it ain’t getting better.

If they insist on keeping MSL, they need to hire a veteran assistant.

IMO, it’s time to cut MSL loose and bring in a veteran staff that can teach these guys how to play with and without the puck.

• Haha
Reactions: River Meadow

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Right, lets bring back Therrien, that should fix everything
It’s actually Vigneault’s turn on the carousel now. Then Jacques Martin.

If we’re seriously looking at replacing MSL - and I highly doubt that we are - why not give a shot to a guy like Yannick Jean in the QMJHL?

He’s set the record for most wins all time in the Q so he knows how to work with young players, he’s obviously fluently French (which is of course the main prerequisite), and he’s literally in the Habs back yard.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just thinking outloud, is it feasible to fire a coach during a rebuild? Would Hughes have the guts to do it? It might be illogical on paper but if you think the inexperienced young coach is not infusing the young players the right things, it could do irreparable damages.

Reactions: not quite yoda

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Stupidity. No your coach is a problem. If even Columbus has better centers and d-men, what do you wait?
Dach must return his play, some young guys need time to improve, especially in defense. Now you have three 4th line centers.
Btw, you have the fourth best PK.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Wheres the captain in all of this?

Its easy to blame the coaches and obviously its been a factor like Burrows wanting to quit because north shore was to far from south shore?

But even if you put Vincent, do the players inside the locker room want to do everything they can to win? Is there somebody in that locker room who can get up, look everyone in the eye and talk to them about "De mentol"

Sure get a new coach i agree. Vigneault is the only coach left who hasnt done a comeback.
DOnt think Carbs is ever going to make a return

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
When i said some habs fans wouldn’t be able to handle a rebuild, that’s exactly what i was referencing.
Watching how they play without the puck, are you seriously going to tell me they are well coached?

Rebuild has nothing to do with it. This team is lost in its own end, and it ain’t getting better.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Sorry but the goaltending duel was one where this game could’ve easily been 3-3 or a win. I donMt think it was a question of outcoaching.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
When MSL was hired the love in began but three years in and this team needs a better coaching staff.

IMO, it’s time to cut MSL loose and bring in a veteran staff that can teach these guys how to play with and without the puck.
Rookie coach Marty has made a lot of mistakes. Team can't play a system, it's like players don't understand. no structure for 2 years plus wasted much that time. Basic stuff. Defensemen don't stay between their man and the net. They don't cut the first guy off defending the cycle.

Reactions: mdk

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
MSL is fine with forwards but Armia is on the 2nd line,Newhook should be on the 3rd and Dach returns after missing a full year..This is our 2nd line. We just don't have enough talents but I think that will change next year. My biggest concern with MSL is the defense, our best D is playing on the wrong side ( Ghule ) Baron and Savard are the only RD, it's awful and there's no structures too. I don't like the hate on Xhekaj, trade him to Boston, they will find a way with him and wait to see him become a top 4. We had an amazing D's pipeline when they came in. *La chaise dans la chaise* should be on coaching staffs too.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Marty is fine but he never coached before coming in. Having a vet assistant that brings structure for the defence and also some knowledge of game management (line matchup, etc) would be great.

Marty has the team playing the modern game for the first time ever. It's just not a very good team.
Agreed.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Just thinking outloud, is it feasible to fire a coach during a rebuild? Would Hughes have the guts to do it? It might be illogical on paper but if you think the inexperienced young coach is not infusing the young players the right things, it could do irreparable damages.
I guess they're satisfied with MSL as long as future key players keep developing (Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Hutson, Guhle etc.). After a gloomy decade of Therrien-Julien-Ducharme-Lefebvre wasting almost every rookie, threshold to change head coach is probably high. And it is true that Buffalo wasted their first rebuild when players learned bad habits. I do understand that this team is still thin in talent but they should have pieces to run a respectable power play by now. Tonight it was the same old shit where PP could be considered a success if they got a shot on goal.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
My only problem with MSL is his belief that every player can have great hockey IQ.

They can't. Some players just can't process the game that fast at NHL speeds.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
My only problem with MSL is his belief that every player can have great hockey IQ.

They can't. Some players just can't process the game that fast at NHL speeds.
I think this is the biggest thing he needs to learn. I remember when he was hired, him and Hughes were talking about "teaching" hockey IQ. I think that experiment has failed. It can work for the right players, but not every player will "get it". MSL needs to see that and make the proper adjustments.

Calling for him to be fired now is way too premature. Imo, he had a 5 year window to get the team to a competitive level. I still think he can get them there. On the other hand, another bottom 5 finish this year will definitely put him on the hot seat for next year for sure.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay

Maybe the horribad thing you see is because of horribad team. Just saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad