Tribute Christian Bäckman

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
And? So what? We made a bad draft pick a quarter of a century ago. Why are we talking about him? Should I go to the Pittsburgh board and ask for their memories of Milan Kraft who was selected 1 spot before Bachman?

What is the purpose of this thread? We don't have fond memories of a meh draft pick who had a good season then washed.
Unnecessarily hostile sounding.

Sadly, there aren’t many interesting memories from the most hardcore Blues fans, but I don’t fault someone for being interested in him for whatever context. This seems like the right place to ask, to me.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
And? So what? We made a bad draft pick a quarter of a century ago. Why are we talking about him? Should I go to the Pittsburgh board and ask for their memories of Milan Kraft who was selected 1 spot before Bachman?

What is the purpose of this thread? We don't have fond memories of a meh draft pick who had a good season then washed.

i mean no disrespect, just curious. I have a thing for retired swedes.

Oh, Bäckman made Swedens roster for World Cup 2004 and Olympics 2006.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Unnecessarily hostile sounding.

Sadly, there aren’t many interesting memories from the most hardcore Blues fans, but I don’t fault someone for being interested in him for whatever context. This seems like the right place to ask, to me.

i mean no disrespect, just curious. I have a thing for retired swedes.

Oh, Bäckman made Swedens roster for World Cup 2004 and Olympics 2006.

You are right, I did come across too harsh. I apologize.

I still just don't understand. The guy only played a couple seasons with more than 50 games for us. He's not the type of player most fans would be nostalgic about. He wasn't great offensively, or a big hitter. He didn't have a long career here or any big successes. He was just a guy, despite being a first round pick.

But if you want to ask, hopefully someone here can provide the type of memories you are looking for.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Larry Pleau had taken over by then and we usually attributed draft success or failure to him. That was Pleau's first draft as GM. Some here may be able to speak to the weight of the scouting staff's input. Pleau and his team had several misses in their early years of drafting, but got much better as we transitioned to Army.

As others here have stated, Backman was big and skated well, so there was some reasonable expectation that he'd be able to hold his own in the NHL.

Matt 'Pylon' Walker (same Blues draft class) played more games than Backman.
Pretty sure Detroit was shocked when the Blues took Backman instead of Fisher in that draft. Ken Holland or on of the Detroit writers pointed out that Backman was a one dimensional defensemen.
Backman was ranked top 5 in European skaters and the Blues absolutely thought he was going to be the next Lidstrom.
The issue wasnt selecting Backman, before the higher rated Scott Gomez or J Cheechoo, it was the fact they used their first 3 selections on defensemen in 97, then their first 4 selections on defensemen in 98. They passed on some really solid forwards in 97-01 in the draft. They had a solid group of forward prospects, however traded nearly everyone of those forwards between 2000-2003.
Just some really crappy scouting and selections from 97-02.
53 total draft selections
10 draft picks played more then 100 games in the NHL
7 players played more then 200 games
3 players played more then 348 games
35 of the 53 players never skated in an NHL Game
6 of the 53 players never skated more then 28 games in the NHL

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
1725601005523.gif

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I'll always remember Backman for being the guy we took 2 or 3 spots of ahead of Scott Gomez in the '98 draft... Respectfully. I don't think New Jersey even thought Gomez would end up being the player he was. But that would have given us Turg, Gomez and Weight down the middle for a number of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad