U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Game is pretty sloppy right now but I like how Woo and Brook are playing. Scott seems strong.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thoughts:

Looking at the schedule for all the sh***storms coming out of Canada Canada remains Canada. Playing fair was never their virtue in that series. I can't imagine any unsurmountable obstacles that prevented creating a schedule for the series that would NOT start in the West with back to back games, NOT having just one day off between WHL and OHL games(especially with three(!) days off between the two OHL games) and NOT having the transition beween OHL and QMJHL being back to back again especially with the series stretched over 10 days(make it 11, 12, 14 days if need be). Canada will have completely fresh teams in those first games for every league so those while Russians will have to play most of their roster back to back and start the series in the most distant time zone after travelling from Russia in back to back games. This is a schedule deliberately set up to make it as tough as possible on Team Russia and nobody will convince me it could not be done otherwise. There is no urgency starting the series at a specific date(or place) or ending it on one. The whole change of the order of the games a couple of years back was about the same objective too, just to let Russia start in the West instead of a closer time zone with less travel before the series. Amazing how obsessed the CHL/Hockey Canada must be about winning this series.

Anyway, Russia sends a most unusual roster this time. Not much offence really. Even the D looks more prominent. It will be a tough test for Team Russia regardless.

More of your “Russia the Victim” garbage.

You’re an intelligent hockey fan and clearly passionate about the game, but you let your distrust and paranoia about NA consume you. Canadians are fair, competitive people.

Russians are always treated fairly here and our people know the shared history we have with “our” game. I put our in quotations because we know the Soviets pushed us to be better at our game in 1972. The modern cycle and cross ice movement with speed were Soviet innovations, indeed, the modern game we see today is a mix of Canadian grit and board play with Soviet skill and puck control through lateral movement.

There’s a reason your Russian youngsters play our youngsters over a 6 game series annually and not the Yanks and Tre Kronor.

Perhaps it’s not Canadians that are the problem, but Russian culture that doesn’t value hockey the same way.

In case you forgot, Canadian people raised money to buy the trophy for the Soviet champions in the 1981 Canada Cup. More recently, our coach wore the Ribbon of St. George on Victory Day in support of our WW2 allies at the Russian hosted 2016 IIHF WHC.

Anyways, stop whining. Good game going into the 3rd.

Reactions: jj cale

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I see now, why Leason leads the WHL. He's big and really fast.

He’s good but also on a powerhouse team in Prince Albert. The same team Leon Draisaitl developed playing for.

The WHL guys to watch for the 2019 draft are Kirby Dach and Dylan Cozens. Both in the 6’3-6’4 range for height and play a solid two way game. Dach might push Hughes for #1 OA if he keeps pace.

For Russia, Alexeyev is good in Red Deer for the Rebels. He’s not as good as Provorov was for Brandon in the WHL. Provorov had as good of a season as a WHL D man in his last junior year that I’ve seen in the last 20 or so years in the WHL.

Reactions: jj cale

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Thoughts:

Looking at the schedule for all the sh***storms coming out of Canada Canada remains Canada. Playing fair was never their virtue in that series. I can't imagine any unsurmountable obstacles that prevented creating a schedule for the series that would NOT start in the West with back to back games, NOT having just one day off between WHL and OHL games(especially with three(!) days off between the two OHL games) and NOT having the transition beween OHL and QMJHL being back to back again especially with the series stretched over 10 days(make it 11, 12, 14 days if need be). Canada will have completely fresh teams in those first games for every league so those while Russians will have to play most of their roster back to back and start the series in the most distant time zone after travelling from Russia in back to back games. This is a schedule deliberately set up to make it as tough as possible on Team Russia and nobody will convince me it could not be done otherwise. There is no urgency starting the series at a specific date(or place) or ending it on one. The whole change of the order of the games a couple of years back was about the same objective too, just to let Russia start in the West instead of a closer time zone with less travel before the series. Amazing how obsessed the CHL/Hockey Canada must be about winning this series.

Anyway, Russia sends a most unusual roster this time. Not much offence really. Even the D looks more prominent. It will be a tough test for Team Russia regardless.

You are clearly being intentionally obtuse because in the real world no one could possibly be like the way you pretend.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russia is way better, than WHL in the 3rd so far.

Agreed. I thought they’ve outplayed the WHL.

Alexeyev has been excellent defensively. Still think the CHL isn’t good for Russians? Maybe D men are the exception. Provorov, Sergachev, Alexeyev.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wooo!!!

WHL goal 2-1. Bellevrie from Leason and Fix-Wolansky

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good rush by the Russian forward there and good D by Woo

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The game is meaningless, of course, but I can't understand officiating in the 3rd. Hate to whine about it, usually, but it's weird.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What was that Russian penalty even for?

I don't know, I've stopped paying attention because of the camera issues. Was kind of hoping for a Russian push at the end so I could see how Scott looks in the situation (I'm a Leafs fan, interested in getting a rare look at Scott).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Looks like Russia will have a typical Bragin coached team. Tough, hard on the puck, and play 60 minutes.

Hopefully we meet Russia for Gold at the WJC. My gut is they’ll have more heart and soul than the Yanks and Swedes.

Bragin is such a good coach at this level, especially for the Canadian smaller rink style game.

Solid win for the WHL.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know, I've stopped paying attention because of the camera issues. Was kind of hoping for a Russian push at the end so I could see how Scott looks in the situation (I'm a Leafs fan, interested in getting a rare look at Scott).

He played well. Pretty even game overall, rare occurrence with the Russians outshooting us.

Scott was steady.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad