Claude Julien - What is the plan with our Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I agree with you. I like the idea that CJ was trying to stick with the same lines to develop chemistry. However, sometimes you just can't force a line to gel.

I hope Julien does some tweaking. I also hope that Julien let's Muller know that his approach on offense and the PP is not working and changes need to be made.

The Habs have the talent and the goals will come...with a few changes.

As for the power play, I think its only a matter of time before Mete ends up on the first unit and the 4 forwards 1 D experiment dies.

I cant tell you how many times on the pp Ive seen Mete sneak in for the backdoor play wide open, but the problem is the only forward we have who would recognize it and actually hit him with the pass is Drouin.

Teams are cheating against us high, because we are stationary down lown.

We need a rover to either generate cross seam chances or open up the top of the ice for Weber....they cant cover both.

Jamison

Mar 24, 2017
Thanks for posting. Always fun to read the fan of an opposing team, that brings smart commentary to the table, without resorting to petty barbs.

I find it interesting how Julien is always associated with the exit of Kessel and Seguin. Do you see a parallel with the way he's been handling Galchenyuk since last year? And yes, I fully understand that Galchenyuk is not at Seguin's or Kessel's level, but they once were where he is now. What is it that Julien did or didn't do, that contributed to these players to not remain Bruins?

I only have anecdotes re: Julien and Kessel/Seguin. Well, one anecdote and one observation. With Kessel, apparently Julien didn't like his work ethic - the anecdote I heard was that he questioned why Kessel didn't work out more off-ice. So if the coach fundamentally doesn't respect you, playing with commitment is going to be a challenge. I don't remember specifics re: playing him or not playing him. Julien is known to have a short leash with some youngsters (except, curiously, with Jordan Caron, who played well beyond his expiration date, typically as a fourth line grinder).
With Seguin, I remember the book on him was that he just wasn't good defensively, that is, getting back when offense turns to defense. In Seguin's last weeks with the team, he looked timid, and awful. He would enter the zone with speed, as if to start a play, and then fire the puck, or look for an easy pass, and start cycling from there. He showed no creativity, as if he didn't want to go too deep into the zone. I think he was scared to make a mistake.
No one knows - or at least I don't know, why they got rid of Seguin, but management is still taking heat for trading, in essence, a horse for "ponies." I would guess that Julien had something, or a lot, to do with that. Funny, Julien loved one of the ponies we got back - Louie Eriksson - who's now wasting space with Vancouver.
The only parallel with Galchenyuk is the seeming lack of respect for what he does well, shown by shifting him back and forth to the fourth line. My guess is Julien will want Galchenyuk - and Drouin, for that matter - to work harder defensively. See if that stifles their offensive spirit. That's what I'd watch for.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yes - playing him on the 4th line will help him turn things around, I'm sure.

Don't kid yourself. This is media talk. At this very moment there's the equivalent of a craigslist selling ad for Galchenyuk around the league.

You wouldn't like Scotty Bowman I presume. He was of the opinion that when an offensive playes does not produce and has confidence issues, you reduce his minutes, let him concentrate and take pleasure from other parts of the game (scoring becomes secondary) and build him up from there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Based on yesterday's practice lines, I believe so. Him and Hemsky are locks on the wings while Mitchell and DLR were rotating.

That's what I noticed too. Boy oh boy, Julien doesn't like Galchenyuk. Sink or swim type coaching going on here and lets see how Galchenyuk responds.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I agree with you. I like the idea that CJ was trying to stick with the same lines to develop chemistry. However, sometimes you just can't force a line to gel.

I hope Julien does some tweaking. I also hope that Julien let's Muller know that his approach on offense and the PP is not working and changes need to be made.

The Habs have the talent and the goals will come...with a few changes.

My gripe is he broke up a line that was working (without the results) with Pleks/Lehk/Hudon. However, I get he was trying to get the other lines working. That said, Drouin/Patches still haven't really gotten moving and they've been together since preseason.

As for the PP, yeah, it's pretty sad. Changes need to be done there.

I will still maintain though the issue is with our defence. We fix that, I think our 5v5 goals will start coming in. Our forwards are spending far too much time playing defence, or trying to play defence I mean.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My gripe is he broke up a line that was working (without the results) with Pleks/Lehk/Hudon. However, I get he was trying to get the other lines working. That said, Drouin/Patches still haven't really gotten moving and they've been together since preseason.

As for the PP, yeah, it's pretty sad. Changes need to be done there.

I will still maintain though the issue is with our defence. We fix that, I think our 5v5 goals will start coming in. Our forwards are spending far too much time playing defence, or trying to play defence I mean.

In the last two games we out shot the Blackhawks (42-25) and the Leafs (34-22). These are two of the hottest teams in the league. IMO, we clearly have goal scoring problems and our forward group is too soft. If we don't score on the PP and limit the other team to 2 goals or under, we are going to struggle to win games. Our D can use upgrades but they will be fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks like Julien's plan with Galchenyuk is to play him on the 4th line (5/5 play) but give him PP time. I guess this way, we shelter how bad he is defensively? If he is actually on the trade market, this is not the way you get full value. I don't support Galchenyuk playing on the 4th line in any situation.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Looks like Julien's plan with Galchenyuk is to play him on the 4th line (5/5 play) but give him PP time. I guess this way, we shelter how bad he is defensively? If he is actually on the trade market, this is not the way you get full value. I don't support Galchenyuk playing on the 4th line in any situation.

I don't either. It's just dumb

The team hasn't won a game in 2 weeks. Time to shuffle the cards Clode.....

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
oh geez, I dunno, we are rid of therrien, so it's all good right? Coach Jesus mc'chicken nugget will have us covered in no time!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't either. It's just dumb

The team hasn't won a game in 2 weeks. Time to shuffle the cards Clode.....

Totally agree. I would do this...

Fill in the blanks (Byron, Hudon, Galchenyuk)
Patch / Danault / ????
???? / Drouin / Lehkonen
???? / Pleky / Gallagher
DLR / Shaw / Mitchell
Hemsky

Mete / Weber
Davidson / Petry
Alzner / Benn
Jerabek
Morrow

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is it time we evaluate our new coach? What are peoples thoughts about sticking with a current line-up? I believe it's time to shake up the roster line-up. 4 games in and it's not working.
Problem last few years couldn't have been Michel Therrein! For all those crying for Terrein's firing last 2-3 years. Team is struggling more with Julien and he is suppose to be among best in business.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Problem last few years couldn't have been Michel Therrein! For all those crying for Terrein's firing last 2-3 years. Team is struggling more with Julien and he is suppose to be among best in business.

I think MT is a better system coach while CJ is a better players coach. Problem with the Habs is Julien is not used to dealing with lack of depth up the middle. Julien needs to switch things up so we have a more balanced attack. Patch with Drouin is not working and we got all our eggs in one basket.

Patch / Danault / Byron
Galchenyuk / Drouin / Gallagher
Hudon / Pleky / Lehkonen
DLR / Shaw / Scherbak
Mitchell
Hemsky (bye bye)

Mete / Weber
Alzner / Davidson
Jerabek / Petry
Benn
Morrow

Price
Lindgren

* Benn over Beaulieu: Very bad move by Bergevin. We could use Beaulieu right now. Never did like this move. Benn also looks terrible this year too. What the hell happen to him.

* Morrow over Davidson. Very bad move by Julien. Morrow can't play D and leaves us exposed with his terrible decision making.

* Montoya over Lindgren. We need to see what Lindgren can do at the NHL level. Give him some games please when Price sits.

* Scherbak. What are we getting from Gallagher and Lehkonen? It's time we sit players to send a message. Demoting Galchenyuk and giving everybody else a pass is ridiculous. Sit either Gallagher or Lehkonen and give Scherbak a few games.

* Petry. He is not playing very well. This hurts and with Benn also playing terrible, our bottom 4D is the problem. Alzner has been expected but with Schlemko hurt, we have problems on D!

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I don't like the taste of what's in the blender. Let's just turn it on for another 10 seconds, see if that helps.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I only have anecdotes re: Julien and Kessel/Seguin. Well, one anecdote and one observation. With Kessel, apparently Julien didn't like his work ethic - the anecdote I heard was that he questioned why Kessel didn't work out more off-ice. So if the coach fundamentally doesn't respect you, playing with commitment is going to be a challenge. I don't remember specifics re: playing him or not playing him. Julien is known to have a short leash with some youngsters (except, curiously, with Jordan Caron, who played well beyond his expiration date, typically as a fourth line grinder).
With Seguin, I remember the book on him was that he just wasn't good defensively, that is, getting back when offense turns to defense. In Seguin's last weeks with the team, he looked timid, and awful. He would enter the zone with speed, as if to start a play, and then fire the puck, or look for an easy pass, and start cycling from there. He showed no creativity, as if he didn't want to go too deep into the zone. I think he was scared to make a mistake.
No one knows - or at least I don't know, why they got rid of Seguin, but management is still taking heat for trading, in essence, a horse for "ponies." I would guess that Julien had something, or a lot, to do with that. Funny, Julien loved one of the ponies we got back - Louie Eriksson - who's now wasting space with Vancouver.
The only parallel with Galchenyuk is the seeming lack of respect for what he does well, shown by shifting him back and forth to the fourth line. My guess is Julien will want Galchenyuk - and Drouin, for that matter - to work harder defensively. See if that stifles their offensive spirit. That's what I'd watch for.

The way you describe Seguin...sounds eerily like how Galchenyuks playing at the moment.

It happened with Kovalev too, who he played on his off wing for some reason.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
It is time to send a message to Pacioretty (who btw has the exact same amounts of points than Galchenyuk since Claude's arrival, 19 in 35 G, despite an average of 5 minutes more per games)

Hudon Drouin Galchenyuk
Byron Danault Gallagher
Paccioretty Plek Lekhonen
De La Rose Mitchell Shaw

Reactions: themilosh

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yikes, hate to say it but this team is poorly coached right now, very Therrien like in its play. Poorly positioned on the PP, PK and players look confused over assignments. The good news is he's here another 5 years to figure it out...

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Yikes, hate to say it but this team is poorly coached right now, very Therrien like in its play. Poorly positioned on the PP, PK and players look confused over assignments. The good news is he's here another 5 years to figure it out...

Did Weber really log 28 minutes? At that rate he'll be toast by Christmas. Julien did the same thing with Chara in Boston towards the end. Played him into the ground so by the spring he had nothing in the tank. At least the team scored first.

Elfward7

Jun 24, 2016
I'm torn bc the team feels like it needs so many pieces added to what we currently have in order to make it work and even our ~$9M in cap space can't bring in everything needed to fix it all. Unfortunately bc there's too much money being spent in the bottom 6 and you'd have to give up some of the roster pieces we do have in order to make it work, it won't happen. I wouldn't risk moving picks as we desperately need to restock the cupboards.

1: ??? (Winger with size - Lucic/Ladd style) / Drouin / Galchenyuk
2: Pacioretty / ??? / Gallagher
3: Hudon / Plekanec / Lehkonen
4: Byron / Danault / Shaw

Defense is a mess with the amount of money being spent on Alzner and Petry when they don't produce much. Better off finding cheap options who can move the puck to allow us to go with:

Mete / Weber
??? / Petry
Alzner / ???

It's so odd bc I felt for years that I hated how we didn't have defensemen who could clear the crease when things got nasty in front of Price. Now we have a couple bigger bodies but they can't move the puck.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Any of you believe Julien will start coaching at one point this year or will he bore us to death all the way to the bottom of the standing?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The last thing you want to see as a player is your coach panic, and when I saw Chucky-Drouin-Pacioretty playing together 10 minutes in tonight, I got the vibe Julien was panicking and I can only imagine the players could see it. He was sticking to his own game plan and if your coach isn’t sure in himself, your team is going to be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad