"Classy" acts by fans

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Hello, everybody.
I'm a fairly new hockey fan, so the best I've seen so far is the likes of Crosby, Ovie etc.. In a recent thread I saw Laine compared to Mario Lemieux, so I thought I really should go back and see what the fuss was about. Well, he was obviously a scrub who wouldn't make it today!:sarcasm:
(I mean really!:amazed:)
The thing, though, that really got me was the rapturous reception he got in Philadelphia when he came back.
Would that happen today? If Crosby or Giroux went down and came back the way Mario did, would the fan bases cheer the way Philly fans did then?
I'm looking for other instances of hockey fans being great, gracious and "classy" towards another team's players, because it's wonderful.
(Trying to get my friends to follow hockey in Australia ain't easy!)

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
Back when Jarome Iginla was relevant he was widely seen as a classy player. His handling of Trevor Linden's last game was very classy.

edit: oh, the fans. The Oiler fans applauding Craig Anderson getting first star comes to mind. Drawing a blank otherwise.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Back when Jarome Iginla was relevant he was widely seen as a classy player. His handling of Trevor Linden's last game was very classy.

edit: oh, the fans. The Oiler fans applauding Craig Anderson getting first star comes to mind. Drawing a blank otherwise.

Heheh, I've already done the "Classy NHL" search and Iginla/Linden comes up early.
Something tells me that "Classy" isn't the first word that comes to mind among HF fans of Vancouver or Colorado about Iginla and Linden now though!:laugh:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Winnipeg gave Stamkos a standing ovation when he hit 60 goals against us in 11/12.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Leaf fans gave Sundin a standing ovation when he scored the game winning shootout goal against them in his first game back as a canuck. Thought that was pretty cool.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Pittsburgh chanting USA for Miller after losing the gold in 2010 because his first game back of course was against Crosby. Also after Hasek won gold for the Czech Republic Buffalo was flying Czech flags for him. Even mentioned how amazing it was for him in several interviews. Those are just two I can think of that made an impact with me.

Starts at 1:15

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Something similar to Iginla I.e players not fans.

In Smyttys last game the Nucks led by Henrik lined up and shook hands with him (after a loss). Very respectful, very classy.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Leafs fans giving Sundin a standing ovation and making him cry during his return to Toronto. Then preceding to boo him every time he touched the puck.

Classic hockey fandom right there.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The microphone cut out at a leafs game in Toronto once during the US national anthem (think it was against Buffalo) anyways the fans in the ACC all sang the US anthem loud and together. Thought that was very classy and respectful.

EDIT: poster above

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As a Bruins fan I will never forget how Flyers fans reacted after the Marathon bombing.

Their 50/50 that night went to the One Fund Boston..... it was the largest jackpot they ever had.

When Gary Carter passed away the Habs honored him and it sent a clear message to MLB that Montreal wants the Expos back.

[NHL]158885[/NHL]

Last edited:

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Fenway, I keep an eye on every board here because of posters like you. Even though you're a Bruins fan (I just won't stand for them!) you always add to my understanding of hockey and the industry that surrounds it! :)

LookAtThosePepperoni

I am he who loves all, when I'm in the mood.
Jan 28, 2016
The fans gave Koivu an 8 minute standing ovation when he returned from his battle against cancer.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When Derick Brassard returned to MSG for the first time with the Senators they started a video tribute and I was expecting everyone to just cheer after the video, but they cheered non-stop through video, and then stood up when it was over.

I didn't know everyone loved Brassard that much.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway, I keep an eye on every board here because of posters like you. Even though you're a Bruins fan (I just won't stand for them!) you always add to my understanding of hockey and the industry that surrounds it! :)

Thank you for that :)

I'm older than most here but I had no input on when I was born :D

When the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 1970, CBS televised the game in the US and hired Bobby Hull to do color. In those days the announcers had to walk through the balcony to get to their broadcast position. That afternoon Bruins fans gave Hull a standing ovation as he walked through the first balcony as they saluted what a great rival he was and acknowledged how he made himself available after games to sign every last autograph.

One thing I have learned - when something goes bad, hockey fans stick together. :handclap::handclap:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Flyers standing ovation for Lemieux when he announced he was first retiring after 1997 playoffs. Flyers eliminated Pens in playoffs and gave him quite a send off. Will post video later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad