Coach get fired on (enter date here)

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Our Koala bear coach is a joke and should of been canned at the end of last year along with our GM. There is total lack of urgency from the coach into winning the games now. We can not afford to have any bad start in this competitive league. I am sick of hearing Koala bears comments after every loss. Shut the F up and get your guys motivated to win now and put in a decent game plan. But sorry to say he is not what this teams needs at all and only a idiotic organization can't see that. I feel sorry for Mcdavid that he has an inept dork as a coach and GM who is out to lunch.

Reactions: PulYou

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's the thing I don't get about Todd's approach to this. They bring in two assistants with head coach experience. You'd think Todd would look at this as a sign as "You are on notice. Shape up or we'll ship you out", but nope...same old Todd.

He'll be coaching in the KHL before you know it.

I don't think Gulutzan will be promoted though. Interim, yes. Full time...no.
Even if Gulutzan is only an interim coach, he’s basically the guy for a full season most likely. It doesn’t fill me with a lot of hope. It’s a different dynamic now than it was when we were watching Eakins go through his final death throes. We had hope back then that his replacement could be a difference maker. We don’t have that hope this time. This move should have been made in April when we could have just flushed everyone and had tons of options. We’ve painted ourselves, unnecessarily, into a corner going the route we went. That’s why Chiarelli should be tied to Mclellan now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If that did happen then it makes sense why Friedman was saying this morning that no one (outside of Gretzky) feels safe in the Oilers front office at the moment.

Only problem if Nicholson and Chiarelli are let go then it's the Lowe / MacT show again I would guess.
I mentioned in a different thread I thought Chiarelli looked terrible during his second intermission interview. He looked really stressed out. He reminded me of how Mactavish looked towards the end of his second season as GM. Looked like a guy who knew his days were numbered.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mentioned in a different thread I thought Chiarelli looked terrible during his second intermission interview. He looked really stressed out. He reminded me of how Mactavish looked towards the end of his second season as GM. Looked like a guy who knew his days were numbered.

Yup. Couldn't look Gene in the eye nor look at the camera.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Even if Gulutzan is only an interim coach, he’s basically the guy for a full season most likely. It doesn’t fill me with a lot of hope. It’s a different dynamic now than it was when we were watching Eakins go through his final death throes. We had hope back then that his replacement could be a difference maker. We don’t have that hope this time. This move should have been made in April when we could have just flushed everyone and had tons of options. We’ve painted ourselves, unnecessarily, into a corner going the route we went. That’s why Chiarelli should be tied to Mclellan now.

100% bang on...that is kind of what I fear as well is that it will be Gulutzan's team for the season. How Todd survived I don't know.

I think how Oilers management handles the hiring will be telling. If Gulutzan is the interim for the season, Chiarelli is walking the gallows as the new GM may want his own hire as we've seen before. If they hire someone as the outright new head coach, Chiarelli may have a bit of time yet.

But both hires, on this date have been absolute failures. It's so disheartening.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
100% bang on...that is kind of what I fear as well is that it will be Gulutzan's team for the season. How Todd survived I don't know.

I think how Oilers management handles the hiring will be telling. If Gulutzan is the interim for the season, Chiarelli is walking the gallows as the new GM may want his own hire as we've seen before. If they hire someone as the outright new head coach, Chiarelli may have a bit of time yet.

But both hires, on this date have been absolute failures. It's so disheartening.
and I wonder if Katz is willing to pay people for not working here

he did it with Quinn, Renny, Kruger and Eakins (and Tambo)

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

I agree and it makes me sick to think they might throw away another season with McDavid. I hope something happens in the next few games and they turn it around. The Flyers lost the first 10 games last year and made the playoffs so it's obviously not over yet, it just sucks to start 0-2.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I agree and it makes me sick to think they might throw away another season with McDavid. I hope something happens in the next few games and they turn it around. The Flyers lost the first 10 games last year and made the playoffs so it's obviously not over yet, it just sucks to start 0-2.

At game 10 they were 5-5 last year? Granted they lost 10 straight at one point, but they had a winning record before that slump and jumped out of that slump with a 6 game winning streak.

Could it happen if Edmonton keeps losing as their tough schedule suggests is likely??? Possibly. But it's not likely that a fragile team can bounce back from a terrible start with the history they have here over the past 12 years.

This is all the more reason to dislike this early schedule as it is a beast, but perhaps it's best because it will solve what to do with Todd. If he had been able to navigate these 10 games with a decent record, I think things would have looked positive, but early results suggest it is going to be tough to survive these 10 games.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
My bad, it wasn't at the start of the season. But still, anything is possible. They just need to feel good about themselves and a win tomorrow could do that.

The toughest thing about this schedule is all the East teams early on. They have historically fared better against the West.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

He’s got so many people on the front office payroll that I can’t see any hire coming from outside. This includes both for a GM replacement and, because of the new assistant coach hires, also for the Head Coaching job. In addition to that, all the “extra fat” hanging around makes it less appealing for anybody thinking about coming into the organization. There isn’t much to look forward to with this situation.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think Yawny gets the job, in my mind it's likely one of the only ways you could get him to leave his previous position.

Sort of out of the box thinking, but what if Vieveros was a silent dark horse and was to be the one to take over, as interim.

I would actually be okay with that based on his previous success and if he gets this team playing hockey, he gets the gig full time.

I wonder how the team would respond to a rookie head coach leading them.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Seems like it, especially if the rumblings had some truth behind it that he was going to fire the coaching staff himself shortly into the new calendar year.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Stauffer reported that 'all the big boys' were at practice today, and to take it for what it's worth

The 'big boys' eh? They have 3 ex-GMs, one guy with a restaurant and a burger named after him, 99 and Katz.

I guess if 99 and Katz were there that would mean something. Is that who Stauffer was referring to?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Stauffer reported that 'all the big boys' were at practice today, and to take it for what it's worth

Big day for the liquor stores!

OAkY74lw_400x400.jpg

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think something has to happen soon. You can't sit on your hands another year wasting the talent of McDavid, even though from the looks of things, that is going to happen. Tmac will be the first to go. But what about management? The team is awful and there won't be any magical cure to turn it around with the current product on the ice. Maybe trade deadline time the team can start to be gutted to get some good pieces in return. I don't know. Chiarelli has put whoever will be next in line in a tough spot. lol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sort of out of the box thinking, but what if Vieveros was a silent dark horse and was to be the one to take over, as interim.

I would actually be okay with that based on his previous success and if he gets this team playing hockey, he gets the gig full time.

I wonder how the team would respond to a rookie head coach leading them.
Maybe, interesting thought, maybe he's an associate coach

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan