Confirmed with Link: Chychrun to WSH for Nick Jensen and 2026 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To give Walker the equivalent amount of money as he'll take home in Carolina, we would've had to have paid ~4.6M per season.

There'd also the added premium of getting him to come to Canada and play for a team that's not a perennial Stanley Cup contender. To get a return phone, Staios probably would have had to start at 5x5.

And the thinking is probably that both Sanderson and Chabot are going to be the primary puck carriers on their pairings, and they wanted to partner them with what Marc Methot describes as a "cooler". Someone who doesn't need the puck and can be safe and solid defensively.

Chabot played his best hockey with Demelo. Jensen is basically Demelo. So is Zub.

And to be honest, there are still a lot of questions about this "core". So I don't blame management for going after short term veterans and not locking themselves into even more 4-5+ year deals.
Sanderson Walker could be an unbelievable first pair Ala Toews and makar. I'd even go 5 X 5. But anyways too late now.

I like Jensen but am really worried he lost a step

Reactions: Icelevel

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Sanderson Walker could be an unbelievable first pair Ala Toews and makar. I'd even go 5 X 5. But anyways too late now.

I like Jensen but am really worried he lost a step

Eh I don't know.

It wasn't long ago that Walker was the whipping boy in LA, and while he rebuilt his value in Philadelphia, he's still better suited to be a bottom-pairing defenseman on a good team (at best a #4). He was 5th in ice-time among D in Colorado in the playoffs, playing ~18 min a night, which is the right role for him.

Carolina is paying him #4 or 5 money thanks to their tax advantages and being a place players want to go, which is great for them.

But 5x5 and on a top pairing? No thanks.

I understand why Staios wanted to go short-term. There are still so many question marks on this roster, the last thing we need is another long-term overpay on the books.

Reactions: LiseL and thinkwild

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I prefer the cap flexibility. I think Staios was smart not to lock himself in to any of the guys available other than the couple big fish at the top. Roy, Tanev & Pesce were just about the only ones I would have been happy with, and that Tanev contract is basically LTIR built in already.

I like the Mangiapane suggestion, but still prefer Perron since he didn't cost a 2nd.

Reactions: LiseL and thinkwild

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I prefer the cap flexibility. I think Staios was smart not to lock himself in to any of the guys available other than the couple big fish at the top. Roy, Tanev & Pesce were just about the only ones I would have been happy with, and that Tanev contract is basically LTIR built in already.
He appears to be the anti Dorion, in that he's quite patient.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
100%. Dorion was a very busy GM in general.

It may seem boring to a lot of people, but I think every move they made this summer at least makes sense, regardless of how it works out.

I felt like goaltending was priority 1 this summer, so was happy to see Staios say the same. A lot of people seemed to want to run it back with Korpi5alo.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
100%. Dorion was a very busy GM in general.

It may seem boring to a lot of people, but I think every move they made this summer at least makes sense, regardless of how it works out.

I felt like goaltending was priority 1 this summer, so was happy to see Staios say the same. A lot of people seemed to want to run it back with Korpi5alo.
Really? I can;t imagine anyone with eyes wanting to run Korpisalo back. Even if he has eye surgery and can see again, I'll pass on the grass.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I felt like I was taking crazy pills but there had been some loud voices claiming he would "bounce back".
He couldn't bounce any lower, so, sure.

Good, I'm glad he's showing patience for a team that's on 7 years out of the playoffs and are coming off a 78 point season. We don't need f***ing patience. We need to strap this team to a rocket ship and clear the launch pad.
That'll happen if they don't show marked improvement this year IMO. Like....clear the decks and build around Sanderson and Stu basically. Which f***ing sucks if it happens.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Good, I'm glad he's showing patience for a team that's on 7 years out of the playoffs and are coming off a 78 point season. We don't need f***ing patience. We need to strap this team to a rocket ship and clear the launch pad.
Maybe, but we don't need anymore splashy short sighted moves with crippling consequences.
He couldn't bounce any lower, so, sure.

That'll happen if they don't show marked improvement this year IMO. Like....clear the decks and build around Sanderson and Stu basically. Which f***ing sucks if it happens.
Exactly. If you're honest about his career, he has nothing to bounce back to unless he's having another one of his rare outlier seasons that will surely then be surrounded by seasons of poo.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, that approach did wonders when we traded , 7OA, 12OA, three 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick for a year of DBC and a year of Chychrun.

7 years of failure is in the past, you learn from it or are doomed to repeat it. You can't just will the team to be better, you have to make the right moves at the right time, and while you might really want that time to be now, your feelings aren't what determines when the right time is.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I’m still confused why Sens fans thought we’d get a much better return for Chychrun than we did. I get Chychrun is a flashy name, and other fans may not realize how bad he was, but Sens fans were watching the games last year…right? This guy was a disaster defensively and only good offensively under DJ Smith.

You realize Dorion tried to accelerate the rebuild with the Debrincat and Chychrun deals, and it totally backfired, right?

Reactions: LiseL

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m still confused why Sens fans thought we’d get a much better return for Chychrun than we did. I get Chychrun is a flashy name, and other fans may not realize how bad he was, but Sens fans were watching the games last year…right? This guy was a disaster defensively and only good offensively under DJ Smith.

You realize Dorion tried to accelerate the rebuild with the Debrincat and Chychrun deals, and it totally backfired, right?
He played for the senators. One of the worst defensive and structured teams in recent memory.
He’ll be a 50 point guy in Washington and won’t look anywhere near as bad defensively.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Eh I don't know.

It wasn't long ago that Walker was the whipping boy in LA, and while he rebuilt his value in Philadelphia, he's still better suited to be a bottom-pairing defenseman on a good team (at best a #4). He was 5th in ice-time among D in Colorado in the playoffs, playing ~18 min a night, which is the right role for him.

Carolina is paying him #4 or 5 money thanks to their tax advantages and being a place players want to go, which is great for them.

But 5x5 and on a top pairing? No thanks.

I understand why Staios wanted to go short-term. There are still so many question marks on this roster, the last thing we need is another long-term overpay on the books.
He was unreal on both Philly and Colorado. Players d men especially develop later on I'll take his most recent play over 3 years ago. His goals above replacement was top 10 for d men in the NHL last year. Eye test matched it. 18 minutes a night is top 4 ice time. They just have a very good/deep d core. Demelo plays top pair it's about the fit not the designation and the right amount of ice time.

I do understand the short term but disagree they go full rebuild anytime soon. All the sens best players are 25 and under. All teams that win cups or go deep typically have a core in their late 20's.

You loved losing eh.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
He was unreal on both Philly and Colorado. Players d men especially develop later on I'll take his most recent play over 3 years ago. His goals above replacement was top 10 for d men in the NHL last year. Eye test matched it. 18 minutes a night is top 4 ice time. They just have a very good/deep d core. Demelo plays top pair it's about the fit not the designation and the right amount of ice time.

I do understand the short term but disagree they go full rebuild anytime soon. All the sens best players are 25 and under. All teams that win cups or go deep typically have a core in their late 20's.

I don't think they go full rebuild anytime soon, but I don't think there was an appetite to give 4+ year contracts to UFAs this summer, especially since we're a market that'd have to overpay on such deals.

Jensen was a good fit because he's a veteran who's only signed for 2 more seasons, so you get some stability at a position of need, but without much risk.

Hopefully if we compete for a wildcard this season, our young players take another step and we re-sign Ullmark, we're a more attractive destination for next year's, or 2026's, UFA crop.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think they go full rebuild anytime soon, but I don't think there was an appetite to give 4+ year contracts to UFAs this summer, especially since we're a market that'd have to overpay on such deals.

Jensen was a good fit because he's a veteran who's only signed for 2 more seasons, so you get some stability at a position of need, but without much risk.

Hopefully if we compete for a wildcard this season, our young players take another step and we re-sign Ullmark, we're a more attractive destination for next year's, or 2026's, UFA crop.
In theory yes but his play has dropped the last season and he is 33 years old. I know the sens options were limited but this is risky.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
In theory yes but his play has dropped the last season and he is 33 years old. I know the sens options were limited but this is risky.

From what I've read from Caps fans, he's still a top notch skater who should age relatively well and a lot of his struggles last year could be attributed to the change in system which affected several of their d-men.

Now, I certainly don't think Jensen is a great top-4 option if you're a team trying to win multiple playoff rounds. But if you're a team trying to compete for a wildcard and have less breakdowns in your own end? He's perfectly fine.

He's also a guy who can handle a lot of PK minutes, and it'd be good to take some of that burden off Jake Sanderson.

I'm curious to see what Chabot looks like with a partner who's predictable, calm and safe, like Demelo was.

Reactions: Relapsing and LiseL

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think Staios is more intentional than he is patient. And I think Dorion was more unprepared than he was impatient.

It feels to me like he probably had two deals ready to go for Chychrun, one for if he could sign a RD in free agency and this one if he couldn’t. So he essentially left himself no situation in which he’d walk into next season without one.

If it was Dorion, he would’ve just overpaid someone a crazy amount and if that didn’t work he would’ve traded Chychrun for picks and said we believe Matinpalo can be a top 4 defenceman after watching him in Belleville last year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Jensen fits our needs, he's a 2nd pairing D, not too much term or cap hit, and a vet version of DeMelo, Zub, Roy, etc...

But swallowing turning a 12th overall and 2 second round picks into Jensen and a 3rd is atrocious. I get it, Dorion left us asset depleted, guys like Roy, Tanev, Pesce, etc... might have wanted more to come to Ottawa, so filling the 2RD hole wasn't going to be easy.

Still, it just feels like having to eat a shit sandwich. I really wish we had gotten a better RD and just flipped Chychrun for picks and prospects, but Jensen does fill a need.

Reactions: DrEasy

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
He played for the senators. One of the worst defensive and structured teams in recent memory.
He’ll be a 50 point guy in Washington and won’t look anywhere near as bad defensively.
But Chychrun was a huge reason why the Sens were brutal defensively. His effort was laughable, he was constantly turned the wrong way and looked like a pylon.

His -30 was 13th worst in the NHL, and worst for Ottawa defensemen. His underlying defensive numbers weren’t much better.

I guess the Chychrun fever hasn’t left everyone yet.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Maybe, but his play dropped a lot when Martin took over.

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the Capitals structured defensively. They routinely got outplayed this season.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - JBD

...it's an improvement, but a terribly underwhelming return for Chychrun. And Washington gets Roy for 7yrs at 38.5M.

Chabot and Norris contracts totally handcuffing Staios.
I was watching Trade Day on TSN yesterday. During an interview with Claire and Bruce, they mentioned that SS tried all of the UFA RD available but none would sign here. It wasn't a question of money.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Chychrun's role on the caps is the same as everyone elses, get Ovie past Gretzky's goal record and they'll figure out life after that.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
But Chychrun was a huge reason why the Sens were brutal defensively. His effort was laughable, he was constantly turned the wrong way and looked like a pylon.

His -30 was 13th worst in the NHL, and worst for Ottawa defensemen. His underlying defensive numbers weren’t much better.

I guess the Chychrun fever hasn’t left everyone yet.
He wasn’t good. But his value as a 50pt guy is higher than a 3rd and Jensen.

I was watching Trade Day on TSN yesterday. During an interview with Claire and Bruce, they mentioned that SS tried all of the UFA RD available but none would sign here. It wasn't a question of money.
Those two are embarrassing together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad