CL Round of 16----matches begin today

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Interesting. I've always found that Aurier has the poorer defensive positioning. Southampton got so many runs behind him early on and managed to score because of it.
I remember he schooled Ronaldo a few years ago in UCL.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Interesting. I've always found that Aurier has the poorer defensive positioning. Southampton got so many runs behind him early on and managed to score because of it.

I’m not saying Aurier is better at anything than Trippier except being stronger.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes he can be extremely reckless. But that's also a forte sometimes. His agressiveness, when mastered, can be dominant.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Aurier was excellent? At what? Relative improvement maybe.

I can’t take that seriously.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Being better than Davies doesn’t say much. And I’m not even sure he was.

Davies just isn’t good enough though. Everyone except Pochettino know that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, he was awful during 50 minutes, as I said.
But the last 40 were very good quality. Watch it again. He was very dynamic on the right side and made some key moves defensively.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yes. Watch him again. You watch him again. Such a dumb “argument”.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
And his marking on defensive set pieces. That I could agree is quite “dynamic”.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes. Watch him again. You watch him again. Such a dumb “argument”.
Well, you just went by your impression of his first 50 minutes.
If you have the opportunity to re-watch the last 40, do it and you'll see he was very good.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Being better than Davies doesn’t say much. And I’m not even sure he was.

Davies just isn’t good enough though. Everyone except Pochettino know that.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. For real now? Davies has had a great season. He was our best player until Kane woke up from his august slumber. He became less prominent when Rose came back, but he had a great set of games against United, Liverpool and Arsenal (what a cross).

Not denying that he didn't stink today.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Let me just credit the first referee. Thought he was spot on. One of his linesmen though I am less fond of.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Whoa, whoa, whoa. For real now? Davies has had a great season. He was our best player until Kane woke up from his august slumber. He became less prominent when Rose came back, but he had a great set of games against United, Liverpool and Arsenal (what a cross).

Not denying that he didn't stink today.

He hasn’t got the pace or close control to get passed players. He is poor one on one defensively. Not surprised he gets exposed against good teams. Playing full back against WBA isn’t the same.

He could have a good career in a 3 man defense or as a stay at home full back at a bottom half side. Will never be good enough to play against the best teams. Same with Trippier unfortunately - even if he can cross at least.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He hasn’t got the pace or close control to get passed players. He is poor one on one defensively. Not surprised he gets exposed against good teams. Playing full back against WBA isn’t the same.

He could have a good career in a 3 man defense or as a stay at home full back at a bottom half side. Will never be good enough to play against the best teams. Same with Trippier unfortunately - even if he can cross at least.

Well, I disagree. He was bloody brilliant during the first months of the season.

Dembele was really good

Has been an absolute tank these past two weeks. Maybe we shouldn't look to find his replacement yet.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Right. "Bloody brilliant". Running out of ways to describe the likes of Eriksen and Kane then?

What can Davies do with the ball out wide? He can´t get passed players so he usually hits it into the defender, and you would hope it would lead to a corner, but he is so slow it more often leads to a throw in.

I like your optimism, but to me it is so obvious he is one out of two weak links. Replace Sanchez with Alderweireld and 9 out of the 11 players starting today could hold their ground against almost anyone on a good day. Aurier is physically capable of it, but he is just lost for some reason. Aurier might not make it. Davies never will. The rest can.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Right. "Bloody brilliant". Running out of ways to describe the likes of Eriksen and Kane then?

What can Davies do with the ball out wide? He can´t get passed players so he usually hits it into the defender, and you would hope it would lead to a corner, but he is so slow it more often leads to a throw in.

I like your optimism, but to me it is so obvious he is one out of two weak links. Replace Sanchez with Alderweireld and 9 out of the 11 players starting today could hold their ground against almost anyone on a good day. Aurier is physically capable of it, but he is just lost for some reason. Aurier might not make it. Davies never will. The rest can.

Davies is on average a decent player for Tottenham. Not sure how somebody can think otherwise. He did have a run early on in the season where he looked better than Eriksen and Kane, yes.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
And Spurs don´t have much use for decent players if they want to win anything. I´m fine with Davies being in the squad, but if he starts when everyone are fit we got a problem - as shown tonight.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
And Spurs don´t have much use for decent players if they want to win anything. I´m fine with Davies being in the squad, but if he starts when everyone are fit we got a problem - as shown tonight.

"Decent player for Tottenham".

Every team has their decent players. You can't have a team without players the supporters of a team consider decent for the team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If United could win trophies with Park and O'Shea, Tottenham can win trophies with the least important position on the pitch being just a decent player.

They need to upgrade a few other positions to get there. First coming to mind is Lamela's.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
If United could win trophies with Park and O'Shea, Tottenham can win trophies with the least important position on the pitch being just a decent player.

They need to upgrade a few other positions to get there. First coming to mind is Lamela's.

Park was elite at his one skill and O'Shea is a good defender as long as he's not the one giving orders. Davies is an alright player and quite handy for league matches, but doesn't really have it on either half of the pitch to be a guy that is playing in CL. For a team that wants to be in the European conversation he's a rotation option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad