Injury Report: Chris Kelly - Broken left tibia

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Long term the injury is good news since bones heal and its strait forward. Kelly is a good player he'll give our bottom 6 a boost in the playoffs (will be great to bring him back maybe mid 1st round and sit Thornton since there's no fighting and have a beast 4th line.)

He wasn't playing well the loss isn't that big if we add another player, give Spooner a chance as 3rd line center, and then get the best player outside the NHL in Soderberg on the team.

Kelly's spot will be 4th line when he returns if Soderberg and Spooner step up. PErfect 4th liner and affordable if we say sayanara to Campbell and Thornton.

It is good timing since Spooner gets a few games until Carl arrives.

jmeehan1985

Jan 3, 2012
I don't want to see anyone get hurt but I was hoping at least Kelly was out till the deadline so the Bruins were forced to make a move.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
You know what, I'd rather a break than a knee sprain or something. Those can linger. Hope he heals quick and this may help/prompt them to make moves to fill the gaps. Or maybe spooner is ready to make the jump and proves he belongs.

slovakfan*

I am not bruins fan. just asking. is he important player for bruins?
is there some suitable replacement?

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I am not bruins fan. just asking. is he important player for bruins?
is there some suitable replacement?

He's been having a down season much to the dismay of some HF posters. He's been better lately but he really was a solid piece when the B's went on their cup run. Great depth guy, good leader, and usually provides solid secondary scoring. Finding a replacement on the fly would be a bit difficult.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
That sucks. My wife is only in nursing school but she guessed at least 6-8 weeks without having any details. So he could possibly fill in for someone in the playoffs but they definitely have to move forward as though he's gone for the year.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
He's been having a down season much to the dismay of some HF posters. He's been better lately but he really was a solid piece when the B's went on their cup run. Great depth guy, good leader, and usually provides solid secondary scoring. Finding a replacement on the fly would be a bit difficult.

I think his PKing will be tough to replace without affecting other areas of the team

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
****** news.

Chris Kelly is a favorite, an unsung guy who does most things right, most of the time.

I guess it's time to see what Ryan Spooner can do. And, if losses like last night haven't raised the stakes per trade, this development does.

My previous thought was to go out and get solid veteran depth with scoring touch, and added D. Now, I wonder if the prospect of dealing for something bigger hasn't increased significantly.

marty

Jun 30, 2007
RT @ESPNJoeyMac: Bruins' Chris Kelly out indefinitely after breaking his left tibia vs Senators Monday night.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Chris Kelly is a favorite, an unsung guy who does most things right, most of the time.

I guess it's time to see what Ryan Spooner can do. And, if losses like last night haven't raised the stakes per trade, this development does.

My previous thought was to go out and get solid veteran depth with scoring touch, and added D. Now, I wonder if the prospect of dealing for something bigger hasn't increased significantly.

Yeah people want to rag on him because he's looked bad this year, but just look at the Pens game. That 3rd line was nothing short of horrendous.

They need to find someone to replace him. Whether that's Spooner, Soderberg, someone via trade, remains to be seen.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Years ago I incurred an injury in a game and thought that it was broken. It turned out to be a high ankle sprain which I though was a good thing. It turned out to take 18 months for it to be good enough to skate on...Doctor told me that I would've been better off breaking it. If there's no knee damage and if he doesn't need hardware surgically installed he'll be okay, maybe not for a couple months but still the news could be much worse.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
High ankle sprains are hard to recover from.

Broken tibia over the long term is probably a better prognosis than something with the knee. Tibia will heal, and given Kelly's age and athleticism, healing should be good.

May screw this season over though. And while Kelly was struggling offensively, he was a rock on the PK and was solid in faceoffs.

Chia needs to make a move and he needs to spend money. No bargain bin shopping for other team's castoffs.

If they shift Kelly to LTIR they can also use his cap for a rental if needed. Problem is the short season seems to make a lot of teams think they are going to finish in the playoffs and makes them unwilling to deal.

Wish Kelly the best and hopefully quick healing.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Just saw that his out indefinitely. Anyone know a timeline on this kind of break? This is much more serious than was first speculated.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Wasn't sure where to put this, but lost among the bajillion Welker tweets was this:

Billy Jaffe ‏@BJaffe
Even before Kelly injury news update I felt Bs would make pretty decent trade sooner rather than later. Cant see PC waiting 2 long now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad