Post-Game Talk: Cli(e)nched

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The Oilers should give me one of the game stars from last night, or at least some comp tickets for game 3. My wife and I are currently in Vegas, heading up to Canada tomorrow. I wanted to place a bet on the Oilers to win game 7, she got mad and insisted no because she thinks I am a jinx and would solely blame me if the Oilers lost. So I said okay, how about I bet on Vancouver to win? Would you agree to me paying $100 to guarantee an Oilers win? I want the Oilers to win and with your logic I am guaranteeing them to win if I bet Canucks, and if they do lose I at least collect the winning bet. She actually agreed so I put $100 on Vancouver to win, the Oilers won, the $100 is gone and now we are hopeful to go the game 3 or 4. True story!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Went to CP, was not disappointed.

You can smell the salt, fear, envy and disgust.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I like Holloway there as well, and have been a fan of him for a long time. He could become a pretty decent complimentary player on the 2nd line. He isn't a line driver, but with Drai on that line, he doesn't need to be. He does a bunch of things really well, such as speed and forecheck and hit, and has enough skill to not be useless on a scoring line. He doesn't have a LOT of skill though, so we have to expect long stretches of low scoring from him. He likely never scores 20+ in the league, or does it once or twice at most. He seems like a 15-17 goal/year guy, who has lots of other good elements to his game as said above.
We still don't know what the team has in Holloway. He actually reminds me a lot of Hyman in his approach to the game. The two are even the same size. And at each stage of his development to date Holloway has been significantly ahead of Hyman. Of course Hyman is a rare success story so it would be unfair to expect the same level of play out of Holloway as the Oilers are currently seeing from Hyman. But we can hope.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Except you don't know what worthless means because save percentage is literally the percent of saves the goalie made.

I was saying this before Game 6. I was saying this ever since Pickard saved this series...
Yes that is indeed the math you are correct, like every stat it has its flaws though. First goal in the McLeod gaffe, would be nice to have but that’s a tough one. Second one is through a wall of players, he held his ground and all you can do is hope it hits you. Not really his fault the save percentage is what it was last night,

Reactions: McDoused

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
it’s been that way with many other series this year. Really good teams have blown leads, Dallas did it numerous times. It’s more the level of competition, all the teams in the final eight were quality teams, lots of ebbs and flows. What matters is that they calmed down in the most important time, the last three minutes, and held the fort.
When you come right down to it, how much is there to pick between the final 8 teams? All had the potential to go all the way. A salary cap league with unrestricted free agency gives you a degree of parity that never existed before.

Gone are the dynasty days of the Oilers, Islanders, Canadiens and even Tampa. I don't think we'll see much of that in the future.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I wouldn't have been able to stomach a loss to Vancouver in a playoff series. Much like 2 years ago against Calgary. Losing wasn't an option.
Feel the same way. Dallas is a much more complete team with a competent gm and sound drafting. I can stomach a loss to them and don't expect much to be honest.

Vancouver and Calgary fans didn't want them to "hurr durr mcdavid will ask for a trade".

Vancouver fans imo I've come out of this disliking them even more than flames and leaf fans.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Feel the same way. Dallas is a much more complete team with a competent gm and sound drafting. I can stomach a loss to them and don't expect much to be honest.

Vancouver and Calgary fans didn't want them to "hurr durr mcdavid will ask for a trade".

Vancouver fans imo I've come out of this disliking them even more than flames and leaf fans.
I’ve said this before. Vancouver fans are Toronto fans with far less hockey knowledge.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Worst and most arrogant and whiny fanbase on this site. Complained about everything even after winning. I've never seen a fanbase cry about a uncalled penalty as long as they did for Quinn Hughes. They wouldn't drop it.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Worst and most arrogant and whiny fanbase on this site. Complained about everything even after winning. I've never seen a fanbase cry about a uncalled penalty as long as they did for Quinn Hughes. They wouldn't drop it.
Oh are you referring to" that's a 5 minute major!!! "

Guess it's hip and trendy to support the Canucks on a whims notice. They don't even know basic rules.

I’ve said this before. Vancouver fans are Toronto fans with far less hockey knowledge.
Well put. They don't understand simple basics.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Still can't believe they did it, so proud of this team and their amazing effort in games 6 & 7. I thought they were done after game 5. What a f***ing amazing story to get to the final four after being at the bottom of the division. I've been overly skeptical of Knob but he's proving he's an extremely good NHL head coach and the crow is delicious.

To any remaining Nuge haters out there: time to come to the light brothers, those of us who have always believed will welcome you with open arms.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
to be fair at that point they knew they were going to be talking about the oilers for the next 2 weeks so had to give vancouver their final flowers
I made this point earlier in the thread but it only makes sense for the post game talking points. Gazdic was referring to the first intermission, at which point the score was still 0-0 and it was anybody’s game. To not give equal coverage at that point is clear bias but expected

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
he would not have been able to skate puck out. Two Nucks above him. Even the pass out was risky thus him f***ing up on it. Theres one Nuck on VD who had time, and theres two converging on McLeod, there are zero players on Nurse where the puck should've gone. Ultimately though its minutiae. So many plays where our transtiion works that don't get talked about and mcLeod in a lot of those transitions, and McLeod himself would skate out if he thought that was available, he often does. There was potential there for him to be caught inside line. Looks like two other forwards jumped zone.
Sometimes those middle passes aren't going to work, but I'm actually happy we're doing it more rather than throwing every puck off the glass to the other team.

But we need to pick and choose, and I agree that McL was kind of cucked there. Hopefully this play doesnt make us revert back to our usual rim up the boards to nobody breakout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad